Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 14 2012, 02:56 AM   #496
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

109. Bedazzled: (✩✩✩✩) - TV - I only found out about this movie today and saw it this evening. It's the 1967 movie that the 2000 version with Liz Hurley is based on. It stars Dudley Moore with Peter Cook as the devil. It had some great stuff that makes you think, Moore and Cook played their roles to perfection and it was funny with a bit of an english feel thrown in.

Theatre: 4
DVD/Blu-Ray: 36
TV: 52
On Demand: 16
Internet: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 04:13 AM   #497
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

12. Act of Valor: C+
13. John Carter: B
14. Hunger Games: B+
15. Wrath of the Titans: C
16. Cabin In the Woods: B+

Really enjoyed it and felt like it did a good job of taking the horror tropes and cliches and doing something fun with them. I liked the surprise(to me) cameo of who was playing "The Director" at the end of the film. Speaking of the end it leaves you feeling as if [SPOILER="The ending"] The Apocolypse is on the verge of unfolding. The Ancient gods rising, seemingly, due to not getting the ages old sacrifices of blood by the 5./SPOILER]
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 06:27 AM   #498
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
47 Ronin (7)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
Daybreakers (5)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Last edited by zakkrusz; April 15 2012 at 03:20 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 07:34 AM   #499
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1) The Artist (2011) - A+
2) Midnight in Paris (2011) - B
3) Tree of Life (2011) - F
4) The Descendants (2011) - B
5) Drive (2011) - B
6) Hanna (2011) - C
7) Take Shelter (2011) - A-
8) 50/50 (2011) - B
9) Baby Mama (2008) - B-
10) United 93 (2006)
11) Rango (2011) - B
12) The Hunger Games (2012) - B+
13) 21 Jump Street (2012) - B+
14) Goon (2012) - A-

I've been wanting to see this movie for like 2 months. I heard about it on a Hockey podcast I listen to (Marek Vs. Wyshynski, awesome show) and the word of mouth was such where I had to find a way to see this movie. Well, thank you Itunes because it's not showing up in theaters near me but I can download it for 6.99, so I did and it was worth it.

This movie is basically about a guy named Doug (Sean Williams Scott, who was great here and I realized I really wasn't watching Stifler) who has a gift for fighting but really hasn't made anything out of his life as a bouncer. Well, one night he goes to a hockey game with his friend, get's into an argument with a player who hops over the Penalty Box and Knocks the guy out, thus joining the team.

After that, the movie is really life as a goon. This is a very vulger and nasty movie, but it's also a heartwarming one in that Doug is a great guy off the ice, but on he is one nasty SOB. I loved this cast, especially Alison Pill who played Eva, the love interest and the great narrerator of 24/7: Road to the Winter Classic, Liev Schreiber as the ultimate goon, Ross Rhea.

As a fan of Hockey and sports movies, this one was top notch. I think if I had one problem with it, it was Jay Baruchel who I thought was the weak link of the movie. Also they could have done a little more with the family, which seemed like a dropped story line after the scene in the restaurant. Other than that, I enjoyed it and if you're a hockey fan, or even if you aren't but like the Judd Apatow style comedy, I would definitely recommend this movie.

Theatre: 4
BluRay: 4
On Demand/TV: 1
Itunes: 5 (+1)
Old April 14 2012, 09:48 PM   #500
stj
Rear Admiral

Cabin in the Woods was very clever indeed. But I think the apocalyptic ending was a big mistake. I think the shout out about the resentment of the young as the motive would have carried some weight if the shenanigans hadn't really been about saving the world, but just entertaining old people, even old people who had deceived themselves. It's really something of a whoopy cushion joke instead of an honest ending.
Old April 14 2012, 10:45 PM   #501
nvek86
Commander

51. Boy A

A very moving tragedy (in the truest sense; you can understand the actions of pretty much everyone involved and it leads to only one ending) about a young man who committed a murder as a boy, spends several years in prison and when he is released truly tries to change his life.
While he's trying to adapt to his new life, the film also shows flashbacks to his childhood which offers a good contrast to what's happening in the present.
Old April 15 2012, 01:40 AM   #502
CaptainCanada
Admiral

44. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (A)

Revisiting another film I haven't seen in almost a decade. I didn't really remember all that much about this other than the general premise and that I liked it, but it really is a lovely romance (in my head I remember it as being a romantic comedy, but it isn't). Jim Carrey delivers one of his best performances, and Kate Winslet is in top form. Elijah Wood plays against type as a douchebag. The thing that struck me the most seeing it again after all those years was Kirsten Dunst's supporting turn, which is wonderful.

Cinema: 10
Home Video: 29 (+1)
Computer: 5

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 01:43 AM   #503
Harvey
Admiral

54. My Darling Clementine (C+)

My Darling Clementine: Henry Fonda is an unusual choice for the role of Wyatt Earp, but he ends up being one of the best actors in the film (Walter Brennan and Ward Bond are also good in minor roles). Unfortunately, Victor Mature fails to leave much of an impression in the role of Doc Holliday. With his big build, he has a hard time expressing the characters physical weakness, besides constantly coughing into his handkerchief.

With the exception of some obvious re-shoots done against director John Ford's wishes, the film looks fantastic, with beautiful black and white photography that's almost expressionistic in places. Of course, the proceedings bear little resemblance to history. The portrayals of the Earps and the Clantons are way off, as is the famous gunfight (as in most movie versions, it takes place at the OK Corral here, too).

