RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,734
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 961
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 9 2012, 09:55 PM   #691
nvek86
Commander

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

70. Freundschaft

An Austrian film about a father and his son who come together to take care of the father's brother stuff after his death. It's mostly two people talking (it is based on a theater play and the film feels very small because of it), but with great performances from the two leads and several great lines this was very enjoyable.
Old June 10 2012, 01:41 AM   #692
CaptainCanada
Admiral

62. The Conversation (B+)

John Cazale filmography is now at 100%.

Made between Godfathers, this is a 70s paranoia thriller that defines "slow burn" in its depiction of its isolated protagonist. It's quite clever, Coppola certainly knows how to convey a paranoid atmosphere, and the closing twist is very clever (he also manages to make the constant repeating of one basic scene rather interesting; it reminds me of the old school espionage bits in The Good Shepherd). However, it devotes a ton of time to Hackman's character in the early stages that, at the end of the day, really is just constantly repeating the same point; and yet, the movie then abruptly has him make a completely out-of-character decision to move the plot along that feels completely against everything we've been shown up until that point.

Cinema: 14
Home Video: 41
Computer: 7 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:55 AM   #693
Agent Richard07
Admiral

166. Living with the Enemy: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Chuck's Sarah Lancaster stars as a woman who marries a billionaire, then finds herself forced to help the authorities bring him down due to shady activities. Typical TV movie fare, but it was fun to watch and has a twist at the end.

167. Insidious: (✩✩✩) - DVD - A couple deals with a malevolent spirit who wants to take control of their son's body so it can live again. Stars Rose Byrne and the guy who played Nite Owl in Watchmen. Good movie on astral projection and the like. It wasn't the scariest movie I've ever seen but it gets the job done if you watch it at night before bed.

168. How Do You Know: (✩✩✩) - DVD - An ensaemble romantic comedy that asks the question... How do you know when you're in a relationship? How do you know if someone is into you? How do you know if you should take the fall for a loved one in trouble when they'd get into even more trouble if caught? Stars Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Jack Nicholson and Reese Witherspoon. The movie seemed directionless for a while, but those afore mentioned questions came into focus and made the movie into something.

169. She Drives Me Crazy: (✩✩½) - Live TV - A wonan's husband dies and she finds herself going on a road trip, Themla & Louise style, with her estranged sister. Typical TV movie fare. Stars Krista Bridges and Melinda Clarke. What's funny is I watched the whole thing thinking that Melinda Calrke was Krista Allen. haha

170. Flirting With Disaster: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A 1996 comedy starring Ben Stiller, who plays a man looking for his birth parents. It had the usual Ben Stiller brand of comedy but it wasn't a memorable movie.

171. Earthquake: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - The lives of people in L.A. before, during and after a devastating earthquake. The all-star cast includes Charlton heston, Ava Gardner, Richard Roundtree, Lorne Greene, George Kennedy and Geneviève Bujold. A lot of buildup, a lot of denouement, campy in spots and I loved the cast.

172. 17 Again: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Matthew Perry, who's life is falling apart, turns into Zac Efron and gets to relive his youth for a few weeks, where he gets to have an impact on his soon-to-be ex wife and his kids as a mature teen. I thought this one was actually pretty good, but one issue at the end isn't dealt with. If you see it or have seen it, you'll know what it is.

Theatre: 8
DVD/Blu-Ray: 61
Live TV: 71
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 24
Internet: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 03:31 AM   #694
Harvey
Admiral

79. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (C-)
80. Your Sister's Sister (A)
81. The Gunfighter (B+)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture -- It was nice to see the Director's Edition on the big screen, although the SD image could only provide so much detail. I don't think judicious editing could turn this into a great film -- Decker and Ilia don't have much chemistry until she becomes a robot, the pastel colors rob the movie of the original series' vibrancy, the repeated use of split-diopter photography is needlessly distracting, the script has a couple of gaping, but necessary, holes, and some of the directing, particularly the blocking of actors, is quite awkward -- but it could serve to make it a good one. The film just isn't visually imaginative or well-designed enough to allow for the pacing of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fifteen minutes could be taken out of the movie, easily, and nothing would be lost. Wise wanted to establish the scale of the Enterprise and allow the audience to see the ship for the first time in ten years? Fine, but we don't need establishing shots of the orbital office that stretch nearly to 90 seconds, nor do we need to see Kirk and Scotty in awe...when all they're looking at is the orbital dry dock.

Your Sister's Sister: More mainstream than mumblecore, this film is well shot, well acted, well written and -- most of all -- hilarious. Possibly the best comedy of the year.

The Gunfighter: Gregory Peck is great in this early example of the revisionist Western from 1950, as is the supporting cast. Really, the only thing it does wrong is overstay its welcome, and it's only for about two minutes at the end. It was nice seeing a print on the big screen, too. Despite being low-budget, the film looks rather good.

Theatres: 36 +3
Home Video: 40
Computer: 5

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 03:55 AM   #695
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
Daybreakers (5)Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Gattaca (8)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 55
Old June 11 2012, 03:58 AM   #696
CaptainCanada
Admiral

63. American Gangster (A)

I think this is probably Ridley Scott's best film in at least the last twenty years (I haven't seen Thelma and Louise), and it may actually be my favourite of all the ones I've seen. The gangster epic seems to be one of the favourites of auteurs -- you can say a lot about American society. This one has Denzel Washington at its centre, in one of his most compelling performances (the man is also apparently resistant to age). Russell Crowe is also good, though his character isn't nearly as dynamic (if there'd been a bit more spark to him, the film might have earned a "+"). The film makes an interesting choice in not playing the two as rivals throughout, which feels more real.

Home Video: 42 (+1)
Computer: 7

- Homer Simpson
Old June 11 2012, 06:55 PM   #697
Harvey
Admiral

I saw that in theatres; I liked it, but found that it didn't have enough meat once Washington was caught. The film just ended. I know there is an extended version on home video; does the third act feel like it has been significantly extended to you?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:53 PM   #698
CaptainCanada
Admiral

From a look at the theatrical edition on my Blu-ray, the 10-15 minutes after Washington's arrest is pretty much the same through to him leaving prison in 1991, but the main addition to the extended cut comes there: a lengthy scene in 1991 with Washington and Crowe showing Washington reacting to the outside world and how things have changed.

- Homer Simpson
Old June 11 2012, 09:09 PM   #699
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

29. Snow White and the Huntsman: B-
30. Meet the Parents: A-
31. Meet the Fockers: B
32. Prometheus: B
33. Chernobyl Dairies: B-

Meet the Fockers I felt like was a strong enough follow-up to the first film but only really got going at about the midway point of the film. The last film in the trilogy should arrive tomorrow, Little Fockers.

Prometheus - was a beautifully made film that was addressing the larger existential questions man has been asking and I don't guess I expected that. I'll visit the Grade Thread on that and drop some thoughts which likely others have as well. As a pt.1 prequel to Alien it served that function pretty well also

Chernobyl Dairies - I saw this cause it's from the same creator of Paranormal Activity. As a film it still serves up some scares but the premise of "hand held cameraman" falls apart early in the film. Whereas in PA the stationary mounted cameras work great to capture things here in CD it's clear that no one in the group is actually filming anymore. Thus the need for shaky cam is lost as a "necessity" to telling the story in 1st person. I also have issue with the structure of the the Uri(tour guide) character.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 12:45 AM   #700
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Snow White and the Huntsman - free admission
Final Destination 3 - DVD
Piranha 3DD - free admission
The Final Destination - DVD
Final Destination 5 - DVD
Conan the Destroyer - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Austin-tatious - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Too Big to Ignore - Netflix Instant
Shark Night 3D - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Night Passage - Netflix Instant
Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Sea Change - Netflix Instant
Moonrise Kingdom - free admission

Went to see the latest from Wes Anderson this afternoon. I'm not a big fan of his movies, but he does get a good cast together for 'em, so I tend to watch 'em.

Two socially awkward, possibly mentally unstable, preteens meet, fall in love, and runaway to be together, him from a Boy Scout-type camp, her from home, both on the same island.

I actually like it, and may go see it again with a friend of mine, since she wants to see it, too.

I've got a plan to see Bobcat Goldthwaite's God Bless America tomorrow and Prometheus 3D on Wednesday.
Old June 13 2012, 03:24 AM   #701
CaptainCanada
Admiral

64. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (B+)

Revisiting this, one of the major surprises of last summer, my assessment is pretty much the same: it's a very good, intelligent movie, but a couple of issues keep it from being truly great as a whole. The human characters aren't nearly as compelling as the apes (apart from John Lithgow's superb turn), for starters, but that wouldn't be a big deal if the whole James Franco/David Oyelowo dynamic that the movie sets up doesn't make sense. You can nitpick various points of scientific procedure (as people have been doing extensively in their evaluations of Prometheus), but I can overlook little things like that for a compelling central theme, which is pretty normal in movies -- but the movie invests a lot in the idea that David Oyelowo's greed leads to the downfall of humanity, and...that's not true, at all. Everything bad that happens in the movie happens because of James Franco's actions, and the movie doesn't seem to realize that. All the same, the rest is quite thematically potent (it's a very effective update of Frankenstein, among other things), with phenomenal effects (it's funny that I'm a big fan of Hugo, but it definitely won two Oscars that belonged to movies that I overall rank lower than it).

