TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 17 2012, 07:06 AM   #946
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

The Watcher - DVD
Silver Bullet - free admission
Logan's Run (1976) - DVD
17 Again - DVD
Total Recall (2012) - free admission
The Queen of Versailles - free admission
Adventureland - DVD
The Campaign - free admission
Hope Springs - free admission
The Bourne Legacy - free admission
Killer Joe - free admission
The Odd Life of Timothy Green - free screenin'
The Box - DVD
Short Circuit - free admission
Ruby Sparks - free admission
American Reunion: Unrated - DVD

Went to Alamo Slaughter this mornin' to see Short Circuit while it was there as part of the kids' summer camp series. And I know I've seen it before, but it would have been back when I was still in the single digits & via a pan and scan VHS, possibly even recorded off of tv...'cause, honestly, I was surprised by how many times characters said "shit," "bullshit" and "asshole" in an '80s kids movie! Not to mention a reporter askin' Ally Sheedy if she was molested by #5 and her response, "He's not that kind of robot!"

Went back to Alamo Slaughter for the last showin' of Ruby Sparks with my friend Maeby. She loved it! I thought it was pretty good...wish we had gotten to it sooner, to be honest.

Watchin' the unrated version of American Reunion on DVD now, since it was on sale this afternoon...

- edit, to add -

The theatrical cut of AR is one hour & fifty-three minutes. The unrated cut is one hour & fifty-four minutes.

No clue what was in the sixty seconds that couldn't be seen in the theater.

Anyone know?

Last edited by od0_ital; August 17 2012 at 12:32 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 05:08 PM   #947
Harvey
Admiral

Here are the differences; it seems probable to me that they held back some footage so they could release an "unrated" version on home video -- even though that version could have gotten an R-Rating without problem.

123. Primary (B-)

Primary: A fascinating historical document (we see, first hand, the Wisconsin primary race between JFK and Hubert Humphrey) and an important progenitor for both cinéma vérité and political documentaries, this films is nonetheless difficult to watch today. The portable sound equipment used was revolutionary at time, but the quality is quite awful compared to studio films of the period or anything today. The editing is also a bit scattered; you get the sense that scenes come in and go out due to the length of the magazine possessed by the cameraman at the time, not any overriding editing scheme. Still, it's a fascinating look at two important political figures that's worth seeing if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Theatres: 44+1
Home Video: 71
Computer: 8

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 04:13 PM   #948
Agent Richard07
Retired

229. The Lookout: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A promising young man (Joseph Gordon-levitt) has his life turned upside down after being injured in a car accident that he caused. His brain was traumatized and although he can function normally, he has to work his way through daily routines carefully and consciously. His girlfriend (Laura Vandervoort) who was in the accident is no longer with him, but he has the support of family and his blind roommate (Jeff Daniels). Then one day, he meets a guy in a bar (Matthew Goode) and a girl who's taken an interest in him (Isla Fisher) and ends up being used to rob the bank he works at as a night janitor. The outcome was a bit formulaic but it's an engaging piece with a good cast and I liked the small wintery town atmosphere and non-descript city. I figured out that it was shot in Canada, but didn't know until the end credits that it was in and around Winnipeg.

230. I Could Never Be Your Woman: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A divorced mother/TV producer falls for one of the stars of her show, a guy who is a lot younger. Stars Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd. The movie tackles the issue of aging and trying to stay young. It's a watchable rom com that might hit home for those who are getting older like. Other thoughts... I've never really noticed how attractive Michelle Pfeiffer is until this movie, and Paul Rudd certainly gets a lot of work and has had some pretty high profile leading ladies. Now he has Pfeiffer on the list.

231. Fast Food Nation: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - This is a film about what goes into making a fast food burger. It's based on the book Fast Food Nation and it moves between three stories... 1) The VP of marketing for Mickey's, who's sent to a processing plant to investigate the claim that too much cow manure in the meat. 2) A group of illegal aliens from Mexico who are seeking a better life in the U.S., only to end up working in the meat packing plant, and 3) A teenage girl who works at Mickey's. The all-star cast includes Greg Kinnear, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Ashley Johnson, Wilmer Valderrama, Kris Kristopherson, Avril Lavigne and Bruce Willis. The movie doesn't delve too deeply into the whole fast food process and it does get bogged down in the character drama at times, but it's still a decent movie and makes you feel, just a little, for the position it takes.

232. 88 Minutes: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A criminal psychologist who put a man on death row is being taunted by someone who says he has 88 minutes to live. He then uses that time to get to the bottom of things, and like 24, he gets a lot done all over town in those 88 minutes. Stars Al Pacino, and he's surrounded by a bevy of beautiful woman like Alicia Witt, Leelee Sobieski and BSG's Leah Cairns. The movie is shot in Vancouver and you'll have fun picking out the few faces from Stargate and BSG. It's a decent thiller but it's not a great movie.

233. The Terrorist Next Door: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A young man from Algeria moves to Canada, and through the muslim community, ends up becoming a terrorist for Al Quaida. Kathleen Robertson and Michael Ironside are in this one. I found this to be good for a TV movie. It at least gives the audience a bit of insight into what goes into turning young people toward the terrorist cause. Not much, but some.

234. The Expendables 2: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Dumb action movie just like the first one, but it's nice to see a lot of the biggest action stars from the past three decades. I liked this one more than the first one because Schwarzenegger and Willis had bigger parts, and because they managed to get Jean Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris. More comments here.

Theatre: 14
DVD/Blu-Ray: 86
Live TV: 91
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 34
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 07:23 PM   #949
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Last night I watched Everybody's Fine, written and directed by Kirk Jones and starring Robert De Niro, Kate Beckinsale, Sam Rockwell, and Drew Barrymore.

Hot damn, that's a sad film. I liked it, but it depressed the shit out of me.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 08:28 PM   #950
nvek86
Commander

102. Brave

Great animation, wonderful music, maybe bit more slapstick than I expected, but in general I really loved this film.
Old August 18 2012, 10:06 PM   #951
CaptainCanada
Admiral

98. Wild Strawberries (A)

Back to the Bergman well, another of his 50s films. This debuted the same year as The Seventh Seal, and is similarly preoccupied with death (as Bergman would be pretty much from this point on) -- though this movie also manages a few laughs at the characters' incessantly debating theology (I'm reminded of George Orwell's comments about Graham Greene in his review of The Heart of the Matter). Beautifully shot, well-acted, and interesting to consider.

Cinema: 24
Home Video: 64 (+1)
Computer: 10

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 03:29 AM   #952
od0_ital
Admiral

Thanks for the link, Harvey. And, yeah, that stuff could have easily been included in the theatrical cut.

The Watcher - DVD
Logan's Run (1976) - DVD
17 Again - DVD
Adventureland - DVD
The Box - DVD
Moneyball - DVD

Back when Alamo Slaughter had their soft open in March, Moneyball was one of the movies shown on the big screen. I missed out on it then, though, because tickets were only two bucks & every menu item was half off, and every show of every movie durin' the soft open sold out.

Watched the DVD early this mornin', and I liked it. Could definately hear Aaron Sorkin in the dialogue, but I wish Philip Seymour Hoffman had gotten at least one good bit. Brad Pitt & Jonah Hill were good together, though, which was the point of the whole thing.

Went ahead & watched a couple of the bonus features, too.

Last edited by od0_ital; August 19 2012 at 03:40 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 05:39 AM   #953
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

25) Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2012) - C

What the heck did I just watch? It seemed like a movie trying way too hard to carry on the "Everything happens for a reason" motief but not being very convincing about it. I mean we focus on this guy all movie and his relationship with his brother (Who is also screwed up) and when we get to the ending, it's almost as if none of that matters because the movie goes off the rails to prove Jeff right. Also, the Camerawork was annoying, with the quick zoom ins and outs.

Despite that though, I did enjoy the performances from Helms, Segal, and even Serandon and there were a few fun moments. It was your typical Indie film, something that looks like there's an art to it but I have a hard time understanding what people see in it.

Theater: 9
BluRay: 7 (+1)
On Demand/TV: 3
Itunes: 6

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:05 PM   #954
nvek86
Commander

103. Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Very good and very fun film and it would have been really great if the main character wasn't the least interesting person in the film.
Also, I don't know why any studio thought this would make much money. I liked it a lot, but even so I can see why it wasn't successful.
Old August 20 2012, 01:11 AM   #955
od0_ital
Admiral

The Watcher - DVD
Logan's Run (1976) - DVD
17 Again - DVD
Adventureland - DVD
The Box - DVD
Moneyball - DVD
The Expendables 2 - free admission

Was hopin' to get into a couple of movies before work today, but only got into one...

I enjoyed it. Great action, good one-liners, nice in-jokes. Van Damme played a good villian actually named Vilain and Chuck Norris had a great entrance!

If ya liked the first, go see this, its just as good, if not better. And if ya didn't like the first, what the hell is wrong with you?!?

Will try later this week to get into the other movie I wanted to see today...
Old August 20 2012, 01:38 PM   #956
CaptainCanada
Admiral

99. Broadcast News (A-)

Network's less polemical, more humanistic 1980s counterpart. It's not as good as a film, but it's still quite good, and I especially appreciate the way that James L. Brooks balances the various characters, particularly William Hurt and Albert Brooks; Hurt's character would be significantly more villainized in a less well-written film, and Brooks' would lose a lot of his rough edges. I think the epilogue is rather unnecessary, though.

Cinema: 24
Home Video: 65 (+1)
Computer: 10

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 05:56 PM   #957
Harvey
Admiral

124. Kick-Ass (C-)

Kick-Ass: I'm not familiar with the source material, although I imagine it suffers from many of the same problems of the film adaptation. The main one being that the film begins by telling the audience that it's going to be a story about what superheroes would be like in the real world, but after briefly entertaining that notion (a guy in the beginning is completely insane, Kick-Ass himself gets beaten up and stabbed) it devolves into a rather childish fantasy. And that fantasy, though well-directed and acted, is far less interesting than the idea the film sets out to explore.

Theatres: 44
Home Video: 72+1

Old August 21 2012, 03:36 PM   #958
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

55. Hot Fuzz: B
56. Total Recall (2012): A-
57. Total Recall (1990): B+
58. Hardware: D+
59. The Bourne Legacy: A-
60. Once Upon A Time in the West: B-
61. Expendables 2: B+
62. Hangover 2: C

Once/West
A Sergio Leone film from 1968 that plays about 30min too long. Leone must've really been feeling his oats or accolades cause all the elements that are praised from his "Man with No Name" saga are stretched out, elaborated upon to the point of being tedious. Too much of a good thing.
Still the main cast was fun to watch with Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson both in their prime. The scenery was great and I could even over look the voice dubs as it blended well in more places than it didn't.
If you don't like westerns this isn't one of the first you should sample most likely but even being longer than imo is necessary it's still good. Bronson really owns in the same vein as Eastwood did under Leone. Too bad Bronson didn't get trilogy, his Harmonica named character had a cool gimmick.

Expendables 2
I give a write up with SPOILERS over in the thread discussion. I really did enjoy the film and am curious why it didn't open as strong, stronger really, than the first film. The addition of Norris and JCVD with beefed up roles for Arnie and Bruce made it another fun ride. The reduced role of Jet Li was felt but some wiggle room had to be made.

Hangover 2
This is just mediocore filmmaking at its...best? I'm ok with sequels, the justified remake or re-imagining and don't get all belly aching about "originality" as some often do. This film though is where those who want to moan about that should've, if they didn't, moaned loudly.
OMFG it's not just beat for beat the SAME EXACT FILM it struggles to be funny doing it. Yeah, I chuckled a few times but it's hard to be surprised and enjoy the film when the whole time your checking off moments in the film vs the first one.
Ok, so 'y' substitues 'x' which means the next scene should be ____, wonder what they will substitute that with in Bangkok?
Just not a sequel that should've been made. It was a great one off premise not one screaming for a franchise.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:55 PM   #959
od0_ital
Admiral

^

They're goin' to make a third Hangover, ya know...but the cast & director have all said it will be the last one.
Old August 21 2012, 05:26 PM   #960
Harvey
Admiral

125. The Puffy Chair (C+)

The Puffy Chair: This is a decent little movie about a couple that goes on a road trip to pick up a chair as a surprise birthday present for one of their parents...where a lot of bad things happen on the way. Aesthetically, it's one of the forerunners of mumblecore, which has never impressed me. Basically, it looks like a student film, only with better acting and writing. In terms of story, I think the film gives a little to much credit to the brother that is picked up along the way. He commits an action late in the movie that means a lot of their journey has been wasted. This is played as an important moment, but the net result on the couple's relationship doesn't appear to be much. They all cry together a little...and then the only possible outcome happens a few scenes later.

Theatres: 44
Home Video: 73+1