Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 19 2012, 02:07 AM   #1036
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

The Pirates! Band of Misfits - BluRay - I had this film recommended to me by a few different people. My sons are major pirate lovers, like Jack and the Neverland Pirates. While the animation in this was beautiful, it was very boring. It's suppose to be funny but it's really not. I think my son laughed once during the whole thing. Kinda wish I didn't buy it and just showed it to him on demand.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 05:44 AM   #1037
Rory1080p
Lieutenant Junior Grade

at the cinema:

Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows (barely ever go cinema cause I hate going alone and rarely have people to go with, this was to take a girl out on a date)

on blu-ray/online/etc:

Safe (jason statham action films are always awesome )

that's it so far for 2012 films though, I don't really watch that many
Rory1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 07:48 AM   #1038
Harvey
Admiral

138. The Tourist (D)
139. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (C+)
140. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (B)
141. Spies Like Us (D)
142. Mr. Mom (F)
143. Inside Man (B+)

Just spent a week on vacation, and polished off several movies on DVD. The Tourist was an empty shell of a movie. Johnny Depp sleep-walked through a script that plodded along with multiple cliches until it culminated in an audience-insulting twist. Not sure how the ending worked in the French original, but it marks a disastrous turn in a movie that is stupid without being much fun at all.

I also saw the first two Austin Powers films, the first of which I had never seen. The second film, I think, is the best -- although Fat Bastard is painful to watch, and the film belabors many jokes past the point of any amusement. Still, I think it's more disciplined than the first installment, which has a funny premise that is often unexploited and stops dead in its tracks constantly to repeat jokes only Mike Myers finds hilarious.

Spies Like Us (bundled with the Austin Powers films) was a total mess of a movie. Rarely funny, it reminds us that the time when Chevy Chase could open a movie was mercifully brief. John Landis' direction is dull (considering the number of cameos, it seems plausible that he was focused on getting as many friends in the picture rather than making a decent movie), and the script, which is credited to many hands (including co-star Dan Akroyd) is so lazy that it fails to even establish that the main characters are friends, let alone include a joke or two.

Mr. Mom is such a waste of talent I don't know where to begin. Then again, considering the script (by John Hughes), I'm sure most of the actors in blink-and-you'll miss it parts were happy that they didn't have to exert much effort for the money. The gender politics, given the premise (dad has to be a homemaker and mom has to work -- the horror) are rather outdated. Even in 1983 I suspect many found it backwards by at least a couple of decades.

Then there's Inside Man, a bank heist movie that holds up, for the most part. It relies on the police being a little bit lazy after the heist is over, I think, but not too lazy that it doesn't hold together. Thank god Spike Lee was never able to get a sequel off the ground, though. The film doesn't need one. Although far from his more politically-minded cinema of the 1980s and 90s, this is a thriller that (refreshingly) is able to engage with race and other issues that wouldn't come up in the hands of another filmmaker.

Theatres: 46
Home Video: 88+6
Computer: 9

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 09:25 AM   #1039
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Ambassador - free admission
Lawless - free admission
Punisher: War Zone - DVD
Trouble with the Curve - free screenin'
Deja Vu - DVD
Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai 3D - free admission
Compliance - free admission
Red Hook Summer - free admission
The Words - free admission
Bright Lights, Big City - DVD
For a Good Time, Call - free admission
The Cold Light of Day - matinee
Ms. 45 - free admission
Resident Evil: Retribution 3D - free admission
Finding Nemo 3D - free admission
The Bad News Bears (1976) - DVD
The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D - free admission
Arbitrage - free admission
Hostage - DVD
The Bodyguard - DVD

Went to see the latest from Richard Gere before work Sunday afternoon. It was an okay movie, not great or anything...seems to me the whole thing hinged on the police bein' idiots. On the bright side, Tim Roth was in it, and I wasn't expectin' that, since I didn't watch the trailer before goin' to see the movie.

Watched the Bruce Willis action-ish movie last night after pickin' it up for four bucks at Wal-Mart. Not great, either, but not as terrible as I thought it would be. And Ben Foster was in it, and he's pretty good as the psycho.

Watchin' The Bodyguard on DVD now...never seen this before, but I remember tryin' to watch it years & years ago with a former girlfriend. Of course, watchin' a movie with her, I would never see the endings...
Old September 19 2012, 08:19 PM   #1040
nvek86
Commander

115. The Bourne Legacy

I found this not as good as the last two Bourne films, but about equal with the first. I liked the idea of showing the results of Bourne's actions and expanding the world with new characters (all the actors were good to great). The only complain I have is that the film makers were obviously setting a lot of things up for the sequel instead of making a (more satisfying) stand alone film.
Old September 20 2012, 01:38 AM   #1041
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (6)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
L.A. Confidential (9)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 77

Last edited by zakkrusz; September 20 2012 at 03:32 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:13 PM   #1042
Agent Richard07
Admiral

259. Resident Evil: Retribution: (✩✩½) - Theatre - Not a good installment in the series. Couldn't follow the story. Nice to see some old faces though. More discussion here.

260. Grown Ups: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A group of old friends who are now grown up with families get together to spend time at a summer cabin. No wacky hijinks, just fun and family time with a bit of humor. Stars a lot of SNL alums like Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and David Spade. Paul Blart, Mall Cop is also there. I remember when this movie first came out, Chris Rock said that the cast went out to see The Hangover during filming and realized that they have to step up their game. I'd say the end result is about as good.

261. Extract: (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - Jason Bateman plays a man who runs his own company as he deals with both business and personal issues that include a former employee who wants to sue, a young attractive con artist, a sexless marriage, an annoying neighbor and his best friend who's there through it all. Also stars Kristen Wiig, Ben Affleck, JK Simmons and Mila Kunis. This one was made by Mike Judge, who brought us Office Space. It had the same vibe and a lot of honest humor. I liked it. Surprisingly, I never heard of it until it came on TV this past weekend. Reading up on the movie, it looks like it was deliberately kept under the radar of the studio system.

262. Niagara: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Murder and intrigue as a couple go on their honeymoon to Niagara Falls. Stars Marilyn Monroe. Can't say this one wowed me, but I liked seeing a movie set on the Canadian side of the falls.

263. New York, I Love You: (✩✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - Short stories set in New York, many of which had some interesting twists. This one had a large all-star cast and each segment was written and drected by a different person. A movie that's a collection of stories doesn't by definition have a cohesive narrative, but the ending did provide some a connection and the whole thing was actually quite good and very engaging. I can find little fault with this movie.

264. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Thin story, but visually stunning with it's crisp cinematography and South Asian locales. Kristen Kreuk plays the titular character with the villain played by Neal McDonough. Michael Clark Duncan, Chris Klein and Moon Bloodgood are also there.

265. Katy Perry: Part of Me: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A Documentary film covering Katy Perry's 2011 world tour. We get both in-concert and behind-the-scenes footage of her tour along with interviews and a bit of background on her life. If you like Katy Perry, you'll find this to be an engaging piece. It's a bit topical though and doesn't delve too deeply into things. It also gets more compelling towards the end when it touches on her marriage to Russell Brand falling apart. You really feel for her there. It also made me wonder if her marriage was staged just for this movie. Maybe that's absurd and I don't mean to sound cynical, but it did cross my mind for a second or two. That's because this wouldn't have been much of a movie without that event.

266. Take This Waltz: (✩✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - A young woman is dissatistifed with her marriage and hits it off with a guy she met. Stars Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Luke Kirby and Sarah Silverman. Reviews were mostly good, but I found it to be a cut above and I'm giving it the highest score I can. Out of the 267 movies I've seen this year, this is only the 4th to get such a score. The story is compelling with a lot of emotional truth, Michelle Williams really shines in what is the best role I've seen her in to date and Seth Rogen plays it straight, yet a bit of his usual shtick comes through here and there. And of course, it's set in Toronto. The movie looks drab at first, but you'll see that it fits the tone and subject matter of the movie very well. I also started off wishing that Luke Kirby played the husband with Rogen as the new guy, but in the end, the choice that was made was the right one. It all comes together in the end.

Theatre: 15
DVD/Blu-Ray: 97
Live TV: 106
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 39
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 05:47 PM   #1043
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

69. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies: A-
70. Halloween 4:Return of Michael Myers: A-
71. Halloween 5:Revenge of Michael Myers: B+
72. Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers: B
73. Halloween H2O: A
74. Halloween Resurrection: C+

Playing catch up with my list

S/B-Public Enemies is really best described as Superman/Batman vs the DC Universe. It's a fun film filled with moments you'd like if superhero slugfests are something you enjoy. They not only fight most major villains but President Luthor sends traditional heroes against them as well such as Captain Atom, Power Girl, Black Lightning, Hawkman, Captain Marvel and a few others.

Halloween saga: As a whole I really enjoy the saga of Michael Myers. Saw H3-Season of the Witch earlier this year as well. I'm not sure why producer Mustapha Akkad made three continuities with the films but he did.
The Laurie Strode films: Halloween, H2, H20, HR
Jaime Lloyd films: Halloween 4-Curse
Season of the Witch is it's own thing(but could tie in with Samhain Cult imo)

Being that Jaime is daughter of Strode ties her to Myers and thus the saga as a whole it's a shame they skipped all this when H2O came out. I feel 4-6 with Myers and the cult of Samhain/Thorn help explain some of his "pure evil" which Loomis always described him as.

The tidbits of actor recognition that mean more now than when I first saw them are Joseph Gordon Levitt in H2O and Katee Sackhoff in Resurrection. Resurrection is by far the least enjoyable of the series but has modern cultural relevancy as it was already cashing in on "shaky cam" and "reality tv" as a means of entertainment.

Because I like the Mustapha Akkad films so much I've yet to tolerate the idea of watching the Rob Zombie versions.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 08:07 PM   #1044
CaptainCanada
Admiral

106. Burn After Reading (B+)

I finally got my TV setup finished, so I can watch movies at home again. Another Coen Brothers comedy. It's well-made with memorable moments, but not really a standout in their filmography. The funniest scene is George Clooney's climactic freakout at Frances McDormand's seemingly innocent revelation, and the offhand explanation of what happened by the bureaucrats.

Cinema: 26
Home Video: 68 (+1)
Computer: 12

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 07:55 AM   #1045
od0_ital
Admiral

Lawless - free admission
Deja Vu - DVD
Ms. 45 - free admission
Hostage - DVD
The Bodyguard - DVD
Hausu - free admission
The Guy from Harlem - free admission
Dredd 3D - free admission
The Master - free admission
The Possession - matinee

Saw two movies Wednesday...first up was Hausu, a Japanese haunted house story from the '70s, it was this month's "big screen classic" for the Alamo Drafthouse. I got cut from work just in time to clock out & see it.

It was bizarre, and kind of awesome...wonder if they could clean up some of the gawd awful green screen work, though.

That night, I went up to the Ritz for Weird Wednesday & saw The Guy from Harlem. This was a bad movie - lines of dialogue were repeated with slightly different inflection, the initial plot was dropped without any ceremony, tied loosely with the second half of the movie. And the nudity was scary gratuitous.

The host for Weird Wednesday found a YouTube clip where the guy who starred in the movie had a demo/audition reel. And when he found it, he said it had zero views...

Nothin' for Thursday, 'cause I had to work.

Friday night, I saw Dredd 3D after my shift. Karl Urban was bad ass as Dredd. And I'd say the 3D is worth the upcharge to see it.

Tonight, I went to see The Master after work. Fairly decent movie, though I'm annoyed that an entire sequence that they built a trailer around (the one with Joaquin Phoenix knockin' on the window) wasn't in the movie. But Jesse Plemons as Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son - best family castin' ever!

Got a plan to see The Possession with my friend Maeby tomorrow afternoon. We're gonna seat in DBOX seats!

- edit, to add -

So, yeah...went to a matinee showin' of The Possession, but the theater with the DBOX seats had changed the show with 'em to Dredd. So, Maeby & I went to another theater, since the whole reason we were gonna go to that first one was for the DBOX seats.

It was an alright movie, nothin' grounbreakingly awesome or anything. And at least two major sequences would have been solved if folks had just turned on a light when enterin' a dark room.

Also, the secret message in the story is, "Save your marriage - divorce is the devil!"

Last edited by od0_ital; September 24 2012 at 12:29 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:41 PM   #1046
Agent Richard07
Admiral

267. Management (✩✩✩) - DVD - A socially inept guy takes an interest in a woman who stayed at his parents' motel and follows her around the country. Stars Steve Zahn and Jennifer Aniston. It's more light-hearted drama than full-on comedy and it doesn't have the polish of a major motion picture, but it's alright. It really changes gears around the 50-minute mark and gets a little wacky as our characters find themself in a new setting.

268. Too Big to Fail (✩½) - Live TV - The story of the 2008 economic crisis. It had a cast with some notable names, but it was really boring and I didn't like the tiny subtitles that introduced the characters.

269. Dredd (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - I'm surprised that this one is scoring high because I found it to be pretty average. It's growing on me a bit though. Karl Urban wasn't who I'd expect in the title role, but I came to accept him and like him. I also liked the look of the city. I talk a bit more about the movie here.

270. talhotblond: (✩✩½) - Live TV - A TV movie about a 47 year old family man who pretends to be a young guy on the internet when he meets and carries on an affair with an 18 year old girl online. Things don't end well. Typical TV movie fare, but it'll hold your attention. Courteney Cox directed this one and gave herself a bit part.

271. The Cabin in the Woods (✩✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A horror movie that turns the genre and its tropes on their heads Whedon-style. Not perfect, but it was really good. I've never seen anything like it, and turning expectations on their heads is always fun to watch. I talk a little more about the movie here.

272. The A-Team (✩✩✩) - DVD - Slow start, but it does get going eventually and it has some pretty good and over-the-top action sequences. The story is pretty muddled, but we know the basics of the A-team anyway and can latch onto that. The cast is very good. They did a great job of capturing the originals in both looks and in character. I especially liked Sharlto Copley as Murdock. Between this and District 9, it's a shame his career didn't take off. Looks like he's got some stuff in the works though.

Theatre: 16
DVD/Blu-Ray: 99
Live TV: 108
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 40
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 09:37 PM   #1047
nvek86
Commander

116. Resident Evil: Retribution

It starts great with the opening played backwards over the titles, but once they are over it's like the other films in the series. Enjoyable to watch once, but quickly forgotten.
And the 3d (the only reason why I watched it in the theatre, otherwise I'd have waited for it to come out on DVD) was surprisingly good.
Old September 24 2012, 10:03 PM   #1048
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

71. Halloween 5:Revenge of Michael Myers: B+
72. Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers: B
73. Halloween H2O: A
74. Halloween Resurrection: C+
75. The Day the Earth Stood Still(2008): B

I've never seen the original all the way through so I don't have a comparison for this entry. I need to rectify that though. Overall I found the film enjoyable. I knock it mostly cause I found the child Jacob to be an annoying modern spoiled kid who doesn't get the danger of the situation. Just hung up on himself and seemingly is existing outside the actual moment. I find Keanu to be a competent enough actor and felt this role was up to his talents. Jennifer Connelly always seems to have her A game on. Maybe I've just not seen her "off films" though. Kathy Bates was a tough nosed Secretary of Def that I bought into. Good acting imo. Maybe a bit preachy on the "save the earth" message, again it may be in the original also but it felt a bit heavy handed here so it's another tick down on my grading.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 12:45 AM   #1049
CaptainCanada
Admiral

107. Brokeback Mountain (A+)

Revisted this over the weekend for the first since I initially saw it in 2005. At the time I remember quite liking it, but I didn't rate it nearly as high as many others did. Munich was my choice for Best Picture that year. I don't know how they'd stack up now, since it's been a while since I rewatched that film too, but this has gone up in my estimation considerably (I would say it's more consistent; it lacks an equivalent to the awful sex/murder montage in Munich). Ledger's performance, in particular, I appreciate a lot more. Williams' work is as striking now as it was then.

Cinema: 26
Home Video: 69 (+1)
Computer: 12

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 05:36 AM   #1050
od0_ital
Admiral

Lawless - free admission
Deja Vu - DVD
Ms. 45 - free admission
Hostage - DVD
The Bodyguard - DVD
Hausu - free admission
The Guy from Harlem - free admission
Dredd 3D - free admission
The Master - free admission
The Possession - matinee
Knuckleball! - free admission
Samsara - free admission

Two free movies tonight, since I had the day off...

First up, Knuckleball!, a baseball documentary about the only two knuckleball pitchers in major league baseball durin' the 2011 season. It follows Tim Wakefield of the Boston Red Sox & R.A. Dickey of the New York Mets while lookin' back at their history, and the history of knuckleball pitchin' in the major leagues.

Pretty good documentary, too. I liked it.

Next up, Samsara...which, usin' only visuals and music made me feel, at first, oddly insignificant and then very, very guilty. No dialogue at all...and since it was all visuals, no dialogue or story, there was no way to tell when it would end, and I really, really had to pee for the last twenty or so minutes of it.

Soon as the credits rolled & the house lights came up, I was makin' a run for the door.

Haven't decided what to watch on DVD yet tonight...maybe the Bad News Bears sequels?