CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 10 2012, 12:10 AM   #916
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

The Watcher - DVD
Silver Bullet - free admission
Logan's Run (1976) - DVD
17 Again - DVD
Total Recall (2012) - free admission
The Queen of Versailles - free admission
Adventureland - DVD

Well, I liked it. Who knew someone out there could make a movie where Kristen Stewart is bearable? Certainly no one who has directed a Twifilm.

Bill Hader & Kristen Wiig cracked me up as the park managers, too. Dear god, that mustache...!

Hangin' out while I wait to see The Amazing Spider-Man again (for a buddy who hasn't seen it yet), debatin' on stickin' around for a midnight movie tonight.
Old August 10 2012, 06:26 PM   #917
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

54. Seven Pounds: B
55. Hot Fuzz: B
56. Total Recall (2012): A-
57. Total Recall (1990): B+
58. Hardware: D+

From 1990 starring Dylan McDermott and Stacey Travis is a postapocolyptic film that on the tail end of the 80's has that theme that Nuclear World War III happened and this is what's left of society picking up the pieces. Where the prominent piece of legislation being touted in the film by whatever government is left is passage of a Sterilization Bill for population control and it will be mandatory. It's not even involved in the plot but in a 90min film is mentioned 3-4 times for some reason. Apparetly old age is now anything over 30 cause you die of Radiation poisoning but I guess the rad count doesn't sterilize you? OK I'll go with it.

I don't really want to spoiler code a 20+year old film that was likely DDVD even for it's time so......look away or read at your own risk.
*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*
The film is really at it's core a Terminator rip-off film. Dylan plays an ex-soldier(Moses or Mo) who's been let go but you don't find that out till the end. He still goes off, leaves his metal shop working artist girlfriend Jill(Travis) home cause he's to proud to tell her he was discharged. Anyway he comes across a guy whose just left the "No Zone" who wants to barter the parts to an unknown droid he found. This is part of a test droid with high assassination skills which is why no one recognizes it. He buys it, gives it to his girlfriend and the droids self sustaining power source enables it to reassemble itself from spare parts laying around and begins trying to kill everything in sight. End of Movie.

I tried to remind myself of the era it was done in but even for then it's a fairly bad blatantly obvious rip-off lower budget film of Terminator + maybe Short Circuit. Since in 1990 Terminator had yet to become the franchise we now know perhaps ripping it off was easy to do but they did it bad imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 02:27 AM   #918
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD
Tom Hendricks

View Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD's Twitter Profile

The Lorax - Blu-Ray - I'm very iffy about movies of Dr. Seuss books. With saying that, I absolutely loved this movie. I know a lot has changed in this version to make it a feature length, however it was done with a lot of wit and charm and they really made it work. I would actually consider this the best Dr. Seuss movie by a long shot. In fact I have now watched it 3 times in two days.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 02:27 AM   #919
CaptainCanada
Admiral

94. Intouchables (A-)

Or, in North American The Intouchables, which is a bit awkward. Apparently a cultural phenomenon in France and Europe (to the tune of over 300 million dollars), it's an example of formula done right (notwithstanding that it's based on a true story, which we're somewhat confusingly informed about in an epilogue, which just drops in the guys' real names without having previously specified who they are) -- funny, shiftless poor man befriends uptight, serious rich guy, they teach each other about responsibility and having fun. A story like this hinges on chemistry between the leads, and that's considerably in evidence; the movie is quite funny, and it's more serious moments generally work too, though Sy's troubled family connections seem like they needed a bit more time, particularly given how important they are to the denouement. I spent much of the movie convinced I'd seen Cluzet in something else before, but looking at the IMDb, apparently not -- he's just a dead ringer for a younger Dustin Hoffman.

Speaking of the IMDb, this is currently in their Top 250, which is pretty impressive for a foreign-language comedy that almost nobody in America saw. Apparently the Weinsteins are planning an English-language remake.

Cinema: 24 (+1)
Home Video: 60
Computer: 10

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 09:34 PM   #920
nvek86
Commander

99. Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

A fun adventure film set mostly in Paris at the beginning of the 20th century. There are moments where it feels as if they put everything in the screenplay they could think of (I'm guessing because they wanted to put in as many references to the comic series as possible), but it mostly works out in the end.
And talking mummies in "modern" times are always fun.
Old August 12 2012, 01:16 AM   #921
od0_ital
Admiral

The Watcher - DVD
Logan's Run (1976) - DVD
17 Again - DVD
Adventureland - DVD
The Campaign - free admission
Hope Springs - free admission
The Bourne Legacy - free admission

Had the day to kill, so I decided to just watch movies before my late shift.

Started off with The Campaign at 10:45 this mornin'...damn funny movie, which is to be expected considerin' its stars. There's stuff from the trailer that's not in the movie, so I'm lookin' forward to seein' the deleted/extended scenes when the DVD comes out.

Followed that up with Hope Springs at 1:05. Pretty good movie, though I think a bit too much is given away in the trailer, especially a bit from the final two scenes of the movie. Still worth watchin', especially the therapy scenes, just 'cause the expressions.

Then I just barely got into The Bourne Legacy at 4:20. Can't believe a show that early in the day almost sold out! Though it is Saturday...

Anyway, a nice way to do a Bourne movie without Matt Damon, I'm not sure I'd want to see Jeremy Renner's character in a sequel from this one, or another cheat, considerin' what happens in this story. Next Bourne movie better have Matt Damon.

Last edited by od0_ital; August 12 2012 at 10:16 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 02:17 AM   #922
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

55. Hot Fuzz: B
56. Total Recall (2012): A-
57. Total Recall (1990): B+
58. Hardware: D+
59. The Bourne Legacy: A-

This film continues the story element gimmick of overlapping part of the prior movie. I would call this movie more of a suspense thriller with a few action sequences than strictly an action movie. I was impressed with Renner, after MI:4, Avengers and now this he has full on action cred in my book.
I would say that I would've liked a bit more backstory on Cross but what we got was good enough for the story I'm just being greedy.
I think the movie succeeded at what it's goal was which was to show how now that Bourne has blown things wide open with Treadstone and Black Briar how far down the rabbit hole do things go. That's what this film did was show the audience just how sideways things were going while Bourne was wrapping up in part 3.
Old August 12 2012, 10:32 AM   #923
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Gattaca (8)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 68
Old August 12 2012, 05:27 PM   #924
CaptainCanada
Admiral

95. The Seven Year Itch (B+)

Marilyn Monroe's first film with Billy Wilder (the second being, of course, the classic Some Like It Hot). It's consistently funny, though it never really crosses the line into being a great film.

Cinema: 24
Home Video: 61 (+1)
Computer: 10

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 06:12 PM   #925
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

219. The Invention of Lying: (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - This is the story about a world where no one ever tells a lie. They always tell it like is, no one is polite and nothing is held back to spare others' feeling. Then one day one man learns to say what isn't (lie) and uses that to his advantage. He's able to do this because lying is a foreign concept, so everyone just believes whatever he says. Stars Ricky Gervais and Jennifer Garner. I wasn't expecting much, but the brutal honesty from the characters really grabbed me and kept my interest. What would actually happen if everyone told the truth all the time, including criminals? It's a fascinating concept to build a world around and the end result here was fun to watch. I recomend this movie. And if you watch it on DVD, there's a short that serves as a prequel. It takes place in the prehistoric era and shows us where our world and the one in this movie diverged. Basically, our world came obout because one caveman introduced a lie and the world in this movie came about because he told the truth. The cavemen are played by the movie's cast.

220. Total Recall: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - I talk more about it here. Basically, it wasn't as good as the original, but it had some good effects, I liked the cast and there were some good homages to the original.

221. Hanna: (✩✩½) - DVD - A girl who was raised by her father in the wilderness to be an assassin, makes her way to the real world where she's hunted by the head of an agency. Stars Saorise Ronan, Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett. The movie is slightly stylized in that it has a lot of quick cuts and some odd music. I don't have enough experience with European film to make a comparisson, but that's what I'm reminded of. The story isn't very engaging, but Ronan does pretty well as an action hero.

222. Tower Heist: (✩✩✩) - DVD - The employees of a New York building lose their retirement savings to a Bernie Madoff-type character who lives there. One of them then takes it upon himself to put together a team to steal $40 million stashed away in the guy's condo. Stars Ben Stiller, Alan Alda, Matthew Broderick, Téa Leoni and Eddie Murphy. It doesn't have the same brand of Ben Stiller humor that I'm used to, but it's still a fun movie and Eddie Murphy looked like he was back on his game after all these years. If you see this on DVD, you'll get to see two parts of a happy ending in the bonus features that weren't in the movie itself. They aren't alternate ending, they're scenes that were left out. Don't know why.

223. Friends with Kids: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - Two platonic friends decide to have a child together. Written by, directed by and stars Jennifer Westfeldt. The supporting cast includes her boyfriend Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolf, Megan Fox and Ed Burns. I enjoyed watching this movie. I thought Ed Burns had something to do with it because it explores life and relationships the way his movies usually do. I also wish they had shown more of the awkwardness of two friends trying to have sex to conceive a child. And I know the movie isn't about pregnancy, but somehow I wish they hadn't glossed over it.

224. Gone: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A young woman's is kidnapped right from her room and her sister who lives with her takes it upon herself to find the kidnapper while the police try to stop her. Stars Amanda Seyfried. It's an engaging thriller, but I was disappointed with the outcome.

225. Wanderlust: (✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - A couple who couldn't make it in New York decide to head to Atlanta, but along the way, they end up in a hippy commune. Hilarity ensues, and boy does it. Stars Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston. This movie didn't disappoint. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was funny without being stupid.

226. Brick: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A high school kid takes it upon himself to find out who killed his ex girlfriend. Stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I thought the story was convoluted but I'm giving it some extra points for its style. The characters are high school kids, but the events play out like something that takes place in the dark and gritty adult world of murder and intrigue. It's a film noir detective story set in high school.

227. The Bourne Legacy: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Jeremy Renner wasn't bad as an action hero, but the movie itself lacked the frenetic energy of the previous installments. I liked the story though once it got going and I wouldn't mind seeing more of these made.

228. Defendor: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - An emotionally retarded man becomes a vigilante called Defendor and sets out to bring down "Captain Industry". Watch and it'll make more sense. Stars Woody Harrelson, Kat Dennings, Elias Koteas and Sandra Oh. It's a Canadian film shot in Toronto. The concept is a great one and Woody's character is enjoyable to watch, but the story itself could be tedious and for that I'm docking points.

Theatre: 13
DVD/Blu-Ray: 86
Live TV: 90
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 30
Internet: 4
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 07:48 PM   #926
nvek86
Commander

100. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I have wanted to watch this for several years and finally managed it. I can see why it became a cult film. It's wonderfully weird (loved the cuts to the narrator), but in the end I thought it was just ok.
And my favourite song from it was "Science Fiction/Double Feature" right at the beginning.
Old August 13 2012, 12:19 AM   #927
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Did you watch it at home, or did ya go out to see it with a shadow cast/cosplayers? I've only watched all the way through durin' shadow cast performances, myelf...not really worth watchin' in an empty room.

The Watcher - DVD
Logan's Run (1976) - DVD
17 Again - DVD
Adventureland - DVD
The Campaign - free admission
Hope Springs - free admission
The Bourne Legacy - free admission
Killer Joe - free admission

Only one new movie for me today, but at least it was a white trash murder for hire story set in Dallas, TX but filmed in New Orleans, LA...

Chris has a problem - he owes money to a drug dealer. But Chris has a solution in mind, too. He goes to Ansel, and together they contact Killer Joe Cooper, a hitman for hire who also happens to be a police detective. Chris & Ansel want Killer Joe to murder Chris's mother so his sister, Dottie, can collect the insurance money, it can be split among the family & Chris can pay of his debt.

Bad choices, bad ideas, coerced sex, and all kinds of abuse & assaults follow when Killer Joe takes Dottie as his "retainer" 'til she collects the insurance.

Killer Joe earns its NC-17 rating with full frontal female nudity from young star Juno Temple, language, violence, and a simulated sex scene involvin' Matthew McConaughy, Gina Gershon & some fried chicken.

Never gonna eat at KFC again after that one...

Got a plan to see a free advance screenin' of The Odd Life of Timothy Green tomorrow, and may go to Music Monday at the Drafthouse Ritz for Dave Chapelle's Block Party.
Old August 13 2012, 06:25 PM   #928
Harvey
Admiral

119. Stealth (F)

Stealth: So, the movie stars a white man, a black man, and a white woman. Points if you can figure out which one is killed, which two are paired romantically, and which one is promiscuous. Of course, this sort of conservatism doesn't even begin to cover the stupidity here. In a rational universe, the events of the movie would result in World War III, but this being a jingoistic ode to militarism in the age of the war on terror (which, of course, is best fought by supersonic jets with heavy weaponry -- honestly, it shocks me that this was funded by a major studio and not Boeing), the white American heroes get away with their lives and are lauded as heroes. My favorite cut might be when the heroes go from being on the North Korean side of the DMZ, which they have laid waste to, to being alive and well on their aircraft carrier in the Philippine Sea. Since it's set in the near future, we can assume that land mines no longer exist (and that the South Koreans would accept the Americans who had jeopardized their fragile peace with wanton killing and destruction with open arms).

Theatres: 42
Home Video: 69 +1
Computer: 8

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 08:34 PM   #929
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I've never seen this but just recall the trailers looking bad so I didn't go, not even for Biel. It's not even in my Netflix queue and I just saw Hardware so I'm not above trying questionable fare. Your review makes it sound "so bad it's good" though.
Old August 13 2012, 08:49 PM   #930
Harvey
Admiral

Definitely a candidate for "so bad it's good" viewing. If there isn't a rifftrax for it, there should be.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote