Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 10 2012, 09:00 AM   #1021
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

The Ambassador - free admission
Lawless - free admission
Punisher: War Zone - DVD
Trouble with the Curve - free screenin'
Deja Vu - DVD
Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai 3D - free admission
Compliance - free admission
Red Hook Summer - free admission
The Words - free admission
Bright Lights, Big City - DVD

Went into work early so I could see The Words before my shift started.

I liked it, especially Jeremy Irons's Old Man & Dennis Quaid's Narrator, though I almost always like those two in just about any role they decide to play. Bradley Cooper wasn't too bad, either. Olivia Wilde & Zoe Saldana were both givin' the short ends of their character's respective sticks, though.

Nice to see John Hannah, JK Simmons & Michael McKean in small, one scene roles, too.

Watchin' BL, BC on DVD now...this is the second "new to me" movie with Michael J Fox that I've watched this year, after Class of 1984 from Drafthouse's Summer of '82 series.
Old September 10 2012, 08:24 PM   #1022
nvek86
Commander

112. The Adjustement Bureau

The film was quite nice, although the ending was basically spoiled in the middle of the film. But I did like the scenes with the bureau's agents and wished that the film would have been told entirely from their perspective.
Old September 11 2012, 12:17 AM   #1023
CaptainCanada
Admiral

105. Tokyo Story (B+)

Another Sight & Sound mainstay, by Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu. The cultural product that most comes to mind on watching this is another Japanese cultural figure from the same period, the novels of the Nobel Laureate Kawabata Yasunari. There's the same sort of minimalism, and, perhaps, the sense on my part that I don't know enough about Japanese culture to understand all the finer points of this. The basic story (about children growing apart from their parents) is, of course, more universal. Much like The Rules of the Game, this is fine (it has better drawn-characters, certainly; the widowed daughter-in-law Noriko is especially compelling), but at no point did it really dazzle me. Maybe it's one of those things to revisit in a few years.

Cinema: 26
Home Video: 67
Computer: 12 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 07:13 AM   #1024
od0_ital
Admiral

Lawless - free admission
Deja Vu - DVD
For a Good Time, Call - free admission
The Cold Light of Day - matinee

Well, BLBC was like the mirror universe version of The Secret to My Success. Geez...

Went to see FaGTC tonight after a dinner with the LotR fan group. Pretty dumb comedy about two girls who work a phone sex line. Kevin Smith & Seth Rogan have cameos as callers. Justin Long is an annoyin' gay character that's all stereotype, no substance.

At least I got in for free...was kind of surprised, though, when two folks walked out after a scene that was in the trailer.

- edit, to add -

Went to an early bird matinee of The Cold Light of Day this afternoon...nice to see Sigourney Weaver do more than just a one-scene cameo or voiceover like she did in Paul and Cabin in the Woods.

And that's about the nicest thing I have to say about that mess of a movie.

Last edited by od0_ital; September 11 2012 at 09:25 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 07:57 PM   #1025
nvek86
Commander

113. Burn After Reading

While the actors are all quite good, I thought there were only a few really funny scenes. I'd say it was good, but not remarkably so.
Old September 13 2012, 07:47 AM   #1026
od0_ital
Admiral

Lawless - free admission
Deja Vu - DVD
Ms. 45 - free admission

I went up to the Ritz for Weird Wednesday after work last night. This week's movie was 1981's Ms. 45. Thana is a mute seamstress in New York City who goes on a killin' spree after she's raped twice in the same day. She targets men usin' the gun the second rapist had when she killed him with an iron.

I'd say the best kill was the one where the guy basically commits suicide after she misfires while sittin' next to him on a park bench.

It wasn't too terrible a movie, to be honest...but there were some pretty bad moments in it, and it doesn't help that every man Thana comes in contact with is an asshole.

Lots of new stuff comin' up this weekend, and I've got a plan to see Ghostbusters in 70mm this Sunday! I've seen it before, but never on a theater screen...
Old September 15 2012, 05:31 AM   #1027
od0_ital
Admiral

Lawless - free admission
Deja Vu - DVD
Ms. 45 - free admission
Resident Evil: Retribution 3D - free admission

Got off work about an hour before the showtime, so I got a free ticket...it was this or Finding Nemo 3D, but this one started sooner.

It picks up immediately from the last RE movie, which I rented just last month, so I was all set...

...and with all the returnin' cast members & characters from the first couple of movies, it felt a lot like a greatest hits release. Old favorites with a few new things mixed in.

And it was about as dumb as I expected it to be, and ends on a cliffhanger that was a lot like the last cliffhanger, visually.

But, Michelle Rodriguez was one of the returnin' characters, and I went to see it for her more than anything.

Will probably go see Finding Nemo tomorrow night after work...
Old September 15 2012, 05:48 AM   #1028
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 75
Old September 15 2012, 06:00 AM   #1029
Agent Richard07
Admiral

245. The Other Guys: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson are two of the biggest badass cops around. Real heroes. Then there are the other guys... Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, two wannabes who take up the mantle when our big time heroes get themselves killed. This movie is funny and absurd with a lot of good moments and the usual Will Ferrell brand of humor. Check it out.

246. The Pregnancy Project: (✩✩½) - Live TV - A straight-A high school student decides to fake a pregnancy as part of a school project in order to make a few points about teen pregnancy. Stars Alexa Vega from the Spy Kids movies. It's an ill conceived project that doesn't have a strong moral at the end, but it's watchable and it's the kind of thing where you want to see what happens.

247. The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Didn't even know there was a third installment until a week or so ago. This time, a detective is using his ability to find the person who's been killing women over the years. Diminishing returns, being number 3 and all, but I liked it as something to watch. Excellent production values too. Don't know why they gave this one a subtitle.

248. The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard.: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A team of salesmen are called in to save a struggling car dealership. Lots of good humor. I especially liked that some of that humor was honest and non-PC. For example, we get something to the effect of... "They married and lived happily ever after. Then got divorced 2 years later." That kind of stuff. Will Ferrell doesn't star in the movie, but when I saw that his production company was making this, I knew he'd put in an appearance. It also had the usual cohorts of comedy...

249. Unknown: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Liam Neeson plays a guy who goes to a conference in Germany with is wife, then ends up in an accident followed by four days of in a coma. Upon trying to return to the conference and his wife, he finds that his life has been stollen by someone else and his wife doesn't know who he is. Reminded me a bit of Nowhere Man. It's a decent action thriller and you'll get answers to what's going on.

250. Thunderbird 6: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - International Rescue deals with an experimental airship while one of their team members tries to come up with a new vehicle that will become the 6th Thunderbird. Impressive puppet work.

251. Resident Evil: Afterlife: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - I wasn't expecting much, but found this to be quite good for one of these types of movies. Jovovich and Larter were hot as always and the action and setting were pretty good. Can't wait for the next one this weekend.

252. Extraordinary Measures: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A father takes matters into his own hands and teams up with a researcher to find a workable treatment for his children who have a genetic disorder. Based on a true story. Stars Brendan Fraser and Harrison Ford. Gripping, heartfelt and it shows how money-driven the drug industry is, but apparently lots of liberties were taken to make the movie "entertaining".

253. The Five-Year Engagement: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A couple gets engaged, but they put the actual wedding on hold as life and career choices take precedence. Stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt. Lots of good humor and poignant moments.

254. Deception: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A nerdy accountant meets a super cool guy who introduces him to a secret list that gives him access to busy professionals who meet up for anonymous sex. Eventually, something goes wrong and our accountant soon finds himself in a bind. Stars Ewan McGreggor, Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams. It's a pretty good thriller with an ending where things fall apart just a bit. Still, it's worth a watch. It'll hook ya.

255. Fail Safe: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Got this 2000 movie after having seen the 1964 version. It has an all-star cast that includes George Clooney, Sam Elliott, Richard Dreyfuss, Noah Wyle, Harvey Keitel, James Cromwell, Don Cheatle, Hank Azaria and Brian Dennehy. It played out exactly like it's 1964 conterpart, it was in black & white and it looked like a stage play (it aired live on CBS). It was fun to watch and compare with the original.

256. Answers to Nothing: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - The stories of several people in L.A., set against the backdrop of a girl who's been kidnapped. An enjoyable and engaging movie. I especially liked seeing Dane Cook in a dramatic role. This is the kind of movie that looked like it would have done better if it had higher profile stars.

257. Capitalism: A Love Story: (✩✩✩✩½) - Live TV - A documentary film by Michael Moore. This time, he takes on the evils of capitalism. It's entertaining and his case is compelling, but I'm willing to leave a little room for a bit of bias and incompleteness on his part. It's worth watching whether you agree with him or not and it gives you a lot to think about.

258. The Notorious Bettie Page: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - The story of pin-up model Bettie Page. Stars Gretchen Mol, who was willing to appear fully nude. She captured Bettie's look as well as her signature poses very well.

The movie itself was mostly in black and white and transitioned to an old-style technicolor look much later in the run. The story was a good one and dealt with the morality and immorality of doing pin-up work and as well as Page's personal struggles in doing so.

Theatre: 14
DVD/Blu-Ray: 96
Live TV: 102
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 37
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 03:55 PM   #1030
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

64. Adventures of Tin Tin: B-
65. 2016 Obama's America: A-
66. Unknown: B
67. No Strings Attached: B+
68. Megamind: A-

The animated film with the voices of Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Jonah Hill. It plays mainly with the Superman tropes and the twist is a bit unique. What if Superman just wanted to stop and Luthor became the hero because of love. That's it boiled down to it's core and I rather enjoyed it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 04:59 PM   #1031
od0_ital
Admiral

Lawless - free admission
Deja Vu - DVD
Ms. 45 - free admission
Resident Evil: Retribution 3D - free admission
Finding Nemo 3D - free admission
The Bad News Bears (1976) - DVD
The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D - free admission

Got off from work last night & found my friend Barbara waitin' for me in the theater lobby, wantin' to see Finding Nemo 3D. In fairness, I did post I was goin' to go, and she did text me about comin' out, I just hadn't read my messages while I was workin', it was just too busy.

The movie looked great, of course, and I enjoyed the Toy Story short that was included.

And Drafthouse has an all-Pixar preshow, too.

Picked up all four Bad News Bears in one set for ten bucks the other night at Wal-Mart. Watched the first one last night after Finding Nemo. Not too bad of a movie, actually...

Waitin' in line for Flying Swords of Dragon Gate at S Lamar right now...its the sequel to something I haven't seen, but it has Jet Li, its free, and all the showings for Ghostbusters at the Ritz sold out. So, here I am.
Old September 16 2012, 09:56 PM   #1032
nvek86
Commander

114. New York, I love You

Like its predecessor, Paris, Je t'aime, this film is basically several short films put together. I liked that they changed it up a bit by intercutting the stories more, but otherwise this felt like a lesser version of the first film, with less variety in the stories.
Old September 17 2012, 03:11 PM   #1033
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

65. 2016 Obama's America: A-
66. Unknown: B
67. No Strings Attached: B+
68. Megamind: A-
69. Resident Evil: Retribution: B-

While this film spends the first 4-5 minutes giving you a "previously on" segment by Alice complete with clips from those films I'd still say this film is the first to really feel like you need to know the series before jumping in. I saw the film in standard 2-D and found the action scenes to still be well done. I'd actually call the film one long action sequence almost. It barely slows down as the plot requires them only 2hours to move from where they are to where they need to be before *BOOM* goes the dynamite. Since they are in a primary Umbrella testing center it allows for various creatures to return to test our heroine and her crew. Despite other entries showing you what the surface of the Earth looks like in remote areas such as Nevada and the desert this one ends with a scene in a key surface location that practically begs for a follow-up. It was a fun action film if a bit underwhelming on story content till the last few minutes. If you're a fan of the series you'll most likely enjoy it.
If you just want your zombie fix before Walking Dead starts this film may be a mixed bag for you.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 05:54 AM   #1034
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (B-)
2. Moonrise Kingdom (B)
3. The Amazing Spider-Man (A)
4. Ted (B)
5. The Dark Knight Rises (A)
6. The Avengers (A)
7. Battleship (D)
8. Drive (B)
9. Sunshine (C)
10. Push (D)
11. Total Recall (2012) (C)
12. Moneyball (B)
13. Unstoppable (2010) (B)
14. Horrible Bosses (2011) (B)
15. The Change-Up (2011) (C)
16. 2016: Obama's America (2012) (A)
17. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011) (D)
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 06:18 AM   #1035
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Dark Knight