Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 14 2012, 07:51 AM   #826
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

21) Moonrise Kingdom - (2012) - A
22) Fantastic Mr. Fox - (2009) - B+

After watching Moonrise Kingdom, I kind of wanted to see another Wes Anderson movie, and in searching for a movie to see on Itunes tonight, I looked up Fantastic Mr. Fox to see if it was available to rent. I've heard many good things about it, and figured I'd continue visiting Anderson's films to see if I liked this one as much as Moonrise Kingdom. (I also saw that he did Life Aquatic and I didn't like that movie very much, and right now, I still consider it the weakest in his catalog).

Anyway, Fantastic Mr. Fox wasn't as good as Moonrise Kingdom, but I still enjoyed it. It has the quirkiness of Anderson (Not to mention the soundtrack, which I noticed with MK and now with Fox, has a certain Anderson Charm to them) but I thought the charm was missing somewhat. Still, I really liked the cast (George Clooney actually having to act and, who knew, Meryl Streep wasn't playing Thatcher/Juila Childs here) and the story was fun, not to mention short and sweet. However, people called this movie funny and while there were some humorous bits, I didn't laugh that much. It was mainly the cast, that quirkiness, the music, and the scenery that made this movie.

In this revisit, I think sometime this year I might finally check out Royal Tenenbaums. I remember watching the trailer thinking that it was going to be a stupid movie, but I think I remember hearing the reception was positive.

Theater: 8
BluRay: 6
On Demand/TV: 2
Itunes: 6 (+1)

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 04:30 PM   #827
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

45. Brave: B+
46. Kill Bill vol.1: A-
47. Kill Bill vol.2: B
48. The Amazing Spider-man: B-
49. Virgin Territory: C-

Although I've not see A Knight's Tale I feel this movie plays in a similar vein. It's about how a young Florence woman of nobility is betrothed to marry a Russian prince after her family perishes from the Black Plague. All over young woman are heading to convents as that seems the be a place of solace from the disease. However, these woman don't all really also care about taking the vows. The young men are trying to find ways in. It's a breast fest basically but it was nice to be reintroduced to Kate Groombridge. It was a silly movie to break things up.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 06:13 PM   #828
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Wrath of the Titans

...l wasn't crazy about the first one, maybe because it lived too much in the shadow of the original '80's version. But this sequel totally defied my expectations. Badass beyond belief.

Evangelion 1:11

...Supreme amime awesomeness. Apocalyptic giant robot madness on a truly epic scale. Cannot be recommended enough.
Old July 15 2012, 12:03 AM   #829
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
Daybreakers (5)Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Gattaca (8)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 59
Old July 15 2012, 01:10 AM   #830
CaptainCanada
Admiral

84. Margaret (A-)

As with most people, only now do I have the opportunity to see Kenneth Lonergan's second film, the subject of long delays, protracted legal battles, and a campaign by critics to raise its profile after its initial two-theatre release. I'm reviewing the theatrical version here.

Even the most positive reviews I've seen for this often use the adjective "messy", and I think that's definitely the case. The 150-minute cut includes a number of characters who come across as seriously extraneous (Matt Damon and Jean Reno, mainly); possibly the 183-minute version is different. As it is, I think this version of the movie needed more editing, as it's left in some things that seem there just enough to be noticeable but not enough to be worthwhile.

I debated whether this was a B+ or an A-, and ultimately ended up on the high side, after looking at the other movies I've recently assigned that rating. Margaret has too many really strong scenes, and even most of the more extraneous parts can be tied into the protagonist's journey in a way. Anna Paquin's performance is astonishingly good; the best female lead performance of 2011 (or 2006, I guess?), I'd say.

Cinema: 19
Home Video: 56 (+1)
Computer: 8

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 08:38 PM   #831
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

46. Kill Bill vol.1: A-
47. Kill Bill vol.2: B
48. The Amazing Spider-man: B-
49. Virgin Territory: C-
50. 21 Jump Street: B+

My friend and her fiancee just moved into their new house. He went out of town and she didn't want to be alone on a Sat night so me and another girlfriend went to keep her company.
She wanted to watch this. She knew I was hesitant about it, I just don't like Jonah Hill overall. Tatum doesn't lite my fire either as being good.

Dammit though if I'm not big enough to say my opinion based on the trailers and it not being at all "my 21 JS" didn't still allow for this to be way better than it had any right to be. I enjoyed it, I did and I did peg the Johnny Depp cameo before it was revealed.

I still as a rule wouldn't rush to pay theater price for it but it is a solid $1 RedBox rental. She got it from OnDemand though, not sure what she paid for that.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 09:09 PM   #832
nvek86
Commander

86. Snow White and the Huntsman

Pretty average fantasy film that doesn't seem to know where its focus lies (it changes from the Evil Queen to the Huntsman to Snow White). But it does have very good effects for the most part.
I think this would have been better if they had ditched the few things connecting it to the Snow White fairy tale and created their own fantasy world.
Old July 16 2012, 02:30 AM   #833
Harvey
Admiral

103. Cat Ballou (B)
104. Monsters, Inc. (B)

Cat Ballou -- The AFI called this the tenth best Western in a 2008 TV special. That's an inflated score for this comedy, but it's hard to deny how good Lee Marvin is in the dual role of a drunken cowboy/deadly gunman. It's a bit uneven at times, but the performances keep it moving along (Jane Fonda is good in the lead role, playing against the conventions of what a female can do in a Western film), and it often is quite funny ("I'm drunk as a skunk" makes for a memorable scene). It looked good in 35mm, especially for a film that was shot so quickly.

Monsters, Inc. -- A perfectly good Pixar movie, but not a great one. There isn't a scene that approaches the emotion you'll find in the prologue to Up, for example. One would expect more imagination in the world of the monsters, too -- the kind on display in the futuristic setting of Wall-E -- but what we get turns out to be fairly ordinary. The voice acting is quite good, though, and Randy Newman's score is spot on.

Theatres: 41 +1
Home Video: 55 +1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 08:41 AM   #834
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Theatre/Cinema

17. Brave
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 02:07 PM   #835
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Mirror Mirror - We watched it on demand and glad we did. I'll give it a C and I think that is being generous. There were things I like a lot about the movie. I actually liked Julia Roberts over the top Queen. I think it actually made the movie. Also the Dwarves were great as well, I really liked the whole training of Snow White montage with them. Also the vintage Tarsem visual style was there but toned down, which I think was a mistake. I think with Snow White he had the opportunity to go all out. However those few things couldn't save this film from being crushed under its own weight. While fiddling around with the story is okay, this story meanders around and never seams to be more then a string of set pieces.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:04 PM   #836
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

At the theater:
Safety Not Guaranteed
The Amazing Spider-Man
Men In Black III
John Carter
Prometheus
The Artist
Hugo
War Horse
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
The Avengers
The Hunger Games
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1
Titanic 3D

At special screenings:
Predator
Predator 2
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (at the La-La Land CD release party/screening)
The Living Daylights
Licence to Kill
Perv: The Cat
From Russia With Love
Starship Troopers (At the 15th Anniversary screening)

At marathons:
Alien
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
Alien 3
Alien: Resurrection

At home on video/DVD/Blu-Ray:
Midnight in Paris
The Descendants
Good Will Hunting
Local Hero
American Dreams Do Come True
Horrible Bosses
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 08:15 PM   #837
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Ted - free admission
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - free admission
Powder Blue - DVD
Crazy, Stupid Love - HBO
To Rome With Love - free admission
The Do Deca Pentathlon - free admission
ZAAT! - free admission
Manhattan - free admission
Extraterrestre - free admission
Magic Mike - free admission

Went to Weird Wednesday last week at Drafthouse South Lamar, and not only saw a cheesy "man in suit" monster movie from the early '70s, but got a miniposter autographed by the movie's writer for $10!

Thursday night was the last night for Manhattan at Drafthouse Slaughter, and I got into that showin' pretty easily.

Went back to South Lamar Saturday night for the foreign film Extraterrestre, and it was pretty funny.

Saw When Harry Met Sally... on the big screen for the first time Sunday mornin'.

And then got together with my friend Donna at Alamo Slaughter to see Magic Mike yesterday afternoon.
Old July 17 2012, 04:27 AM   #838
CaptainCanada
Admiral

85. The Dark Knight (A+)

With the finale to the trilogy only days away (I know I've got my ticket), time at last to revisit the movie. In many ways a change of pace from the first movie, I still think I prefer the first one in many respects, but this is a magnificent film on its own. I have quibbles here and there, but that's true of pretty much every film.

Cinema: 19
Home Video: 57 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:36 PM   #839
Harvey
Admiral

105. Torn Curtain (C)
106. Marnie (A-)

Torn Curtain: I've seen most of the canon of Alfred Hitchcock, but little of his black and white output, and none of his films made after The Birds. It's the latter period that I attended to yesterday, with his films from 1966 and 1964, which I ended up watching in reverse chronological order.

The first, starring the great Paul Newman and Julie Christie, is at best inessential Hitchcock and at worst a tepid, laborious thriller. Both leads are woefully miscast -- Newman has too much of a glint in his eye to be believable as an everyday man inexperienced at espionage, and he and Christie rarely make a believable couple. Worse, there are so many poorly shot background plates and badly painted backdrops on display that the tension is often destroyed before it can build (the bus sequence, a key set piece, is made laughable by shaky rear projection). Then there's a late incident with a Polish woman, which I gather is supposed to raise the suspense and engender our sympathy, but the woman is so annoying and over-the-top that it results in neither. The MacGuffin here -- a mathematical equation for... well, something -- is too intangible, and too easily acquired after being built up. The film does have one effective sequence, however -- the farmhouse murder -- which is brutal and intense, and rather unlike the rest of the movie.

Marnie: This is a fascinating and well-acted psychological thriller starring Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery (hot off the heels of Dr. No), and possibly the last essential Alfred Hitchcock movie. More Vertigo than The Man Who Knew Too Much -- Connery's character shares Jimmy Stewart's obsessions from that movie -- I can only fault it for a couple of preposterous backdrops that betray the backlot locations. It's little surprise to me that this failed while Torn Curtain succeeded -- the public never turned out when Hitchcock made a movie focused on psychology rather than suspense -- but it's a shame it didn't do better during the filmmaker's lifetime.

Theatres: 41
Home Video: 57 +2

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 07:52 PM   #840
nvek86
Commander

87. Superman vs The Elite

And very good Superman film that could have been a great one with a longer runtime to flesh some things out more (I know, they don't have the budget for longer films).
I think that something like this might actually be a good idea for a live action Superman film.