TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 16 2012, 09:33 PM   #601
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Last Days Here - free admission
The Three Stooges - free admission
The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter - DVD
The Avengers 3D - free admission
Damsels in Distress - free admission
Sound of My Voice - free admission
Yellow Submarine - free admission
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - free screenin'
The Skulls - DVD
Dark Shadows - free admission
The Skulls II - DVD

Got together with my friend Maeby this afternoon to see the latest from Tim Burton & Johnny Depp.

I wasn't too impressed, to be honest, though it wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. Maeby said she had hoped for a few more laughs, and I can agree with that. Or, at least, a few smarter jokes...

Not familiar at all with the source material, and this movie doesn't make me want to go lookin' for it.

Started watchin' the first sequel to The Skulls the other day, but haven't finished it yet, and I have a plan to see Battleship tomorrow at midnight.

- edit, to add -

Finished The Skulls II tonight. Similiar story to the first one - dude gets tapped to be a member of a secret society only to wind up tryin' to expose a murder in the society's clubhouse.

And I had the same issues with the sequel as I did the first one - the brandin' of the wrists, the fancy cars, and how everyone seems to know who they are even though its supposed to be kept quiet.

Last edited by od0_ital; May 17 2012 at 07:16 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 04:03 AM   #602
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Saw the Dictator yesterday......

... 'not as good as his earlier works'
Old May 17 2012, 09:36 PM   #603
Harvey
Admiral

67. Into the Abyss (B)

Into the Abyss: Werner Herzog's documentary about the effects of a triple homicide in Texas isn't his finest work, but it's certainly emotionally affecting. Perhaps most chilling are the lengthy sequences that linger on the remnants of the crime, such as the car that motivated the killing, now sitting in a police owned lot with plants growing in and around it, totally forgotten. One can't help get the feeling, though, that someone like Errol Morris would have been able to zero in on the more interesting figures in this film and made a more focused work. Instead, what we get is pretty sprawling, but always interesting.

(It should be pointed out that this isn't, as some critics identified it, a film about capital punishment, or about establishing innocence or guilt. This is a film about the effects of crime.)

Theatres: 28
Home Video: 35 +1
Computer: 4

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 09:50 PM   #604
nvek86
Commander

62. El Cid

Quite an ambitious film made all the more impressive because of the time it was made in (they did throw a lot of money on these epics back then and it shows - most of it still holds up today). It sometimes seemed that they wanted to do too much (there are some cuts/time skips I found strange), but I liked this a lot more than Heston's other epic Ben Hur.
Old May 18 2012, 08:58 AM   #605
od0_ital
Admiral

The Skulls - DVD
The Skulls II - DVD
Sleepless Night - free admission
Conan the Barbarian (1981) - DVD
Battleship - free admission

Three new movies for me today!

First up, Sleepless Night, a French action film about a corrupt-ish cop caught up in a drug deal gone wrong, and he has to rescue his kidnapped son from the drug dealers. Pretty good movie, all things considered...and I was far too amused that the illegal immigrant workin' in the kitchen didn't speak French, but did speak english.

Followed that up with a GDN viewin' of Ahnuld in the first Conan movie. Yes, we made fun of it while we watched, but still the first time I've seen it, and, thankfully, the hosts turned on the subtitles.

And then I went to see Battleship at midnight. It was a stupid fun movie, very much wishin' it could be Transformers. I was one of only a dozen-ish folks in the theater, and at least one other person there was an employee, too, which is pretty bad considerin' midnight screenings for The Hunger Games and The Avengers sold out the buildin', but this couldn't even fill a theater.
Old May 19 2012, 04:44 AM   #606
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
Daybreakers (5)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 48
Old May 19 2012, 01:42 PM   #607
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

16. Cabin In the Woods: B+
17. The Rum Diary: C
18. The Eagle: C+
19. The Avengers: A+
20. The Adjustment Bureau: A
21. Sucker Punch: B-
22. Knight & Day: C+

Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz spy "thriller" about a potential weapon being sought after by several parties. June (Diaz) gets caught up in this tug of war of espionage as the "normal person" however her character is rather "blonde" and therefore I had trouble taking her serious. Not unlike real life dimwit blondes.
Super Spy Roy (Cruise) is played so aloof that like June you are perhaps trying to figure out if he is who says. However, this guessing game which I'd wager was meant to add some excitement to the film comes off as instead.

Some good action moments and the ending is about exactly what you'd think so all the is he/isn't he who he says is pointless.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 04:48 AM   #608
CaptainCanada
Admiral

51. The Incredible Hulk (B)

Wow, that's the longest I've gone without a movie in a good while. Blame all the TV and book-reading.

