Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 6 2012, 12:32 AM   #781
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Repeaters. This is an indie time loop movie about three people in rehab who keep repeating Wednesday. There is a certain gilding the lily aspect to the metaphor time loop=doing the same old stupid shit that's ruining your life. Also it has a good dose of arthouse fallacy (nothing happening is Realistic.) Plus the basic code of morality in this play is not terribly sophisticated. But on the plus side, this is a labor of love, with excellent performances from most of the actors. The movie's script actually coordinates the themes with the vaguely SFnal metaphor. And the moral code may be a trifle simplistic but it is a moral code, not sensationalist wallow with a smug moral appended for cover.
Old July 6 2012, 04:02 AM   #782
CaptainCanada
Admiral

76. Glory (A)

I watched at least part of this once on History Television (back when they still showed movies that had some actual historical basis), but the only part that stuck was the climactic battle and one or two of Matthew Broderick's early scenes (it was like 10-12 years ago). Taking the time to really watch it now, it's a great film (still Edward Zwick's best), with an especially downbeat ending for a big budget film (it kills off all its important characters, even though half the regiment survived). It features three of the best black actors of the modern era: Denzel Washington (in his first Oscar-winning role), Morgan Freeman, and Andre Braugher; this is, I believe, as yet the only time Washington and Freeman have shared the screen, and their scenes are predictably high quality. Cary Elwes is quite good; Broderick is okay, but he feels vaguely period-inappropriate.

Cinema: 17
Home Video: 50 (+1)
Computer: 8

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 01:28 PM   #783
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Glory is one of my favorite movies, look at my quote. I watch it often, I have read a lot about the 54th Massachusetts and Buffalo Soldiers.

I agree about the performances, I think all the actors understood the weight they were carrying. While I kinda agree with you about Matthew Broderick's performance, I still think he does a good enough job. But of course the stand out performances of Denzil Washington, Andre Braugher and especially Morgan Freeman. I think I may have to re-watch it again tonight.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
76. Glory (A)

I watched at least part of this once on History Television (back when they still showed movies that had some actual historical basis), but the only part that stuck was the climactic battle and one or two of Matthew Broderick's early scenes (it was like 10-12 years ago). Taking the time to really watch it now, it's a great film (still Edward Zwick's best), with an especially downbeat ending for a big budget film (it kills off all its important characters, even though half the regiment survived). It features three of the best black actors of the modern era: Denzel Washington (in his first Oscar-winning role), Morgan Freeman, and Andre Braugher; this is, I believe, as yet the only time Washington and Freeman have shared the screen, and their scenes are predictably high quality. Cary Elwes is quite good; Broderick is okay, but he feels vaguely period-inappropriate.

Cinema: 17
Home Video: 50 (+1)

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:59 PM   #784
Harvey
Admiral

I like Glory quite a bit, but it is annoying to have another movie about an important event in black history starring a white guy (or, in this case, two of them).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 07:07 PM   #785
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I understand what your saying but it's based on a true story. Without Shaw, you don't have much of a story beyond black soldiers getting to fight in the Civil War. Shaw's story is integral to the creation of the 54th. So could you do a movie on the 54th Massachusetts and not focus on Shaw, sure probably. However I think it would do an injustice to his story as much as the black soldiers.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I like Glory quite a bit, but it is annoying to have another movie about an important event in black history starring a white guy (or, in this case, two of them).

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 10:20 PM   #786
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I think the movie mostly eschews the tropes associated with that. The movie isn't about Broderick learning to be not racist, he's not portrayed as uniquely heroic or whatever, and the various black characters are all well-developed, both individually and amongst each other; and I don't think he really dominates the movie. Also, since Broderick's character was in charge, I think a telling of the regiment's story would have needed him in a significant role (the movie actually reassigns some of his character's real-life actions to others; the paycheque boycott was Shaw's idea, but the movie gives it to Denzel Washington's character). Elwes' character I would argue is less important than any of the main black trio.

77. Savages (B+)

Oliver Stone steers away from politics and produces a very enjoyable crime thriller. Never quite crosses over into becoming a great movie (he throws in a weird fakeout at the end that I don't in principle object to [directors screwing around with audience expectations can be fun, and he does that well at a few other points in the movie], but doesn't really serve any thematic or narrative purpose), but it's fun. And while it's perhaps not saying that much, looking at her recent filmography, this is probably Salma Hayek's most interesting part since Frida.

Cinema: 18 (+1)
Home Video: 50

- Homer Simpson
Old July 7 2012, 12:15 AM   #787
Harvey
Admiral

95. Carlos (A-)

Carlos -- At 339 minutes, it took me a week to make it through this three-part bipoic, but it wasn't because the film was boring. The movie is stylish and dynamic throughout, without ever being distracting, most of all during the bravura hour-long sequence detailing the 1975 OPEC hostage crisis. Cast-wise, Edgar Ramirez is a revelation in the title role -- it's a shame he didn't get the part in the forthcoming Star Trek movie -- and most of the supporting cast is rather good, too. The only flaw, really, is that Carlos' ultimate fate is to go out with a whimper rather than a bang, but this is true to real life and sort of befitting to a character who can never quite accept that he has become irrelevant to geopolitics in the 1990s. Although it's a French-German co-production (I can only imagine the two-dimensional villainous bent an American version of Carlos' life would take; thankfully this film offers plenty of nuance and complexity), many languages are spoken and most of the dialogue is actually in English.

Theatres: 40
Home Video: 48 +1
Computer: 7

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 01:10 PM   #788
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Theatre/Cinema
Television Broadcast

15. The Amazing Spider-Man
Better than the 2002 film

16. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
As good as I remembered it.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 01:35 PM   #789
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

The Three Stooges- Ugh. Don't know why l even watched this, when l could have been cutting myself instead. Some of the cast members really ought to reevaluate their careers after this travesty, namely Larry David and Stephen (Captain Decker) Collins.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 08:09 PM   #790
nvek86
Commander

82. Indien

The film starts as an average road film/comedy about two hotel inspectors, but the focus changes in the middle when one of them discovers that he has cancer. The film actually gets better as it combines the funny and the tragic elements.
Old July 7 2012, 08:46 PM   #791
CaptainCanada
Admiral

78. The Amazing Spider-Man (B+)

Discussed over in the grading thread more; I considered making this either B+ or A-, settled for the lower grade for now (the plotting and some of the early moments aren't without problems). But there's a lot of good stuff here, and certainly potential for sequels to improve on it.

Cinema: 19 (+1)
Home Video: 50

- Homer Simpson
Old July 8 2012, 04:22 AM   #792
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

44. Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter: B-
45. Brave: B+
46. Kill Bill vol.1: A-
47. Kill Bill vol.2: B
48. The Amazing Spider-man: B-

Brave - cute Pixar addition to the library but it's for sure a kids movie. The film isn't laced with a fair number of slight adult jokes that would go over kids heads. I enjoyed the score, both vocals and instrumental.

Kill Bill vol.1 - yeah, I never saw this and with Django Unchained looming I felt it time to get these Tarrantino films watched. I felt the opening volume was stronger, tighter and flowed much better. Strong film all things being equal.

Kill Bill vol.2 - felt this was more uneven. Frankly I felt my interest waning during certain parts. The Bride ripping out Black Mamba's last eye though--that was gold! Felt the actual "death" of Bill was anti-climatic.

The Amazing Spider-man: my full thoughts are here in the discussion thread. Structurally this film is flawed from the screenplay through to the edit bay. What saves my grade from dipping into the C range is that Emma Stone and Dennis Leary are great. The action scenes are well done and easy enough to follow (no Micheal Bay stuff here) and the music score is pretty good. Stacked next to each other though the 2002 Raimi film beats this in terms of straight up screenplay, pacing, character depth etc, etc. Forget adaptation it's just a better overall movie.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:36 PM   #793
nvek86
Commander

83. Roman Holiday

A delightful old comedy with an ending I did not expect, but I'm glad they chose it.
Old July 8 2012, 09:00 PM   #794
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Ted - free admission
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - free admission
Powder Blue - DVD
Crazy, Stupid Love - HBO
To Rome With Love - free admission
The Do Deca Pentathlon - free admission

Back when PB was comin' out, I was still at the Hilton, and my boss there was loosin' his mind over the idea of Jessica Biel as a stripper. Picked up the DVD for $3 at Big Lots! and was still disappointed with the movie, and not just 'cause of her character. It was just a bad movie all the way around...

Caught CSL on cable before work yesterday mornin'...pretty funny, not great, though. I was glad it ended before I had to start gettin' ready, 'cause no way I'd rent it just to see that endin'.

Came to my theater to see the latest from Woody Allen...I liked Alec Baldwin, and Penelope Cruz was fun to look at, but other than that, I'm glad I got in for free.

Hangin' out now, waitin' to see The Do-Deca Pentathlon before my shift tonight...

- edit, to add -

Well, that was probably the best of the last few movies, I've seen.

Last edited by od0_ital; July 8 2012 at 11:50 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 12:54 AM   #795
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Just got back from Moonrise Kingdom. It was good, in a quirky sort of way.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote