RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 414
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 12 2012, 06:15 PM   #1081
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

284. Going the Distance (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A couple tries to make a long distance relationship work. Stars Drew Barrymore and her then real life boyfriend Justin Long. I thought it was a good story and a decent comedy. Both Drew and Justin played their parts well and they had chemistry. The humor wasn't too raunchy but it was pretty good.

285. House of Wax (✩✩) - DVD - A bunch of teens going on a camping trip end up in a town where its inhabitants have been encased in wax by two brothers. Stars Elisha Cuthbert. Not a good horror movie, but I liked seeing more of Paris Hilton in action.

Theatre: 18
DVD/Blu-ray: 106
Live TV: 112
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 40
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 02:47 AM   #1082
CaptainCanada
Admiral

111. Argo (A)

Ben Affleck continues to impress as a director. It's always a challenge to turn an event where everybody knows the ending, but he pulls if off here, and with a minimum of contrivance (the climax is made a lot more of a close call than I imagine it was in real life, but it never detracts from the film; one could easily imagine this was what was going through the escapees' heads as they were waiting in the airport). It's all in the editing, really, and an excellent cast of low-key actors (including Affleck himself, who smartly never overplays his own character's heroism). It's also fun to see Victor Garber, Affleck's "father-in-law", appearing in one of his films, playing Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor. John Goodman and Alan Arkin have the showiest parts, in the heavily satirical Hollywood portion of the movie.

I'd rank this above The Town but below Gone Baby Gone in Affleck's filmography.

Cinema: 30 (+1)
Home Video: 69
Computer: 12

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:03 AM   #1083
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Hatari! - DVD
Bachelorette - free admission
Hotel Transylvania 3D - free admission
Looper - free admission
Won't Back Down - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Pitch Perfect - free admission
Frankenweenie 3D - free admission
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - free admission
Miami Connection (1987) - employee screenin'
Salt - DVD
The House at the End of the Street - theater
Wake in Fright - free admission
Sinister - free admission

Went to Drafthouse South Lamar for two movies last night & tonight after work.

Last night was Wake in Fright, an Australian film from 1971, about a school teacher on a misguided holiday. I wanted to see it because its a film that's been "lost" for forty years and 'cause it had Donald Pleasance (the Halloween franchise) in it.

Not too bad a movie, really...

Tonight was Sinister, about a demonic force unleashed through "found footage". It was co-written by the guy who used to write for Ain't It Cool News under the name "Massawyrm" and he was there for a Q&A after the movie.

Again, not bad for a horror film, though I continue to wonder why no one in scary movies knows how to turn on a light.

Thinkin' I'll go see a documentary filmed at Fort Hood tomorrow, it's about how the current war veterens are copin' with their returns home.

And Monday night will be a double feature of Here Comes the Boom & Argo.
Old October 14 2012, 08:05 PM   #1084
Harvey
Admiral

157. Argo (B+)
158. 3:10 to Yuma [1957] (A-)
159. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (A)

Argo: My memory is a little hazy, since I saw this in the form of a screener months ago, but I remember liking it. It's hardly a masterpiece, though. I thought the escapees from the embassy were too thinly drawn for me to become fully invested in their fate. It doesn't help that they spend a lot of time arguing, no doubt one of the script's many embellishments from history to heighten the drama. It's a well-made movie, though (easily Affleck's best), and certainly worth seeing. If it takes the Academy Award for Best Picture, though, I think it will be one of those winners that doesn't have a lot of staying power in the popular memory, although I couldn't point to a more deserving film to come out this year off the top of my head.

3:10 to Yuma: I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, which struck me as superior to the remake (which is a perfectly fine Western in its own right) in every way. Glenn Ford was particularly good as the villain, oozing charm and stealing the screen whenever he was on it. The photography, too, was excellent, with an almost noirish quality which puts heavy shadows and foreground obstructions to good effect. The only fault I can locate is the ending, which is clumsily staged in parts and doesn't quite earn its final note. Still, it's a minor defect to an otherwise great movie. I was happy to see it in the cinema, too.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Perhaps it's just as well that nobody saw this film when it was released, because it dismantles the musical biopic film so completely that I think it would be hard for a viewer to sit through another one without laughing all the way through.

Theatres: 51+1
Home Video: 98+2

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 12:08 AM   #1085
od0_ital
Admiral

Hatari! - DVD
Looper - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Salt - DVD
Beer is Cheaper than Therapy - matinee

Went up to the Drafthouse Village for a benefit screenin' of a documentary filmed in Killeen/Fort Hood, Texas about soldiers with PTSD and how they have to cope with it, through medication, alcoholism, and so on...

There's a text quote at the beginning of the movie from the US Army that they wouldn't participate or want to see it.

Today's matinee was the U.S. premiere for the documentary, though it has played at film festivals overseas.

There was supposed to be a Q&A with the director after, but Village seemed to screw the pooch on timin'...
Old October 15 2012, 03:47 AM   #1086
CaptainCanada
Admiral

112. Farewell, My Queen (B+)

Alias "the lesbian Marie Antoinette movie", amusingly programmed by the Kingston Screening Room as a double-bill with the documentary The Queen of Versailles. The film takes as its basis various rumours about the relationship between the Queen and one of her favourites, the Duchess de Polignac, as told from the POV of the fictional Sidonie, the Queen's reader, who is also pretty clearly in love with her, though she doesn't realize it. The movie reflects the servants' POV stylistically as well, shot in a way that often recalls Kubrick's Barry Lyndon in its naturalism. Sidonie is played by Lea Seydoux, who, afterward, I realized I had seen twice last year, in Mission: Impossible 4 and Midnight in Paris (both in smallish parts). She's very strong in the lead part, a character whose struggles mightily with the fact that despite her devotion, the Queen ultimately regards her as a convenience. Diane Kruger's Antoinette is compelling, though really only observed from afar.

Cinema: 31 (+1)
Home Video: 69
Computer: 12

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:01 PM   #1087
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

78. Atlas Shrugged-Part One: B
79. Dredd: A-
80. Bridesmaids: C-
81. Taken 2: B
82. Atlas Shrugged-Part Two: C+

Bridesmaids - I don't see what all they excitement was about with this movie. Why did it break out and become the comedy phenom it did? What exactly were the scenes that had everyone in stitches? Was it the freaking out on the plane? Kristin Wigg's character losing it and trashing the upscale clubhouse by splashing in the chocolate fondue dip fountain? The food poisoning moment where they all are puking? I barely laughed at all during this movie. The fact I laughed some keeps it from being utter trash.

Taken 2 - While not better than the first I found it to be an enjoyable and logical extension of the first film. Points for using the same characters to keep continuity seamlessly alive. It also scores points imo for not again making Maggie Grace's character Kim a totally useless basket case. She was scared but acted and when her time to be "strong" was over she was relieved. I found that believable. The ending was predictable if anti-climatic. The movie took a beating by critics, unsure why. I feel they missed this one in their grading like many others. Audiences didn't care though. The only question now is where does the story for Taken 3 lead us? You know Brian will have run a background check on mystery boyfriend(I'm not sold on him).

Atlas Shrugged-Part Two: Speaking of continuity of cast from my prior film this installment flips over essentially all main cast from Part One. I don't think the story suffers any but I did like the actress playing Dagny Taggert in the first part better. She had more grit and gravitas I felt. It feels like the middle part of a story which is why my grade is a bit lower. That leads to the ending being a bit anti-climatic if not predictable based on what had been happening with people and now the magical "atmospheric energy creator" vanishing.
Not sure we'll see the conclusion as this installment dropped hard at the box office from Part One(not sure how they actually got this one out really). It's of course highly political in tone.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:16 PM   #1088
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Prometheus - On Demand - Ugh, where to start. First, I liked the movie but didn't love it. There was some disappointment sure, there were many, many missed opportunities in the film. Since I watched it on demand, I'm missing the bonus stuff with deleted scenes and other stuff it may have been fleshed out better. There were a few logical leaps that really took me out of the movie a bit but not so much to totally ruin it. I do hope that a sequel is made and we get to see Paradise.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 11:14 PM   #1089
laika
Lieutenant Junior Grade

just saw Hotel Transylvania with an elderly woman I take care of at my work...we both really liked it! I'm super pumped to see Frankenweenie, really loved the original short.
Old October 17 2012, 03:17 AM   #1090
od0_ital
Admiral

Hatari! - DVD
Looper - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Salt - DVD
Beer is Cheaper than Therapy - matinee
Here Comes the Boom - free admission
Argo - free admission
End of Watch - matinee

Did a double feature last night.

First up, HCoB...it was a sweet movie, with some nice laughs & Selma Hayak.

Followed that up with Argo, which was really good. Opened with a history lesson, told its story, and then summed it up in the end. I liked it.

Went for EoW at a matinee today. Took a bit to get used to the shift in perspectives, but still a pretty decent cop movie, though I thought the endin' was too much of a cheat. Would have been ballsier if it had ended five minutes sooner.

Got a plan to see the original Robocop on the big screen tomorrow night. May see Seven Psychopaths soon, too.
Old October 17 2012, 08:29 AM   #1091
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Just curious, do you do anything other than watch movies and go to like every single free admission known to man? How do you have this much time on your hands.
Old October 17 2012, 11:07 AM   #1092
od0_ital
Admiral

^

"Free admission" is how I designate the movies I see at the theater chain I work for. Aside from limited or special engagements, I've seen just about everything the Alamo Drafthouse has shown in Austin since February...

Some times I only work four days a week, so, I have time on my days off, or before & after my shifts to take in a movie. Might as well, right?

And yeah, I do other stuff...I read. I sleep. I eat (but the Drafthouse serves food in the theater, too, so I can eat & watch movies at the same time). I go to live music events when I have friends performin' in the band. And there's other stuff to do, too...
Old October 17 2012, 07:59 PM   #1093
Harvey
Admiral

160. The Man From Planet X (C-)
161. The Creature from the Black Lagoon (A-)
162. The Invisible Man (B)

The Man From Planet X: There's an intriguing idea behind this early '50s sf movie, but a low budget and an ill-advised romantic subplot prevent it from being very well-executed. William Schallert is good in a villainous role, but the rest of the cast is either unmemorable or putting on a supremely awful Scottish accent. I'd say this is a prime candidate for a remake, although even Hollywood isn't in the business of remaking cheapies like this these days.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon: I had the opportunity to see this on the big screen last night (and in 3D!). I was anticipating a supremely cheesy affair, and although there are moments of that, it really engaged me in a way I hadn't expected. The acting was good throughout, the make-up effects of the Gill Man were well-done, and the underwater photography was superb. It certainly should be considered a prime influence on Spielberg's direction of Jaws; one or two sequences seem to have been ported over directly to that film.

The Invisible Man: I also caught this on the big screen, as the bottom half of a double bill with Creature. I don't think it rates as highly as James Whale's Bride of Frankenstein, but it's still one of the better Universal horror movies from the '30s. Less a movie at times than an excuse to watch the title character (played brilliantly by Claude Rains, in his first sound role) wreak havoc upon the towns folk with his new-found invisibility, these sequences are executed with a manic exuberance that I've rarely seen on screen (at times, I was reminded of some of John Crichton's more crazy moments on Farscape). It helps that most of the special and visual effects hold up so well.

Theatres: 53+2
Home Video: 99+1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 08:34 PM   #1094
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

cup of g00 wrote: View Post
^

"Free admission" is how I designate the movies I see at the theater chain I work for. Aside from limited or special engagements, I've seen just about everything the Alamo Drafthouse has shown in Austin since February...

Some times I only work four days a week, so, I have time on my days off, or before & after my shifts to take in a movie. Might as well, right?

And yeah, I do other stuff...I read. I sleep. I eat (but the Drafthouse serves food in the theater, too, so I can eat & watch movies at the same time). I go to live music events when I have friends performin' in the band. And there's other stuff to do, too...
That's cool. I didn't mean to come across as mean or anything it's just that you see a whole lot of movies, and I thought in terms of work you were doing something else. I kind of wish I had your job but oh well.
Old October 17 2012, 08:37 PM   #1095
nvek86
Commander

121. I Sell the Dead

The basic idea is solid - body snatchers finding strange things in graves - but the film is very episodic, short (and it still feels like they added a few things just to make it longer) and not as funny as it could be.