Anyway, in light of the success of The Avengers, I decided to at last revisit what now feels like the orphan of the Marvel Studios films, its reboot of The Incredible Hulk. My opinion of it pretty much what I remember thinking about it the first time around: it's a competent action movie (Marvel Studos' output, apart from Iron Man 2, always gets the basics right), with some decent character touches, but nothing exceptional. Norton is good as Bruce; Liv Tyler as Betty I actually like a lot, and she and Norton have some fun scenes together. William Hurt's Ross is a distinct downgrade from the more interesting character in Ang Lee's earlier film. Go-to villain Tim Roth is okay.

Oh, and Phil Dunphy is Leonard Samson, which is really funny in retrospect.

I'm watching this on Blu-ray, and the movie has some interesting deleted scenes. In particular, there's one with a General Ross monologue that I think really should have been in the film.

Cinema: 12
Home Video: 33 (+1)
Computer: 6

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 06:11 AM   #609
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

1) The Artist (2011) - A+
2) Midnight in Paris (2011) - B
3) Tree of Life (2011) - F
4) The Descendants (2011) - B
5) Drive (2011) - B
6) Hanna (2011) - C
7) Take Shelter (2011) - A-
8) 50/50 (2011) - B
9) Baby Mama (2008) - B-
10) United 93 (2006)
11) Rango (2011) - B
12) The Hunger Games (2012) - B+
13) 21 Jump Street (2012) - B+
14) Goon (2012) - A-
15) The Avengers (2012) - B
16) Cars 2 (2011) - C+

Why do I get the feeling this movie was pretty much Dead on Arrival when it came out. I mean it was a sequel to Pixar's critically worst film (Coming from general consensus) but it's still making a lot of money in merchandising, which continues to surprise me to no end. Well, I hesitated seeing this movie in the theaters because of the bad reviews (And simply just never got around to it) but it's still a Pixar film, I love Pixar films, I really enjoyed the original Cars (Which probably puts me in a minority) and I wanted to give this one a shot.

Suffice it to say I was pleasantly surprised. It had all the aspects that I liked from the first movie, there were some fun lines, and the plots were at least interesting. The theme of friendship took center stage in this movie, unlike the last one where the theme was it's about the journey, not about how you finish. It was pretty much what I expected from a Cars movie.

However, this isn't top notch quality of Pixar, and I think when it comes down to it, that's the main problem everyone had with this movie. This was Mater's movie, and I can only take Larry the Cable Guy in small doses so I felt he was pretty much annoying throughout. Also, the whole Grand Prix plot should have had some kind of conclusion, but we really didn't see any, which was slightly annoying. Despite that though, it was a decent movie (Again, not up to Pixar's standards) and I'm glad I ended up seeing it.

Theater: 5
BluRay: 5 (+1)
On Demand/TV: 1
Itunes: 5

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 04:04 PM   #610
od0_ital
Admiral

The Skulls - DVD
The Skulls II - DVD
The Skulls III - DVD

Finished up The Skulls trilogy last night!

The third one was a bit different, in that it dealt with a woman tryin' to get into the secret society and then bein' framed for murder, instead of a white guy joinin' the society & witnessin' a murder.

Claire Kramer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Barry Bostwick (Spin City) starred in it, so at least I recognized folks in the cast, unlike the second movie in the series.

Not sure what I'll be watchin' next...though I do have passes to screenings of Men in Black 3 and Chernobyl Diaries this week.
Old May 20 2012, 06:12 PM   #611
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Intouchables ★★★★
I finally went to movies again last night! I saw a French movie called Intouchables.

A rich quadriplegic, living in a mansion in Paris, requires a live-in carer. A young offender turns up for an interview, but he is not really looking to get the job. However, to his surprise, he is hired. The two men then develop a close friendship. [IMDb]

I was a bit reluctant about seeing this movie to be honest. I expected it to be quite melodramatic and sappy. It wasn't.

I haven't laughed this much during a movie in ages. Omar Sy is a very talented comedian and Francois Cluzet is wonderful as Philippe, the rich quadriplegic. They're a great team.

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 08:53 PM   #612
nvek86
Commander

63. The Way Back

This film is the story of several men who escaped from their prison in Siberia and walked all the way to India. There's some controversy wether this actually happened or not (it probably didn't), but the film itself is very good. It's wonderfully shot and the director also manages to show some lighter moments without ever letting you forget how dire the situation of the escapees really is.
Old May 21 2012, 03:54 PM   #613
Agent Richard07
Retired

142. Lemonade Mouth: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Five high school kids come together by chance and end up forming a successful band. Nothing extraordinary or deep, but not bad for a Disney Channel movie, and Christopher McDonald is always good.

143. Justice League: Doom: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - Vandal Savage uses info hacked from the batcave to bring down the Justice League. A good outing, but not as good as other DC movies I've seen lately.

144. One for the Money: (✩✩) - On Demand - Katherine Heigl stars as a young woman who gets fired from Macy's and takes up work as a bounty hunter. I love Heigl, but this one wasn't very good. It felt like a poorly done failed TV pilot. I can't remember the last time I regretted paying money to see a movie.

145. One Day: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - The story of a couple, that takes place on July 15th of every year from 1987 to the present. Stars Anne Hathaway. I thought this was pretty good. I enjoyed seeing where the characters were as the various years went by and I liked Hathaway's work. I even got over her British accent. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it wasn't your formulaic rom-com either.

146. Red Riding Hood: (✩✩✩) - DVD - A take on Little Red Riding Hood. Stars Amanda Seyfried. The village in winter is visually stunning, the story will keep you engaged and you'll get used to Gary Oldman's performance. He's considered a good actor, and he is, but he's also too easy to pick out even when he tries to alter his appearance and immerse himself into his characters.

147. Hollywoodland: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - The story of a private dick who's trying to find out the truth behind George Reeves' death. Was it murder? Or did he kill himself? The story is also interspersed with flashbacks to Reeves' career as Superman. Stars Adrian Brody and Ben Affleck. Brody was pretty charismatic and it was nice to see Affleck as Superman. The movie also did a good job of making the parts shot in Toronto look like L.A.

148. Whip It: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A tomboyish girl, who's under pressure from her mother to be a debutant, sneaks out and joins a roller derby. Stars Ellen Page and directed by Drew Barrymore. It was a pretty good watch.

149. The Young Victoria: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - The story of Queen Victoria, who's seen as too young and inexperienced to lead and finds herself under pressure to take on a regent who will run things on her behalf. Stars Emily Blunt, who plays the queen with class. The movie both dragged and felt a bit rushed, but Blunt managed to kick it up a notch.

150. Trapped: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Kidnappers take a rich couple's young girl and hold her until the parents pay up. This one does get a little crazy towards the middle, but otherwise, it's actually a pretty good thriller. It also has a pretty big cast with Charlize Theron and her then real-life boyfriend Stuart Townsend as her husband, along with Dakota Fanning as the kid, and Kevin Bacon and Courtney Love as the kidnappers. I don't know why I never heard of this movie until now.

151. DOA: Dead or Alive: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Four girls with different fighting styles compete for money on an island. Thrown in are a few side stories and an evil plot by Eric Roberts. Surprisingly, this is my first 4-star movie of the month. It's not what most people would call a good movie, but when it comes to colorful style & sensationalism, exotic locales, hot chicks, wire fu and fun, this one delivers big time. It starts and never drags. It's brain candy and I enjoyed it as such.

Theatre: 5
DVD/Blu-Ray: 53
Live TV: 64
Recorded TV: 4
On Demand: 23
Internet: 2
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 08:29 PM   #614
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

19. The Avengers: A+
20. The Adjustment Bureau: A
21. Sucker Punch: B-
22. Knight & Day: C+
23. Mechanic: B

Jason Statham stars as Bishop, a hitman who works exclusively for a "company" that manages these type assignments. It's an effective and competent enough action film. Statham doing what he does best and showing why he's one of the go to guys for action the past 10 years.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 12:49 AM   #615
od0_ital
Admiral

The Skulls - DVD
The Skulls II - DVD
The Skulls III - DVD
The Dictator - free admission
What to Expect When You're Expecting - free admission

Too much time to kill today, so I got into two movies for free.

First up, The Dictator...not a very good movie. Yes, I admit, I laughed at a couple of the jokes, but overall it was pretty awful. And I can't help but think that if the helicopter scene had been shot guerilla style with real people instead of actors, Sacha Baron Cohen would have been killed.

Followed that up with What to Expect When You're Expecting...which just made me glad I've never gotten a girl pregnant. Also, the poster of an actress from the movie bein' pregnant is misleadin' as hell. But, whatever...Dennis Quaid was fun in it, and Chris Rock only told one of his standup jokes, watered down as it was.

Got a pass to see MiB3 Wednesday night! Can't wait!