Where the movie runs into problems is the structure; highly episodic, it never can figure out what it wants to be about. If, as the title implies, Clementine is an important figure, the fact that she doesn't appear until about 40 minutes in and is locked in her room (off screen) for the last 30 minutes don't do her character any favors. If, as the set up sequence implies, the movie is about the Earps getting revenge for the death of their youngest brother, they seem to forget the murder for an awfully long time. Other versions have stressed the friendship between Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp, but here their relationship is almost antagonistic, and Holliday remains an enigmatic figure whose ultimate death doesn't carry much weight.

Actually, the whole gunfight at the end is a bit of an anticlimax, lacking the sudden burst of violence that it was in history, or the smartly plotted gunplay in, say, The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

Theatres: 21 +1
Home Video: 30
Computer: 3

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 02:18 AM   #504
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The title of your movie humorously coincides with mine.

- Homer Simpson
Old April 15 2012, 02:49 AM   #505
Harvey
Admiral

Ha. I didn't even notice until now.

Old April 15 2012, 03:09 AM   #506
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Wrath of the Titans 3D - free admission
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - free admission
The Raid: Redemption - free admission
The Incredible Hulk Returns - DVD
Titanic 3D - free admission
The Hunger Games - free admission
Mirror, Mirror - free admission
American Reunion - free admission
Justice League: Doom - DVD
W. - DVD
Night of the Running Man - Netflix Instant
The Trial of the Incredible Hulk - DVD
The Hunter - free admission
An Education - DVD
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two - DVD
The Prophecy - DVD
Them Idiots Whirled Tour - DVD
The Prophecy II - DVD
Cabin in the Woods - free admission
Juan of the Dead - free admission

Them Idiots is basically the new "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" without Ron White. Filmed in Pittsburgh, Bill Engvall opens the show, followed by Jeff Foxworthy & then Larry the Cable Guy, with the three of 'em on stage at the end with the show's "host", a very NOT FUNNY guy who's name I don't remember.

Kinda miss Ron White, but Bill Engvall is always funny in stand up form, and Jeff Foxworthy was pretty good this time out, too.

Prophecy II is worth watchin' for Christopher Walken. The story is kinda silly, and ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, but I'm guessin' it gets resolved in the next movie...

CitW was really good. Got together with some friends to see it, and Joss Whedon's fingerprints are all over this thing, from dialogue, to sets, to castin'...and its awesome. Yes, a little too much is given away in the trailer, but some of the best bits are kept under wraps. Well worth checkin' out, and I'll be seein' it again soon.

In line now for Juan of the Dead, a Mexican-language zombie movie. Hope it doesn't suck!

In other, movie-related news, I stopped off to browse a used DVD store, Buy Backs, after dinner, and found the five-disc Mission: Impossible box set with the first three movies (one disc for MI, two for MI2 & two for MI3) for $0.99. Thinkin' the price was a misprint, I snatched it up, and turns out, that was the actual price! Got the first three Mission: Impossible movies for $1.07! I've seen all three, of course, but still, a good purchase...
Old April 15 2012, 10:08 PM   #507
CaptainCanada
Admiral

45. A Streetcar Named Desire (A)

Feels a little histrionic in places, but it remains a powerful story (another "four characters and limited locations" play, like Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?) with great performances. It's weird to look at Brando's contemptible character and imagine this made him a sex symbol, but there you go. I'd have to disagree with Elia Kazan though; the four minutes in the restored version add a lot to it.

Home Video: 30 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old April 17 2012, 08:18 AM   #508
Harvey
Admiral

55. Freakonomics (C+)
56 Sound of My Voice (A-)

Freakonomics: The problem with this documentary is that it is impossible to offer the substance of the book (such as it is) in 90 minutes. Consisting of four chapters (plus bridging segments), there's not even enough time to put the book's arguments on screen, let alone cover new ground. Even the final segment -- which covers a study of the use of financial incentives to improve grades in high school (not in the book) -- doesn't have enough time to accomplish much before it's over.

It's a shame the movie is so mediocre. Not only is the movie well budgeted, but the talent involved (Heidi Ewing, Alex Gibney, Seth Gordon, Rachel Grady, Eugene Jarecki, and Morgan Spurlock) is essentially a whose who of the documentary filmmaking world. The movie entertains, but is hardly essential, especially if you've read the book.

Sound of My Voice: This is a fantastic micro-budget film that may or may not be science fiction, depending on how you read certain scenes (the audience was polled after the screening; they seemed split on the issue). It pertains a couple who join a cult in order to make a documentary exposing it. At the center of the cult is a women who claims to be from the year 2054, played wonderfully by Brit Marling (who co-wrote and produced, as she did on Another Earth). Is she from the future? The film has no clear-cut answers (and presents many dangling pieces of information without and kind of pandering explanation), but it's surprisingly satisfying.

It enters limited release in ten days and is worth seeing if you're interested in personal, low budget sf(?) cinema.

Theatres: 22 +1
Home Video: 30
Computer: 4 +1

Old April 17 2012, 04:10 PM   #509
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Sounds good, and I liked Another Earth, so I'll check it out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 06:45 PM   #510
CaptainCanada
Admiral

46. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (A)

Ang Lee is arguably the most versatile of the major directors currently working - one film of his very rarely looks much like his next one. This wuxia film combines some of the best and most fluid action to be had with a much more developed story than is normally the case; an intelligent, poetic action movie. Chow Yun-Fat is fine, if unexceptional, as the male lead (the role mostly just requires him to be stoic). The real fireworks are from Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi, who are both superb (particularly Zhang, who was really prominent in the first half of the 2000s but hasn't really done anything of note in a while).

My run of great movies continues (ironically, the last that didn't meet that standard was another wuxia with Zhang Ziyi, Hero). The next film I'll be rewatching I consider one of my Top 10, so that'll continue a while longer.

Home Video: 31 (+1)

- Homer Simpson