Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 12 2012, 05:06 AM   #811
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

81. Nine (C)

In further "$4.99 at Future Shop" adventures, there's this, what was to be the centrepiece of Miramax's 2009 Oscar campaign, but ended up being a dud. I didn't see it then, as a result; so is there anything worth seeing? Answer: you will believe that Daniel Day-Lewis can make a bad movie (well, he already kinda did with The Ballad of Jack and Rose, but that was a favour to his wife).

The musical this is based on is an adaptation of Fellini's 8 1/2 ("8 1/2" + "music" = "9"), which I haven't seen, but, for starters, the movie fails the most basic litmus test for musicals: does watching it make me want to buy the soundtrack? (Rob Marshall's earlier Chicago, by comparison, has the highest score on that test of any of the live-action musicals I've seen to date) Only a couple of the musical sequences are memorable, the rest failing because of an uninteresting song (not the film's fault, of course; in fact, two of the most memorable ones are originals created for the film, so they improved on some things there), or because Marshall's default formula of intersplicing the song with dialogue falls down (when it worked so seamlessly in Chicago).

And despite an extremely impressive ensemble cast, most of them have very little to do. Judi Dench, Sophia Loren, Kate Hudson, Fergie and Nicole Kidman are all virtually walk-ons or scenery (I'm also pretty sure the movie manages to fail the Bechdel Test despite having seven headlining actresses with five Oscars between them). Penelope Cruz has more, but kind of drops out of the movie in a way that doesn't feel very resolved; she got an Oscar nomination for this (memorably described by one of the At the Movies guys as a "punter nomination"), but while she's good, it's hard to see how anyone who actually watched the movie could nominate her over Marion Cotillard. Cotillard is, by far, the best thing about the movie, the only part that you can really connect to emotionally, and she has by far the best song, the climactic one (her first song is also one of the better ones).

The movie basically feels like Marshall trying to recreate his first and biggest critical success, but the bag of tricks he used there just doesn't fit this story, and the story itself never clicks. But many of my issues probably relate to the original product, so one can't lay all the blame with him.

Cinema: 19
Home Video: 53 (+1)
Computer: 8

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 08:42 AM   #812
Harvey
Admiral

101. The Conversation (A)

The Conversation -- I really like this film, although it takes enough time to establish the isolation of its main character that it might alienate some viewers. Hackman is brilliantly understated in the lead, a nice change of pace from his most famous roles. The music, essentially a solo piano score, is one of my favorites, and especially effective at conveying the emotional and mental state of the Hackman's character. It's been suggested that the final twist, which relies on a revised line reading of dialogue that has been replayed throughout the movie, is a bit of a cheat, but the film is so subjectively told that it doesn't bother me in the least.

I know CaptainCanada was put off by an allegedly out-of-character decision to accelerate the plot, but I find nothing of the sort when I see the film. I'd be curious to discuss that a bit.

Theatres: 40
Home Video: 53 +1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 03:00 PM   #813
CaptainCanada
Admiral

After spending so much time establishing how paranoid Hackman is, to the point that he seems barely able to open up to his longtime girlfriend/acquaintance, letting all those people into his office and then letting the other woman he barely knew stay there (allowing her to steal the tapes) just doesn't come across as plausible to me.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 12 2012, 08:09 PM   #814
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
After spending so much time establishing how paranoid Hackman is, to the point that he seems barely able to open up to his longtime girlfriend/acquaintance, letting all those people into his office and then letting the other woman he barely knew stay there (allowing her to steal the tapes) just doesn't come across as plausible to me.
Well, they had to go somewhere. It would have been less plausible if he took them to his apartment, even though that would seem a better place for a party. It's not as if he lets his competitor in on his trade secrets; he stops the tape when Stan begins to play it and keeps his best equipment behind a locked gate. He does explain his recent operation, but only to show up his competitor, who he doesn't seem to like at all.

As for the hooker, Harry is paranoid, of course, but it seems to me that his overriding emotion in the film is guilt, not paranoia. To him, she's a surrogate for Amy; he feels guilty about never opening up to Amy now that she's vanished. He's also distracted by his guilt about causing another murder; in a strange way the hooker is also a surrogate for the women he thinks is going to be killed.

Maybe these are just excuses, but it seems to me that as boastful as he is about not being personally involved ("I don't care what they're talking about -- I just want a big fat recording."), Harry Caul constantly feels guilty about what he does.

Old July 12 2012, 09:35 PM   #815
nvek86
Commander

84. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

I didn't like this as a Sherlock Holmes film, but as an adventure film set in the 19th century, this was quite fun and I especially liked the way the final fight was handled.
Old July 12 2012, 09:55 PM   #816
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

At the theater:
The Amazing Spider-Man
Men In Black III
John Carter
Prometheus
The Artist
Hugo
War Horse
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
The Avengers
The Hunger Games
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1
Titanic 3D

At special screenings:
Predator
Predator 2
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (at the La-La Land CD release party/screening)
The Living Daylights
Licence to Kill
Perv: The Cat
From Russia With Love
Starship Troopers (At the 15th Anniversary screening)

At marathons:
Alien
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
Alien 3
Alien: Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator
Aliens vs. Predator 2: Requiem

At home on video/DVD/Blu-Ray:
Midnight in Paris
The Descendants
Good Will Hunting
Local Hero
American Dreams Do Come True
Horrible Bosses
Star Trek Generations
Old July 13 2012, 04:30 AM   #817
CaptainCanada
Admiral

82. Insomnia (B+)

The other Nolan movie I haven't seen (well, apart from the first one). It's a pretty decent police thriller, with good performances from everybody (and Al Pacino looking reasonably engaged onscreen, which is a bit of a rarity in the last 10+ years). Robin Williams makes a good villain (he doesn't show up until halfway through so it's easy to forget he's even in the movie). The movie never quite becomes great, though, aided by a climax that involves the previously smart villain doing some rather stupid things.

Home Video: 54 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old July 13 2012, 05:09 AM   #818
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

I haven't made it to the theatres not even once this year. That's the fun of being broke. I would have at least liked to have seen The Avengers and Prometheus.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 07:45 AM   #819
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The other Nolan movie I haven't seen (well, apart from the first one).
Following is a micro-budget thriller, but it's a good one. Worth seeing if you stumble across it.

Out of curiosity, have you seen the original Norwegian version of Insomnia? Another poster suggested it displays themes that would later be on display in The Dark Knight, but I wonder what is from Nolan's imagination and what is simply taken from the original.

102. TRON (C)

TRON -- The premise is an interesting exercise in fantasy (what if computer programs were really intelligent beings that lived in their own society?), but the execution mostly takes the form of a juvenile action-adventure, hardly doing the idea justice. Visually, I admire the idea of mixing traditional 2D animation with 3D computer animation, but it doesn't always work, and the computer animation looks utterly primitive today.

The cast does a reasonable job -- David Warner is good as always as the villain, and Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner are good as the heroes of the piece -- but there are a few weaker links, including Cindy Morgan in the love interest role. The score, by Wendy Carlos, is at times superb, but more often than not demonstrates the limits of electronic scoring in 1982. It doesn't approach the craft of, say, Vangelis' score for Blade Runner.

This is the second time I've seen this film, and my reaction was about the same. I bet if I had seen it when I was younger, though, nostalgia would go along way. I think I would have loved it when I was eight or nine.

Theatres: 40
Home Video: 54 +1

Old July 13 2012, 01:03 PM   #820
CaptainCanada
Admiral

No, I haven't seen it.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 13 2012, 11:14 PM   #821
nvek86
Commander

85. The Amazing Spider-Man

I liked this slightly better than the Raimi films, but not a lot. The film's main problem seems to be that it was rather heavily cut down, because especially the villain's motivation is never really explained.
Old July 14 2012, 02:00 AM   #822
CaptainCanada
Admiral

83. Batman Begins (A+)

Continuing with the watch/rewatch, just in time for the completion of the trilogy. Seven years later, this is still a blast, and, apart from perhaps The Incredibles, the best superhero movie ever made (I recall deciding I ultimately preferred this to The Dark Knight; we'll see if that holds up). It has a great cast (and Nolan has started gathering the actors who'll carry him through the next decade), apart from Katie Holmes; partly it's how the character is written (I once read a review describing Rachel in this movie as an eager student council president, which is pretty accurate), but she just seems out of place, and Maggie Gyllenhaal did far more with this character in her next appearance.

Home Video: 55 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old July 14 2012, 02:14 AM   #823
Harvey
Admiral

I like Batman Begins a lot, but Katie Holmes' performance is worth more than a small demerit in my book, and the idiotic science of the microwave generator/fear drug shouldn't have made it to screen. Apparently, it activates when water is vaporized, but no one was ever affected by taking a hot shower. And, of course, the microwave generator vaporizes water -- just not water in people's bodies, it seems.

The Dark Knight, in my recollection, replaces Katie Holmes with a better actress, but doesn't give her as much to do (and then kills the character). It also struggles to make Two-Face work, both in terms of realism and character motivation. Then, there's the Joker's schemes; Heath Ledger is magnetic, and his performance does well to distract from the twisted plot machinations, but his plans don't always make sense and often rely on our heroes lacking intelligence.

Which is not to say I dislike either film; the first one is excellent and the second nearly as good. It's a testament to their craft that The Dark Knight Rises is the only superhero movie that I've been anticipating in several years. I'm rather tired of the genre and don't expect to be looking forward to another superhero film anytime soon, unless someone finally does the Hulk justice (unlikely, given the tepid reception of the Ed Norton version, which got it mostly right, but was hurt in editing).

Old July 14 2012, 02:40 AM   #824
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I liked Mark Ruffalo in The Avengers and think he could carry a Hulk movie if done well. I never saw the Ed Norton Hulk film, and I find Eric Bana kind of boring, as was the entire movie as a whole.

I too am looking forward to Dark Knight Rises, but I think I'm just more looking forward to the finality of it all. I just hope the hype is worth it and we have a truely epic conclusion. Of course this being Christopher Nolan, I expect that to be the case but I can't have my expectations too high just in case there is some disappointment.
Old July 14 2012, 02:51 AM   #825
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
And, of course, the microwave generator vaporizes water -- just not water in people's bodies, it seems.
Sci-fi science never really makes much sense; it just needs a gloss of plausibility, which I think the movie provides.

- Homer Simpson