Home Video: 43 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old June 13 2012, 12:43 PM   #702
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

30. Meet the Parents: A-
31. Meet the Fockers: B
32. Prometheus: B
33. Chernobyl Dairies: B-
34. Little Fockers: B-

Overall the Focker saga stayed fairly strong. By this third film though I had tired of the Kevin(Owen Wilson) character. He wasn't just the ex who was still friends with Pam and the Byrnes family, he clearly still had feelings for Pam. That back tattoo would've been the last straw if I was Gaylord.
You just knew from the moment Jessica Alba was seen on screen she was the temptress meant to test the marriage. So her scene of stripping down to her bare essentials and jumping all over Gaylord was no surprise. Although it was a good scene!
Good to see Laura Dern back in a film. I always wanted her to have her "solo" lead in a Jurassic Park film since it seemed the 2 sequels did that with the male leads.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 01:41 PM   #703
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Snow White and the Huntsman - free admission
Final Destination 3 - DVD
Piranha 3DD - free admission
The Final Destination - DVD
Final Destination 5 - DVD
Conan the Destroyer - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Austin-tatious - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Too Big to Ignore - Netflix Instant
Shark Night 3D - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Night Passage - Netflix Instant
Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Sea Change - Netflix Instant
Moonrise Kingdom - free admission
God Bless America - free admission
Prometheus 3D - free admission

Got together with my buddy Trevor to see the latest movie written & directed by Bobcat Golthwaite and starrin' Joel Murray.

Murray is Frank - divorced, recently unemployed and diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, he decides with nothin' more to lose, its time to clean up society since he views reality tv, news and other media as a sign that American civilization is in decline.

Aided in this is sixteen year old Roxie, who witnesses Frank's first murder and helps him see he's on the right track.

Several good monologues in the movie, and I totally agree with Frank's character - its time for some mean motherfuckers to die for the betterment of the world.

Got a plan to see Prometheus 3D this afternoon with my friend K/C. Lookin' forward to that one!

- edit, to add -

Well, I enjoyed it, and so did K/C. Nice use of 3D, too, especially durin' the scene with David on the Engineer bridge.

I'll be goin' to see it again, too, since I have other friends who want to check it out & I can get in for free.

Last edited by od0_ital; June 14 2012 at 02:50 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 02:27 AM   #704
CaptainCanada
Admiral

65. Damsels in Distress (B+)

Whit Stillman returns to the screen after a Malick-level hiatus (14 years since The Last Days of Disco), and the result is an aggressively quirky comedy about a group of snobby do-gooder college girls. I'm still unsure if this is an absurdist masterpiece in the A-range or a very solid B-range comedy that lacks a certain something necessary to rank higher. The pace never flags, at a minimum, which is a virtue in a comedy. Provisionally I'll call it a B+. It's headlined by Analeigh Tipton, who the IMDb tells me was a contestant on America's Next Top Model, but between this is and her lovely work in Crazy Stupid Love is carving out a niche playing endearingly awkward girls; and Greta Gerwig, in a performance of epic deadpanness. This is also the first time in a while I've seen Adam Brody in anything.

Cinema: 15 (+1)
Home Video: 43

- Homer Simpson
Old June 15 2012, 02:11 PM   #705
Agent Richard07
Admiral

173. Prometheus: (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - I thought the movie was visually stunning and good scifi overall. My high grade is for the enjoyment factor.

174. How to Make Love to a Woman: (✩✩✩✩) - Internet - A guy is having trouble bringing his girlfriend to orgasm and over the course of the movie, he ends up getting advice, both wanted and unwanted from friends, family and even strangers who overhear his conversations. The movie also gets a little serious towards the end as his trouble reveals other problems with their relationship. This independednt movie stars Josh Myers and one of my favorite raven-haired beauties Krysten Ritter. Also putting in appearances are Ian Somerhalder, Ken Jeong, Jenna Jameson and James Hong. I found it to be a pretty good sex comedy. It wasn't stupid and didn't bore me.

175. Good Dick: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A guy who works in a video store tries to meet and pursue a relationship with a young woman who rents porn there. It's an independent movie written by, directed by, and starring Marianna Palka. Palka's boyfriend Jason Ritter plays the guy. I thought it was very good. Very raw and real. I was fully engaged, wanting to see this relationship progress and hoping to get some insight or answers concerning this young woman's odd behavior. Once you see the movie, the title will make more sense. Also, there was a redhead who appeared for a few seconds in the video store. I thought she looked like Bryce Dallas Howard, and sure enough, it was her. Apparently she and Palka are friends.

Theatre: 9
DVD/Blu-Ray: 62
Live TV: 71
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 24
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote