TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 2 2012, 08:29 PM   #766
nvek86
Commander

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

78. Penelope

This could have been a cute little film, but for one thing: Penelope's supposedly hideous face, isn't hideous. But since that's more or less the whole point of the film, it doesn't really work.
Old July 3 2012, 03:49 AM   #767
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

39. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs: B
40. Beauty & the Beast: A+
41. Bambi: A-
42. Sex & the City 2: D+
43. Top Gun: B

Having just gotten back from my third trip to San Diego I ate at the Kansas City Barbeque. The hotel I stayed at required me to walk past it. It features into two scenes of the Top Gun film. A sign hangs visible from the sidewalk "Home of the Slutty Bar Scene".

So, I came home, bought the film for $5 and you know what...the film isn't as great as my 80's childhood remembers it being. It's still an enjoyable film but it doesn't still hold that "A" status as other 80's films I feel do hold up. I had trouble buying he romance this time around. Talk about feeling forced. Maverick and Goose, their relationship still holds up I feel. I also just didn't buy that Maverick would break down like he did, Goose dying or not. If he's fighting this ghost of his family tree then bugging out like he did seems counterintuitive to all his inner tough guy schtick.

I watched half of the special features, the making of segments and those were frankly just as interesting. The film nearly got put into turnaround. The studio didn't "get it" to hear Bruckehimer(sp) tell it. Tom Cruise was to get $1 MILLION DOLLARS for the film--big time bread in '87.

Still a fun film though and the food at KCBBQ wasn't bad either.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 05:37 AM   #768
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
Daybreakers (5)Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Gattaca (8)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 57
Old July 3 2012, 06:11 PM   #769
Agent Richard07
Retired

193. Horrible Bosses: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Three guys (Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis & Charlie Day) have horrible bosses, so they set out to take care of their situation. If you're asking yourself why they don't just quit, that's dealt with in the movie. The bosses are played by Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell and Jennifer Aniston. This was a surprisingly good comedy mainly because the people who played the bosses were on top of their game. Kevin Spacey was a real ass if there ever was one, Colin Farrell played against type, giving us a weirdo with a recedeing hairline, and then there's Jennifer Aniston. I'm not a fan of hers, but this is hands down the best role she's ever played. She played an over confident sex-crazed dentist who fooled around with her patients while they were anesthetized and unconscious, and sexually harrassed her assistant, one of our three main guys. She was damn hot too. I didn't recognize her at first. She came off as any guy's dream boss, but given that our guy was engaged and a bit milquetoast, she came off as a horrible boss to him. Donald Sutherland, Bob Newhart, Jaime Foxx and Ioan Gruffudd also make appearances and the latter two also play against type. Their roles are small but funny and memorable. Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman also did The Switch, but this time, they don't have any scenes together.

194. Hot Tub Time Machine: (✩✩½) - Live TV - Four guys go on vacation to a lodge where a hot tub with unusual properties sends them into their own past, Quantum Leap-style. It's not a good comedy, but it's weird enough to be at least a little fun. The movie also has Rob Corddry and Craig Robinson and they're always good.

195. Eat Pray Love: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Julia Roberts plays a woman who's sick of her life and decides to leave her husband, then her younger lover in order to travel for a year. The meat of the movie is divided into three parts outlined in the title. First, in Italy, she learns how to truely enjoy living and taking it all in, including good food (eating). Then she tries letting go while in an ashram in India (pray). The third theme, love, was the most interesting, because I didn't know how it would unfold. The trailers make it seem like she has a great fling with Javier Bardem, but that doesn't quite happen the way you'd think, and there's more to this part than I expected. The movie isn't super deep, but it does hit on some good stuff. And it doesn't hit you over the head with any sort of philosophy the way the a lot of critics suggest either. It falls into the "standard Hollywood entertainment" category, but it's good and I liked it.

196. Columbus Circle: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A 35 year old heiress (Selma Blair) to a vast fortune hasn't left her New York apartment in 17 years. Then one day, her elderly neighbor is killed and a young couple move in (Jason Lee and Amy Smart). She then finds herself the target of something that's about to go down. Also stars Giovanni Ribisi, Beau Bridges, Kevin Pollack and Robert Guillaume. This movie was released directly to home video earlier this year and wasn't well recieved by many. I really liked it though. I like Selma Blair and the rest of the cast, and found it to be a pretty good thriller despite a few things at the end that were half-baked, rushed or glossed over.

Theatre: 9
DVD/Blu-Ray: 72
Live TV: 81
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 25
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 06:12 PM   #770
Agent Richard07
Retired

June Rundown (34 Movies)

5 Stars
None

4½ Stars
None

4 Stars
Bridesmaids - DVD
Gojira - Live TV
Good Dick - DVD
Horrible Bosses - DVD
How to Make Love to a Woman - Internet
Prometheus - Theatre
Snow White and the Huntsman - Theatre
Spartacus - Live TV
The Vow - On Demand

3½ Stars
17 Again - DVD
3000 Miles to Graceland - DVD
Eat Pray Love - DVD

3 Stars
Earthquake - Live TV
Easy A - DVD
Flirting With Disaster - Live TV
Helen - Live TV
Hereafter - DVD
How Do You Know - DVD
Insidious - DVD
Last Night - DVD
Living with the Enemy - Live TV
Love, Wedding, Marriage - Live TV
Mothra - Live TV
Shutter Island - DVD
The Back-Up Plan - Live TV
The Ghost Writer - Live TV
The Switch - DVD
Triage - DVD
Waitress - Live TV

2½ Stars
Hot Tub Time Machine - Live TV
Rodan - Live TV
She Drives Me Crazy - Live TV

2 Stars
The Note II: Taking a Chance on Love - DVD

1½ Stars
Adoration - Live TV

1 Star
None

½ Star
None

0 Stars
None
Old July 3 2012, 08:47 PM   #771
nvek86
Commander

79. Peur sur la ville

A slow moving crime thriller set in Paris. The slow parts work great in the beginning when they built suspense, but later (especially during a very long chase scene) I wish they'd cut a few things.
Old July 3 2012, 10:29 PM   #772
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Ted - free admission
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D - free admission

Got together with my friend Angie K to see the new Spider-Man movie this afternoon, first 3D show of the day.

I thought it was alright, nothin' new to the franchise, though. And I don't see why they had to reboot and make a new origin story to tell this story.

Angie said she liked Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker more than Tobey Maquire, so there's that.

Also, there's a midcredit bonus scene, so if ya go see it, stick around a few minutes to check it out.
Old July 3 2012, 10:59 PM   #773
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

21) Moonrise Kingdom - 2012) - A

What a weird, unique, and fun movie this was. I could have gone to see Spiderman today (Big summer blockbuster and all) but because of word of mouth, I decided to see this small film instead, maybe looking for that Bridesmaids (Quiet sleeper summer movie that stands with the rest of the big boys) moment and I was not disappointed. This movie is about long lost love, dealing with crushes at 12 years old, and overall it was just fun. The setting was great, the music was awesome and Anderson made a movie that was memorable because it just felt so different, not to mention funny and really entertaining. Everyone, from Murray to Willis, to McDormand (Who's last movie I saw was Fargo last year) was great, but I was really interested in the child actors. Both the actors who played Sam and Suzy were really surprisingly good and charming, and the other kid actors complimented the two leads really well. I would disparately recommend it.

Theater: 8 (+1)
BluRay: 6
On Demand/TV: 2
Itunes: 5

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 07:05 PM   #774
CaptainCanada
Admiral

75. Amelie (A)

Came across this for $4.99 on Blu-ray at Future Shop yesterday (that's why it pays to visit there frequently). This is one of the most high-profile foreign movies of the 00s; I didn't see it at the time (being rated R and all, though I don't think I was interested enough in this sort of thing then either). I expect the #1 descriptor for this film is "whimsical", and it certainly fits -- it starts out rather like a storybook, with its narration. For a good bit into the movie, Audrey Tatou really doesn't have that much to do, in fact, but she takes over by the second half and really impresses (enough to become Hollywood's go-to Frenchwoman for half a decade until Marion Cotillard arrived).

Cinema: 17
Home Video: 49 (+1)
Computer: 8

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 09:06 PM   #775
nvek86
Commander

80. Welcome to Collinwood

With the cast in this film, I'd expected more, but the film was alright with a few funny bits now and then.
Old July 5 2012, 03:22 AM   #776
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

39. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs: B
40. Beauty & the Beast: A+
41. Bambi: A-
42. Sex & the City 2: D+
43. Top Gun: B
44. Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter: B-

I posted in the review thread in detail. I'll just say here that it was entertaining but seems to be a rushed film. Either the screenplay omitted elements during the adaptation or they ended up on the cutting room floor.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 03:11 PM   #777
Agent Richard07
Retired

197. The Next Three Days: (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - A man's wife has been falsely accused of murder and ends up in prison. With little hope but to have her rot there, he then hatches a plan to break her out and escape with her and their child. Stars Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks. This was a seriously good thriller and I can find little fault with it. I'd have given it 5 stars, but I reserve that for movies that have something special that sends it completely over the top. This one is pretty damn good though.

198. The Amazing Spider-Man: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Not a mind blowing superhero movie and it doesn't bring anything new or fresh to the table for Spider-Man, but I still enjoyed the movie well enough. I talk more about the movie here.

199. Date Night: (✩✩✩) - DVD - A regular New Jersey couple (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) do out on one of their regular date nights and find that they can't get seated, so they take someone else's reservations. As it turns out, the people who's reservations they stole are in a lot of trouble with some very bad people. Hilarity ensues as our couple spends the night on the run. Mark Wahlberg, James Franco, Mila Kunis, Ray Liotta and Mark Ruffalo also have small roles. On one hand, the movie has a lot of stuff that's just glossed over or totally contrived just to keep the story going, but on the other, it has a few laugh-out-loud moments that I really liked. Unfortunately, the humor doesn't balance out the illogic and poor structure, so I can't call this a great movie. It's enjoyable, but not great.

Theatre: 10
DVD/Blu-Ray: 74
Live TV: 81
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 25
Internet: 4
Old July 5 2012, 07:26 PM   #778
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

John Carter - I watched this on demand yesterday and I needed sometime to mull it over. While not a great or even good movie, it's not a bad movie. I guess I would rate it mediocre. Everyone was well cast except John Carter, who had not personality what so ever. However the real issue with the movie is that it's crushed under its own weight. It has no time to slowdown, it probably need at least another hour if not a second movie to tell this with some breath. I have not read the book Princess of Mars in a very, very long time. So I'm shady on the adaptation, may have to re-read it, to see where it truly went wrong. I will say this, it was beautifully shot and the effects were amazing.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 07:56 PM   #779
nvek86
Commander

81. A Few Good Men

I've of course known Nicholson's famous quote before, but until now I've never actually watched the film (and it's got several other very good lines). I thought it was great and deserves all the praise it gets.
Courtroom dramas may not be realistic in regards to court procedures, but I think they make for some of the best films and this one is no exception.
Old July 5 2012, 11:13 PM   #780
Harvey
Admiral

93. The Taking of Pelham 123 [1974] (B+)
94. High Anxiety (C+)

The Taking of Pelham 123 -- This was a terrific thriller, better than the 2009 remake in nearly every respect. What's most surprising is how funny it is -- Walter Matthau, Jerry Stiller, and the other working stiffs that populate the transit authority and the police force throughout the movie offer consistent amusement without undermining the movie's persistent sense of realism. The movie falls short of an A in the finale. A whole lot of tension is created when the train goes skyrocketing down the track after the bad guys have escaped, but it just sort of stops without the heroes' involvement. One of the villains is dispatched by electrocution at the end, and the staging makes it look a little more silly than it should. Finally, the search for the one bad guy who does get away stretches out the end a little too far. A meek character, he doesn't pose any threat, and with the hostages already freed, there's little tension. But these, ultimately, are minor complaints. It's a good thriller, populated by a great cast of character actors, and worth seeing while it's on Netflix.

High Anxiety -- Mel Brooks' love letter to Alfred Hitchcock never quite takes off. Sure, there are moments of brilliance (the camera crane crashing through walls, tense music turning out to be the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra on a bus driving by) but they're nothing new to Brooks' work. The film is best when it makes various references (some brief and some extended; the riff on The Birds might be the best) to Hitchcock's filmography, but there aren't enough of them to sustain the movie. Still, intermittently funny Mel Brooks is better than many alternatives when it comes to comedies these days.

Theatres: 40
Home Video: 47 +1
Computer: 7+1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote