Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Eve Faces Backlash For Jenner Comments

Frakes: Forget About Trek On TV

Worf Vinyl Bust Bank
By: T'Bonz on Apr 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 28 2012, 08:53 PM   #646
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

23. Mechanic: B
24. Devil: A
25. Dark Shadows: C+
26. Men In Black 3: B-
27. Columbiana: B

Zoe Saldana's movie about the 9yr old child of a Columbian drug leader who grows up in Chicago with her nearest "family". She trains to be an assassin and seeks revenge on those who killed her parents.

It's really better than I had thought going in to the film. Zoe convinces me here she's much more badass than the character she played in LOSERS.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 03:55 PM   #647
LitmusDragon
Commodore

18. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - C. I never quite bought into the villains in this movie ... Nazi rapists? Really?

19. The Avengers - A. Extremely entertaining super-hero film that does nearly everything right. If I had to pick one fault it would be in the design of the alien invaders, who looked fairly generic.

20. Super 8 - B. Fairly entertaining throwback-to-the-80s adventure movie does a good job balancing tension and humor. Good performances from the child actors.
Old May 29 2012, 05:33 PM   #648
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Last Days Here - free admission
The Three Stooges - free admission
The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter - DVD
The Avengers 3D - free admission
Damsels in Distress - free admission
Sound of My Voice - free admission
Yellow Submarine - free admission
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - free screenin'
The Skulls - DVD
Dark Shadows - free admission
The Skulls II - DVD
Sleepless Night - free admission
Conan the Barbarian (1981) - DVD
Battleship - free admission
The Skulls III - DVD
The Dictator - free admission
What to Expect When You're Expecting - free admission
Men in Black 3 3D - free screenin'
Chernobyl Diaries - free screenin'
Batman: Year One/Catwoman - DVD
The Batma vs Dracula - DVD
Seven Pounds - DVD
He's Just Not That Into You - DVD

Watched a couple of DVDs last night after work, both from the five dollar shelf at Target.

Seven Pounds was an interestin' movie, though I wish it had gotten to the point a bit quicker. And I gotta wonder what kind of sick mind makes a dog a vegetarian...

Followed that up with HJNTIY...my only excuse it Scarlett Johansson is in it.

I've got a pass to see Snow White and the Huntsman tonight, not sure yet if I'll go or not...
Old May 29 2012, 08:23 PM   #649
Harvey
Admiral

73. Burn After Reading (B+)
74. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (B+)
75. A Few Good Men (B)

Burn After Reading: This isn't the Coen Brothers' finest comedy, but I think it's rather underrated due the film being released after their major Academy Award wins for No Country For Old Men. Brad Pitt and George Clooney are both especially good, playing total idiots, and their...eventual meeting is the funniest moment in the film.

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo: I haven't read the books, nor seen the original films, but I gather they mostly suffer from the same problems that this version does. First, outside of her early scene where she profiles Daniel Craig's character, Lisbeth doesn't matter to the plot for the first 75 minutes of the movie. As a result, every time we cut away to her, it slows the movie down. Second, the ending goes on past where it needs to. We don't need to see Lisbeth steal money from Mikael's enemy -- except, of course, to set up the sequel. My only other gripe is that the villain explodes (in a rather unrealistic fireball, at odds with the film's sense of realism) near the end. The film (and the source material?) doesn't want to go through with Lisbeth committing a vengeful murder, so it gives her an easy out.

A Few Good Men: Great script, great cast, but meat and potatoes direction. People might view this mostly through the lens of Aaron Sorkin, but it's not hard to see the difference between a director like Rob Reiner and David Fincher (who directed Sorkin's script, The Social Network) when you compare the two films. Reiner has no sense of visual style, opting for the most bland approach possible. The score he let go through on the movie is equally unremarkable -- it's just about the same cue over and over again, with cheesy synthesizers from the early '90s making it worse. On top of that, Reiner never restrains his actors; he lets them take the words, and aim for the rafters. There's a great movie in here, but with Reiner at the helm, it has to settle for merely being a good one.

Theatres: 31
Home Video: 39 +3
Computer: 5

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 09:40 PM   #650
nvek86
Commander

65. Moonrise Kingdom

Wes Anderson's newest film and watching it, one can't deny the director's style. I liked it a lot.
Old May 30 2012, 03:12 AM   #651
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I saw the preview for it at Retro Summer Cinema where it played in front of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Looked interesting I admit but I'll wait for DVD.
Old May 30 2012, 09:27 AM   #652
Harvey
Admiral

76. Jiro Dreams of Sushi (A)

Jiro Dreams of Sushi: Make no mistake, this might be a documentary about a sushi chef, but this isn't a travel channel program masquerading as a theatrical feature. It's very well shot, edited, scored (mostly with Philip Glass) and centers on a surprisingly compelling character. It might be one of my ten favorite films of the year -- and it is only May.

Theatres: 32 +1
Home Video: 39
Computer: 5

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 03:51 PM   #653
Agent Richard07
Admiral

157. The China Syndrome: (✩✩✩½) - Recorded TV - News reporters are at a Southern California nuclear power plant doing a news piece when something goes wrong and a catastrophe is averted. What ensues however is a media investigation into unsafe practices and a conspiracy to cover it all up. Jane Fonda, Jack Lemon, Michael Douglas and Wilford Brimley star. The title refers to a situation where the core melts through the containment, into the ground and sinks all the way to China. Basically a nuclear meltdown with a bit of added hyperbole. I liked the little bits on how nuclear power plants work and I found the film in general to be an engaging 1979 thriller, but somehow, I'm left wishing more had happened.

158. Men in Black 3: (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - My review is here. I found it entertaining and it had a bit of heart. Tommy Lee Jones' role is limited, but I didn't miss him. Josh Brolin filled the spot nicely. His impression of TLJ was fun to watch. The guy can act.

159. The Way Back: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A group of prisoners escape from a Siberian concentration camp and make their way to India on foot through snow, rocky plains and desert. It was quite a journey. Stars Ed Harris and Colin Farrell. The subtitles we got in the beginning annoyed me, but they went away and the rest was pretty good. I got this one after seeing nvek86's post.

Theatre: 7
DVD/Blu-Ray: 56
Live TV: 66
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 23
Internet: 2
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 04:15 PM   #654
od0_ital
Admiral

The Skulls - DVD
The Skulls II - DVD
The Skulls III - DVD
Seven Pounds - DVD
Final Destination - DVD

Watched the first FD movie last night, and I gotta say, Ali Larter's Clear makes the least sense out of just about any movie character ever.

Clear has a photo of her & her dad from when she was little, dated 1986, yet she's still just a high school senior in 2000. Her father is dead, and her mother remarried & gone, obviously doesn't care about her, either, since she wasn't at the airport after the plane exploded OR at the memorial service. Yet Clear lives in a two story house in suburbia and has a car, plus access to a lakeside cabin. And she had money to buy a plane ticket to Paris, twice! Seriously, what the hell?!? And don't say it was her father's insurance payout - dude was a smoker, no way a company gave a huge check to anyone for his death.

Ah, well...at least Tony Todd was suitably creepy for his scene as the mortician.
Old May 30 2012, 04:35 PM   #655
CaptainCanada
Admiral

55. Amadeus (A+)

Watching this movie is like listening to a good piece of Mozart's own music: experiencing art operating at its maximum potential. This is one of my top fen favourite films, this being the first time in a year or two that I've watched it. Every aspect of the production is pretty much perfect.

It's a shame, looking back, how comparatively little the main cast did after this. F. Murray Abraham was brilliant as Salieri (one of the best screen performances ever), but with his looks perhaps it isn't surprising that Hollywood never figured out what to do with him (and he became one of the most talented actors ever to have their talents completely wasted by Star Trek). Tom Hulce has largely kept to the stage, though very successfully. I also, on this rewatched, recognized that one of the pompous court functionaries is also a pompous court functionary in Kenneth Branagh's Henry V, another of my top ten films. The most successful member of the cast turned out to be Cynthia Nixon, who has a minor role here as Salieri's spy.

And the greatest irony of all is that the movie led to a huge revival of interest in the music and person of Antonio Salieri.

Cinema: 12
Home Video: 37 (+1)
Computer: 6

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 09:36 PM   #656
nvek86
Commander

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^
I saw the preview for it at Retro Summer Cinema where it played in front of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Looked interesting I admit but I'll wait for DVD.
As I wrote, Anderson really has his own style and I can understand if someone doesn't like it. So, if you liked his previous films, you'll probably like this one too, if you didn't this one isn't really different enough to change your opinion.
Old May 31 2012, 04:22 AM   #657
CaptainCanada
Admiral

56. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (B)

I got this in a three-pack some months ago with Rocky and Hoosiers, and decided I might as well rewatch it (I saw in theatres when it came out, which was scarily close to a decade ago). I had fond memories of seeing this with a group of friends, and it's still a pleasant movie, and one of the better "Frat Pack" films (their creative peak was from about 2003-2005, I think). It's far from a perfect comedy, for reasons that become more apparent on rewatch.

The main issue is Vince Vaughn, who's a bit less of a fast talker than usual - his character is, by design, ineffectual and largely uninvested in what's going on around him. While this is meant to be a character arc, it means he's just kind of there. He's totally overpowered by Ben Stiller, who pretty much steals the movie with one of his funniest performances as the villain. Christine Taylor, his wife, is likeable, if also just kind of there, as Vaughn's notional love interest (if she actually had been a lesbian at the end, would much really have changed?).

The strengths, apart from Stiller, are it's surprisingly quotable screenplay (a number of lines from it have become fairly common, and many others that aren't are nonetheless quite funny), and a number of very funny supporting performances and cameos (Lance Armstrong's appearance is a deadpan masterpiece; the movie also can take some credit for mainstreaming the Chuck Norris meme; William Shatner's appearance is oddly listless, though). Though some of these characters are misses that feel like they should either have been refined more or discarded (Alan Tudyk, most notably).

Cinema: 12
Home Video: 38 (+1)
Computer: 6

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 06:26 AM   #658
od0_ital
Admiral

The Skulls - DVD
The Skulls II - DVD
The Skulls III - DVD
Seven Pounds - DVD
Final Destination - DVD
The Black Six (1973) - free admission
Final Destination 2 - DVD

Got off from work tonight & came into downtown to see The Black Six at the Ritz. It was this week's Weird Wednesday movie, since its a mashup of blacksplotation and biker movies.

If ya don't know, its about a six-man biker gang, played by guys from the NFL (their teams are listed under their names in the openin' credits), who go up against a redneck biker gang when the black gang's leader's younger brother is killed by the redneck's leader.

Awkward dialogue, bad fight sequences, and an ambiguous endin' that can't decide if the Black Six were killed or not, plus skips and pops, and one scene was even repeated (it was like a rerun!).

Still, free movie! And my Dr Pepper got comp'ed, too.

- edit, to add -

The 150th "new to me" movie of the year was Final Destination 2.

And again, my big issues are with Ali Larter's Clear, who returns from the first movie as the final survivor (Alex's fate is shown in a newspaper article). She's checked herself into a mental institution to hide from death. And there's a long list of stuff that can't be taken into her room. ...Apparently peroxide isn't on the list, since she went from brunette in the first movie to blonde in this one. And she has newspaper clippings....did she cut 'em herself? How? She won't allow sharp objects in the room. Someone cut 'em for her...okay. She's not afraid of dyin' from a papercut? And how many mental institutions give control to open & close the door to the patient on the inside? If she's a special case, who paid for the renovation that also included a security camera at the door & monitor in her room? A monitor that could explode and kill her!!!!

Last edited by od0_ital; May 31 2012 at 05:02 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 09:01 AM   #659
od0_ital
Admiral

Snow White and the Huntsman - free admission

And the first new movie of June is SWATH!

And dear god, that movie dragged ass for two hours of my life I'll never get back...

They couldn't even get real dwarves, for cryin' out loud! Mirror, Mirror had real dwarves, why couldn't this movie find any?

Saw MiB3 3D again with my friend Maeby before the midnight screenin'. I was watchin' Final Destination 3 at a coffeeshop yesterday, but open mic night started midway through the movie, and I had to turn it off. I'll add it to the list when I finish it later today or tomorrow...
Old June 1 2012, 12:50 PM   #660
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I promised to see this tomorrow with a friend, she loves the Snow White tale overall but didn't fall for the Julia Roberts one earlier this year. She's an action fan and is actually stoked for this and I admit it looks good from the trailers.

Can you suggest a letter grade for SWATH?