Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 15 2012, 09:42 PM   #91
nvek86
Commander

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

4. Manhattan Murder Mystery

A very funny film by Woody Allen, I liked it a lot.
Old January 16 2012, 01:48 AM   #92
Agent Richard07
Retired

12. Normal Adolescent Behavior: Havoc 2: (✩) This one stars Amber Tamblyn. I got it thinking it would be a low-budget sequel to Anne Hathaway's Havoc, but there was no connection. I later found out that the studio put in "Havoc 2" against the wishes of the director. Anyway, it was about a girl in a polyamourous relationship with 5 others who began struggling with sexual norms after meeting someone. The movie was pretty bad and hard to follow. I gave half a star for Amber Tamblyn being spanked in her underwear and another half-star for Kelly Lynch who's still pretty hot.

13. Starsky & Hutch: (✩✩½) A comedic remake of that 70s show I know nothing about. Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller were alright, but the movie is nothing to write home about.

14. The Rundown: (✩✩✩½) The Rock stars as a retrieval expert who doesn't want to be a retrieval expert anymore, but agrees to do one more job for his boss... Find his son in the jungles of Brazil. There, he gets more than he bargained for and has to put up with the son (played by Seann William Scott) who has plans of his own. Christopher Walken plays the bad guy, the Rock was pretty good, and I found it to be a decent action movie in general.

15. Mallrats: (✩✩✩✩) Saw the extended version of this which has an additional 30 minutes. Ah, the 90s... No internet and less cool technology, but simpler times. The extended run made it drag a bit at the beginning, but it was still fun seeing all those old faces.

At the Theatre: 0
On DVD/Blu-Ray: 5
On Demand: 1
On TV: 9
Off the Internet: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:37 AM   #93
LitmusDragon
Commodore

4. Source Code - B. "That's no Moon" (couldn't resist). Duncan Jones turns out another solid science-fiction brain teaser which shares some similar themes to his previous movie. In this case the technology involved is just a little bit too murky to be believable and it hurts the film a bit in my opinion.

5. Kung Fu Panda - B. Pretty funny. About what you'd expect from a Jack Black movie about an animated Panda.

6. Ponyo - B+. Usual Studio Ghibli escapist magic. Some really beautiful animation particularly of the underwater scenes.
Old January 16 2012, 02:48 PM   #94
Saul
Rear Admiral

15. Spider-man 2.1
16. Taxi 3
17. A Chinese Ghost Story
18. Ryan's Daughter
19. Confucius 1940

The last one I had to sign papers to see.
Old January 16 2012, 06:02 PM   #95
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Kicking off my 2012 list:

1. Edge of Darkness: A
2. Star Trek: The Motion Picture: B+
3. Repo Men: B-
4. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: B-

Still going through my TOS Movie Blu-Ray set and this film is one I've not seen in nearly a decade. It's one of those films I actually like better. I feel it, or I, have aged into it. My prior ratings of the film were much worse. One of things that may influence my opinion of the film are the commentaries and interviews about what they wanted to do, especially with the ending. How Kirk was, in the final shooting script, going to have to battle a sequence of Rockmen to escape. The test footage was fun to watch with the one Rockman suit.
The camaraderie of Kirk/Spock/McCoy really about parallels a type of triumvirate friendship I myself now have.
The story still has it's weak points with specifics about the plot but the overall family feel between the crew and their dedication to each other shines through.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 09:11 PM   #96
nvek86
Commander

5. Defiance

The film is about jewish resistance fighters in Berlarus during the Second World War. It was interesting, because its a topic I hadn't known anything about before (and films like this also make me look up the stuff they are about), but other than that it was a fairly standard war film. Definitely worth watching once.
Old January 17 2012, 02:35 AM   #97
Goliath
Vice Admiral

1. War Horse (B-)
2. The Woman in the Window (A-)
3. The Last Exorcism (B)
4. The Guard (A)

A very funny Irish fish-out-of-water cop-buddy movie that breathes new life into the old Beverly Hills Cop formula by inverting it. Brendan Gleeson plays a hard-bitten, irreverent sergeant in the Garda Siochana, the Republic of Ireland's police force. Don Cheadle plays a straight-laced FBI agent who comes to the west coast of Ireland to investigate an international drug-smuggling ring. As the saying goes, hilarity ensues, along with culture clashes and gunfights. In addition to the very funny scenes with Gleeson and Cheadle, the film features a number of memorable minor characters. Highly recommended.

Theatres: 1
Home Video: 3 (+1)
Computer: 0
Old January 17 2012, 10:38 AM   #98
Harvey
Admiral

9. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (B+)

Tucker and Dale vs Evil: I was very pleasantly surprised by this horror/comedy film, which is sort of like Deliverance, but from the perspective of the hillbillies (played hilariously by Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk!). Of course, the hillbillies aren't killers at all, just the victims of one misunderstanding after another (not to mention a healthy does of fatal -- and darkly funny -- accidents on the part of a group of college kids in the woods. The film loses a bit of its comedic edge in the end, but it still works fairly well. It's definitely recommended viewing if you don't mind your comedy coming with a bit (okay, a lot) of blood.

Theatres: 2
Home Video: 6 +1
Computer: 1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 03:05 PM   #99
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Were you inspired by the BOW thread's current contestant by chance?
Old January 17 2012, 07:37 PM   #100
Harvey
Admiral

My roommate found this one, actually. He heard about it from a friend. Unless one or both of them are closet Trek-fans, I'd say it was just a happy coincidence.

Old January 17 2012, 07:53 PM   #101
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Your B+ inspires me to place it into my Netflix queue at any rate. Not going to bump it just yet but add it nonetheless.
Old January 17 2012, 09:56 PM   #102
nvek86
Commander

6. The Lady from Shanghai

A nice little crime thriller with a great finale.
Old January 18 2012, 06:28 AM   #103
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DVD
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - free screenin'

Back in Austin this week, and since I'm back, I can get free movie passes pretty easily. Tonight was the first free movie I've been to since The Way back in October-ish!

Anyway, the latest Tom Hanks movie...and he is the reason why I went at all...is definately one of those "see it once" movies. Now that I have, I never want or will need to see it again.

So, glad to get it out of the way.

Its depressin' as hell, has odd bits of humor sprinkled throughout, but it is a tragic film, as anything that even tries to look at the events of 9/11 should be. And though easily predictable, I think that Max von Sydow's character was the best out of all of 'em.

Tomorrow night, I'll be at a free screenin' for Man on a Ledge & Thursday night I'll be seein' Red Tails.
Old January 18 2012, 12:29 PM   #104
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

DVD

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 07:31 PM   #105
Harvey
Admiral

10. They Live (B-)

They Live: I saw this for a class (compared to last time, which was in a theatre with a knowing audience) and the difference was dramatic. For one thing, most people didn't realize that it was okay to laugh until half way though the movie, and the atmosphere is pretty different when that's the case. Of course, it's still not a perfect movie. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper can't act worth a damn (though, I think he's improved in the years since), and the movie more or less goes through the motions between the notable set pieces (Nada puts on the glasses, Nada and Frank fight, Nada and Frank get the grand tour, Nada takes down the signal) -- but the set pieces are rather good.

I hear the film is being remade, and if it's so, I think there's definite grounds for improvement upon the original. Then again, it's a remake of a Carpenter film, so I'm not holding my breath...

Theatres: 2
Home Video: 7 +1
Computer: 1