Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 5 2012, 08:35 PM   #31
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

First Movie at the cinema this year. Went to see the premiere of "The Great Magician".
Old January 5 2012, 11:19 PM   #32
nvek86
Commander

1. Eastern Promises

The film is already a few years old, but since the genre doesn't really interest me, I've never watched it until now. But it was on TV yesterday, there was nothing else that interested me, so I stuck with it.
I'm glad I did, because I liked the film quite a lot. Mortensen was great (especially liked his interactions with Cassel's character) and there was one twist I did not expect.
nvek86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 03:48 AM   #33
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

1. The Kids Are Alright (B-)
2. Priest (B-)
Watched this totally predictable movie last night.Sort of like The Searchers meets The Matrix meets the current vampire craze, only without being anywhere near as good as either of the films mentioned. I'd give it a C- for story and a B+ for CGI/special effects...so it ends with a B-. Carl Urban also gives it a bit of a bump, just for being present.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 06:40 AM   #34
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Bad Boys (8)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)

Last edited by zakkrusz; January 6 2012 at 06:51 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 09:00 AM   #35
Harvey
Admiral

1. Holy Rollers (B-)
2. The Kids Are All Right (B)

People have complained about the ending, but it all seemed a perfectly logical development to me. A wonderful cast was assembled for this movie -- Annette Bening and Julianne Moore have been singled out, but everyone else has a great scene or two -- and the script is sharply funny. Stylistically, it's more or less just there, but it gets the job done (the exception is the wonderful sound design that plays out during the sequence when Bening finds out a painful secret). I'm not sure how it will work as a TV series (they've ordered a pilot adapted from the movie), but the movie is surely satisfying.

Theatres: 0
Home Video: 1 (+1)
Computer: 1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 12:50 PM   #36
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

1. Marie Antoinette (2006) - 2.5/5.

Found it rather slow and boring early on. But adored Kirsten Dunst. She was a delight.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 12:52 PM   #37
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (B-)

Enjoyable, but I liked the first one better. I really liked that Downey/Law got to play with a little more humor this time around, though I thought the ramp-up in action was a little unnecessary. As for the new supports of Jared Harris and Noomi Rapace, both were very good. I enjoyed Jared Harris a lot more than I thought I would.
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 05:18 PM   #38
stj
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
This goes to the scriptwriter, who of course did not have his name repeated enough for me to remember.
The writer was Scott Z. Burns, who also wrote the criminally underrated The Informant! for Soderbergh.

As near as I can remember this has no resemblance to any of Soderbergh's previous works, illustrating the relative unimportance of the director.
The film closely resembles Soderbergh's Traffic, something pointed out by countless film critics when the film was released. Of course, whether or not the film resembles any previous ones he's made has little to do with Soderbergh's importance as the director (it's worth noting that, like most films he's made, Soderbergh is also the credited cinematographer on the movie). In this particular case, the director was quite important, since the film was re-structured several times during editing (resulting in the reduction of Marion Cotillard's role, among many other changes).
Previous movies directed by Soderbergh that I remembered were Sex, Lies and Videotape; The Underneath; Che, and Ocean's Eleven. I never bothered with the Ocean's Sequels. How anything in that sample strongly resembles Contagion really needs explanation. If it's cinematography, then Soderbergh's role as cinematographer is obviously just as important as I thought it was.

I have seen Traffic, but, having seen Traffik on its original US broadcast, was never impressed with the movie. I found the Academy attention inexplicable. Since I think that movie was not very good at all, when I am told that it strongly resembles Soderbergh's Contagion, I don't think that it's because of the importance of Soderbergh's directorial contribution. If Soderbergh's directorial work were so creatively important, then Traffic would have been a genuinely good movie. I think the difference is because the script for Contagion was much better, which is not the director's work.

The directors who like Soderbergh act in other, more creative capacities such as cinematographer, editor and writer do have much more creative input than the director as director. And I have to add that even the director has a major influence on execution, if not in a directly creative capacity. (And to be complete, the director really is the primary creator of the unscripted portions, if any parts of a movie are left improvisation anymore.)

As to the specific issue of the editing in Contagion, how do you separate Soderbergh's contributions as director and editor? The director as director has the least creative importance. The more he or she assumes other, more creative roles, the more important she or he is creatively, most of all when the director is also the writer. But then, it's a matter of the writer getting a chance to execute the script properly instead of having a director bungle it. I criticized the movie specifically for a tendency to melodramatize the dark impulses of the unwashed masses, and the Cotillard subplot was the single worst instance of that. Soderbergh may have reduced the time but he didn't reduce the problem. In fact, I suspect the cut scenes showed the unwashed masses not to be so darkly impulsed, which would mean that Soderbergh made the movie a little worse than it had to be! In other words, the director as auteur was just the guy who fucked up something. This is creativity?

If the question is the issue of who is in fact more "important," i.e., powerful, in the completion of the final product, the tendency nowadays is obviously to award the director the power. Giving the most power to the person who has the least creative contribution I think explains one of the fundamental problems with Hollywood's creative process. And yes, I do think there's a creatively flawed process at work.

The funny thing is, the real issue may be the belief that Contagion is a bad movie, and Traffic is a good one.
Old January 7 2012, 05:24 PM   #39
Saul
Rear Admiral

'Alien Vs Predator' Unrated. Why did I put myself through that...
Old January 7 2012, 09:29 PM   #40
nvek86
Commander

2. Strings

That was a great film. The plot is well known (intrigue and murder after a king dies - although there are a few nice twists), but what makes the film special is that it's all done with puppets. And it's actually an important part of the story, e.g. they can't be in any place with a roof, because their strings go straight up in the sky and passing under a bridge is impossible for them for the same reason. It also has a wonderful soundtrack.
I'd heard about this film for quite some time (always praise and recommendations) and it did not disappoint.
Old January 7 2012, 10:31 PM   #41
LitmusDragon
Commodore

2. Where The Wild Things Are - C. I appreciate the look of it, and I love that James Gandolfini voiced Carol, but I just didn't care for this movie that much.
Old January 7 2012, 10:47 PM   #42
CaptainCanada
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
The director as director has the least creative importance. The more he or she assumes other, more creative roles, the more important she or he is creatively, most of all when the director is also the writer.
The director is the most important creative person, generally (there are some movies that are more producer- or writer-driven, of course, but director-driven is the rule). Their whole purpose is to direct the creative course of the entire project. The director decides what the movie is going to be. Everybody else works under their supervision and conforms to their vision.
But then, it's a matter of the writer getting a chance to execute the script properly instead of having a director bungle it. I criticized the movie specifically for a tendency to melodramatize the dark impulses of the unwashed masses, and the Cotillard subplot was the single worst instance of that. Soderbergh may have reduced the time but he didn't reduce the problem. In fact, I suspect the cut scenes showed the unwashed masses not to be so darkly impulsed, which would mean that Soderbergh made the movie a little worse than it had to be! In other words, the director as auteur was just the guy who fucked up something. This is creativity?
That assumption has no basis whatsoever.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 10:50 PM   #43
Goliath
Vice Admiral

1. War Horse (B-)

A movie about a boy and his horse, and how war is bad. Reasonably entertaining, but bland, sentimental, and not very moving.

The historical content was a curious mishmash of the accurate and the inaccurate. I haven't seen the play on which it was based, so I can't compare the two.

I recommend it to people who like stories about horses, or children's books like The Incredible Journey. If you're looking for a movie set in the Great War with an anti-war message, see Paths of Glory instead.

Theatres: 1 (+1)
Home Video: 0
Computer: 0
Old January 8 2012, 02:53 AM   #44
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Today I watched Superman Returns, capping my Superman Re-watch. This is the first time I've pulled that DVD out of the 2006 mega set in some time.

Ugh.

I remembered this film was a bad attempt at a homage to the Chris Reeve/Richard Donner films, but I forgot just how embrarassingly bad it is.

Let's hope next year's film is better.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 03:31 AM   #45
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

1. The Kids Are Alright (B-)
2. Priest (B-)
3. An Invisible Sign (B)

This quirky movie starring Jessica Alba was about...well, a girl who really loved math. She has a lot of personal and family issues..but while the ending is pretty predictable, at least it's good. Jessica Alba does a good job.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote