Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 4 2012, 09:59 PM   #676
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman - free admission
Final Destination 3 - DVD
Piranha 3DD - free admission
The Final Destination - DVD
Final Destination 5 - DVD
Conan the Destroyer - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Stone Cold - Netflix Instant

Hangin' out at my friends' Angie & Ted's place for a couple of days, and they have Netflix!

Just finished watchin' the Conan sequel...not too bad, all things considered, but I wouldn't be in a rush to watch it again.

Been curious about the Jesse Stone series, since seein' some of the DVDs for cheap at Wal-Mart. Couldn't remember the title of the first after lookin' it up, and the guy at Blockbuster couldn't tell me. So, since Netflix has a few of 'em available, I looked 'em up on IMDB.com, and turns out, the first four movies in the series are available. So, I'm watchin' the first one right now.
Old June 4 2012, 11:37 PM   #677
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

24. Devil: A
25. Dark Shadows: C+
26. Men In Black 3: B-
27. Columbiana: B
28. Haywire: C
29. Snow White and the Huntsman: B-

A movie with a few issues but overall not as bad as I had hoped. Kristen Stewart is horribly miscast though. I wouldn't follow her or find her inspiring or "fair". She'd have made a great tavern wench in the film!
I liked the dwarves and Hemmsworth's Huntsman who's not given a name that I recall. The middle drags a bit due to poor set up imo but not a horrid film.

Wait for DVD, go see Avengers again.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 02:50 AM   #678
CaptainCanada
Admiral

59. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (B)

Famous 1980s teen comedy, but perhaps it suffers from having been talked up, because I really didn't think it was that impressive. It's not very quotable, and the characters are mostly muted (Jeff Spicoli is clearly pitched as the scene-stealing supporting character, and indeed does have a following, but I'm hard-pressed to see why, beyond the novelty value of looking back at a very different phase of Sean Penn's career). The most interesting thing about the movie is its handling of Jennifer Jason Leigh's abortion, which, though it almost weighs on the side of being a bit too flip, is far more direct than you would ever expect to see in a teen movie today (or back then).

Cinema: 14
Home Video: 39 (+1)
Computer: 6

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 03:11 PM   #679
Agent Richard07
Admiral

160. It's Complicated: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A divorced woman (Meryl Streep) with grown kids begins having an affair with a married man (Alec Baldwin) who also happens to be her ex husband, all the while keeping this a secret from the man she's dating (Steve Martin). The movie has been described as "rich white people's problems" because of the upper middle class Santa Barbara living and lack of dire conflict, but I quite enjoyed it as a mild romantic comedy with a bit of heart and depth.

161. The Note: (✩✩) - Internet - A plane crashes off the coast, killing everyone onboard. Following this, a small town newspaper writer revives her dwindling column by trying to find out which passenger wrote the note that washed up onshore. Meanwhile, she deals with a budding relationship with a co-worker. I got this movie because I wanted to see something with Genie Francis, Jonathan Frakes' wife. It was a chore to watch, but it got my attention in the last 20 minutes or so once things started coming together and a few twists and revelations popped up. The ending elevated this to two stars.

162. The Note II: Taking a Chance on Love: (✩✩) - DVD - This is the sequel to The Note. Genie Francis and most of the cast are back. This time our lead is apprehensive about marrying her co-worker. Another vanilla TV movie. It wasn't as hard to watch, but it's not much better than the first.

163. The Vow: (✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - A young couple are in a car accident and the wife (Rachel McAdams) loses her memory. A few years of her life to be more specific. The movie deals with hubby (Channing Tatum), who she has no memory of, trying to help her, while her parents and ex fiancé, who she hasn't seen in years, try to take advantage of her memory loss. I went in not expecting much because the plot reminded me of Adam Sandler's 50 First Dates, but this isn't the same movie and I found it to be pretty engaging with moments that genuinely upset me a little. I mean that in a good way. A good movie should reach you on some level. 4 stars may be a tad strong, but I didn't want to give it 3 and a half.

Theatre: 7
DVD/Blu-Ray: 58
Live TV: 66
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 24
Internet: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 03:12 PM   #680
Agent Richard07
Admiral

May Rundown (35 Movies)

5 Stars
None

4½ Stars
None

4 Stars
DOA: Dead or Alive - DVD
It's Complicated - DVD
The Way Back - DVD

3½ Stars
Chernobyl Diaries - Theatre
Hollywoodland - DVD
Men in Black 3 - Theatre
One Day - DVD
Puncture - On Demand
The Avengers - Theatre
The China Syndrome - Recorded TV
The Road - DVD
The Young Victoria - Live TV
Trapped - Live TV
Unstoppable - DVD
Women in Trouble - DVD

3 Stars
Anonymous - On Demand
Elektra Luxx - DVD
Justice League: Doom - On Demand
Leap Year - Live TV
Lemonade Mouth - Live TV
Red Riding Hood - DVD
The Hangover - Live TV
The Hangover Part II - On Demand
The Last Song - Live TV
The Runaways - Live TV
Whip It - Live TV

2½ Stars
Amelia - DVD
Duplicity - Live TV
Harry and the Hendersons - Live TV
Lymelife - DVD
Raising Helen - Live TV
Still Waiting... - DVD

2 Stars
One for the Money - On Demand
Waiting... - DVD
The Note - Internet

1½ Stars
None

1 Star
None

½ Star
None

0 Stars
None
Old June 5 2012, 09:35 PM   #681
nvek86
Commander

68. Appleseed (2004)

Quite a good film about a utopia where humans and biodroids (bio-robots) are living together after some devastating war. Of course, it can't really be utopia, otherwise there wouldn't be a film, so the plot is predictable, but the animation and the design of the world make up for it.
Old June 5 2012, 10:29 PM   #682
od0_ital
Admiral

Ralphie May: Austin-tatious - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Too Big to Ignore - Netflix Instant
Shark Night 3D - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Night Passage - Netflix Instant
Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell - Netflix Instant

Ralphie May has two stand up specials available on Netflix. Watched the one filmed at the Paramount Theater here in Austin last night, watchin' the second one now.

Dude makes me laugh, that's for sure...

- edit, to add -

Just finished Shark Night 3D via Netflix...it wasn't in 3D, but the 3D is in the title. And it was a crazy stupid movie about rednecks puttin' all kinds of different shark breeds into a salt water Louisiana lake to terrorize the college kids who come out on the weekends.

And there's a rap music video featurin' the cast of the movie after the credits!

Watchin' the second Jesse Stone movie, Night Passage, via Netflix Instant now.

- edit, again, to add -

Just finished Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell, a Q&A filmed at the Paramount here in Austin, where most of it was spent on Red State.

Last edited by od0_ital; June 6 2012 at 06:02 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 01:22 AM   #683
Agent Richard07
Admiral

164. Helen: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Ashley Judd plays a woman battling severe depression while her condition takes its toll on her husband and daughter. First half, good, last half, less so. Judd herself has battled depression, so I imagine that this is why she took the role. Goran Visnjic plays the husband. He's a big Stargate fan and this was shot in Vancouver, so it was nice to see him with one or two actors from that franchise like David Hewlett.

165. Snow White and the Huntsman: (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - I enjoyed seeing a somewhat grounded take on Snow White. I also liked Kristen Stewart and thought that Charlize Theron was good in places, but overacted a lot as well. More comments in the grading thread.

Theatre: 8
DVD/Blu-Ray: 58
Live TV: 67
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 24
Internet: 3
Old June 6 2012, 06:01 PM   #684
od0_ital
Admiral

Ralphie May: Austin-tatious - Netflix Instant
Ralphie May: Too Big to Ignore - Netflix Instant
Shark Night 3D - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Night Passage - Netflix Instant
Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise - Netflix Instant
Jesse Stone: Sea Change - Netflix Instant

Watchin' the third Jesse Stone movie via Netflix Instant. I like these movies. I may have to check out the books some time...

The fourth one is also on Netflix, but I don't think I'll hvave time to watch it before i leave today.

- edit, to add -

Well, since I am still here doin' laundry, I do have time to watch the fourth Jesse Stone movie via Netflix Instant.

Last edited by od0_ital; June 6 2012 at 07:28 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 06:47 PM   #685
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

26. Men In Black 3: B-
27. Columbiana: B
28. Haywire: C
29. Snow White and the Huntsman: B-
30. Meet the Parents: A-

Yep, I'm the guy that missed the boat on this film. When the first sequel hit I meant to watch it and then see this. Next thing I know the trilogy is over. I'm playing catch up and the next two are lined up in my Netflix queue.

The film lived up to all they hype even after this time. I laughed out loud several times and I must say the facial acting of despair, uncertainty and wtf as done by DeNiro and Teri Polo especially were great.

Hoping that Meet the Fockers is equally well done. I really don't recall the word of mouth on it or Little Fockers.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 07:32 PM   #686
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Meet the Fockers did well enough for 'em to make Little Fockers.

I've seen the first two, not in a rush for the third, though, since the whole series seems to want to make Ben Stiller's character as uncomfortable as possible, and then the audience is supposed to laugh.
Old June 7 2012, 08:26 PM   #687
nvek86
Commander

69. A Touch of Zen

The film, a martial arts film from the early 70s, starts quite well, well shot and very moody. But it gets lost in several storylines towards the end. I'm guessing the ending makes more sense if one is more acquainted with Buddhist beliefs/symbols...
Oh, and the subtitles were atrocious (most probably another reason why the ending didn't really make that much sense for me). I hope nobody got paid for them.
Old June 8 2012, 12:42 PM   #688
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Theatre/Cinema

13. Men in Black 3

I liked it more than the second film. 8/10.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 02:30 PM   #689
CaptainCanada
Admiral

60. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (A)

A pretty bold experiment, cinematically: there's little plot to speak of, and not much deep character work either, and it overwhelmingly depends on capturing a sense of wonder at the arrival of the aliens. Spielberg accomplishes this, fortunately. The movie feels unusually real in its casting; there are no supposedly average people with movie star looks, which is something you rarely see in a major Hollywood film.

Home Video: 40 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old June 9 2012, 03:40 AM   #690
CaptainCanada
Admiral

61. Field of Dreams (A+)

This wasn't really much like I imagined it would be, from what little I knew of it; I sort of thought the whole arrival of the ballplayers would be toward the end, but the movie dives right into that part of the story, and then goes from there. This has to be one of the oddest stories ever made into a major studio film, let alone a really popular one, but somehow it all works. And I think baseball is a dreadfully dull sport, so I'm not running off any kind of nostalgia. This is one of the best movies from Kevin Costner's golden years, and if he's not Daniel Day-Lewis, he can still do great work. James Earl Jones is the real star, though, even though it's about halfway through before he shows up. Amy Madigan is also excellent as Costner's wife, a role that's normally a stock part but which is actually very interestingly-written here.

Home Video: 41 (+1)

- Homer Simpson