Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 20 2012, 01:58 PM   #256
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Alien ✭✭✭✭ (rewatch)

The perfect blend of horror and science fiction. There's just so much to marvel at. The "space jockey" scene has to be one of the most memorable in all of science fiction. The set, based on a H.R. Giger painting, is just fantastic. All the performances are great, the alien is believable... there's just so much to love about the movie.

Aliens ✭✭✭✭ (rewatch)

And just when you think it couldn't get any better... there's more aliens and a bigger budget and Paul Reiser! I truthfully can't decide if I like Alien or Aliens more sometime.

Rabbit Hole (2010) ✭✭✭

A pretty good film. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart both put on good performances. The movie is about the loss of a young child and both actors are very believable in their roles as the parents. It was kind of paint-by-the-numbers, though. Nothing to really make it memorable.

Vertigo ✭✭✭ 1/2

This is one weird movie. I enjoyed the hell out of Jimmy Stewart's performance as a man obsessed with Kim Novak. The movie is maybe just a little bit too long though. I'm sure it's movie that gets better with repeat viewings. This is definitely something I'd like to watch again.

The Ruins ✭✭✭ 1/2 (rewatch)

One of my favorite horror films. In comparison to Vertigo, my complaint with this movie is that it's two short. I love the setting and the claustrophobic atmosphere and Jenna Malone. Some people think the movie is silly, but I love it.
Old February 20 2012, 08:16 PM   #257
Harvey
Admiral

26. The Secret World of Arrietty (B)
27. Twelve Angry Men (A)

The Secret World of Arrietty: When the movie focuses on the "Borrowers" and the character of Arrietty especially, it's terrific. It really captures the wonder of these small characters trying to exist in the human world. The "Borrowers" (I'm still not sure why the movie didn't retain the original title of the children's book) also feature the movie's best voice acting and dialogue.

The movie doesn't work, really, when it focuses on the human characters, especially the boy. His dialogue is always forcing the character to wear his emotions on his sleeve, to the point where subtext is stated as text, and it doesn't work. The audience I saw the film with genuinely enjoyed the movie, but whenever the boy was on screen they were laughing at the movie, not with it. Despite this flaw, however, the movie still manages to succeed. It just falls short of being a masterpiece, which I honestly believe it would have been had this character been handled with more subtlety or been eliminated altogether.

Twelve Angry Men: I picked up the Criterion Blu-Ray of this title during their Valentine's Day sale, and I wasn't disappointed by the purchase. The movie, of course, I've seen before -- and it still holds up excellently. Great cast, great script, and great direction (although, from perusing the special features, it appears that a few of Lumet's more masterful camera moves were borrowed shot for shot from the original TV version). Easily one of the best TV-to-film adaptations ever produced.

Theatres: 10 +1
Home Video: 16 +1
Computer: 1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 08:21 PM   #258
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
The Secret World of Arrietty: When the movie focuses on the "Borrowers" and the character of Arrietty especially, it's terrific. It really captures the wonder of these small characters trying to exist in the human world. The "Borrowers" (I'm still not sure why the movie didn't retain the original title of the children's book)
Probably to distinguish itself from This.
Old February 20 2012, 08:38 PM   #259
Harvey
Admiral

That film does look awful. On the other hand, "The Borrowers" had been adapted two other times before then with the original title, and apparently was adapted in 2011 for the BBC with the original title, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 09:07 PM   #260
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DVD
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - free screenin'
Limitless - Netflix Instant
The Next Three Days - Netflix Instant
Man on a Ledge - free screenin'
Red State - Netflix Instant
Mars Needs Moms - Netflix Instant
S.W.A.T.: Firefight - Netflix Instant
Red Tails - free screenin'
Resident Evil: Degeneration - Netflix Instant
The Last Exorcism - Netflix Instant
Frozen - Netflix Instant
The Perfect Host - Netflix Instant
Tucker & Dale vs Evil - Netflix Instant
Brooklyn's Finest - Netflix Instant
Stone - Netflix Instant
The Woman in Black - free screenin'
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - free screenin'
Haywire - free admission
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - free admission
The Artist - free admission
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - free admission
Ted & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - tech screenin'
Hugo - free admission
Safe House - free screenin'
The Captains - Netflix Instant
Troll Hunter - Netflix Instant
The Evil Dead (1981) - Netflix Instant
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D - tech screenin'
Underworld Awakening 3D - free admission
We Need to Talk About Kevin - free admission
The Innkeepers - free admission
Big Miracle - free admission
Chronicle - free admission
Underworld: Unrated Extended Cut - DVD
The Grey - free admission
Contraband - free admission
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D - free admission
One for the Money - free admission
The Ouija Experiment - free admission
Ghost Rider - Extended Cut - DVD
The Secret World of Arrietty - free admission
Bullhead - free admission
Underworld Evolution - DVD

Took a few tries to get through the Underworld sequel - havin' to watch DVDs on my laptop, and some places are just too loud for that sort of thing.

Not too bad a movie, I did like how it picked up immediately from the first movie.

It didn't seem as loud as the first movie, which was nice.

And the fights between the various monsters were cool to watch.
Old February 20 2012, 09:17 PM   #261
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Really? I've seen the various films many times now and the first is always the more sombre, quiet one to me. Watched Evolution only a couple of hours ago too.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 10:39 PM   #262
nvek86
Commander

26. OSS 117: Le Caire nid d'espions

This is a spy parody made by basically the same team that also made this year's "The Artist". It has some funny scenes, but on the whole I expected more.
Old February 20 2012, 10:58 PM   #263
od0_ital
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Really? I've seen the various films many times now and the first is always the more sombre, quiet one to me. Watched Evolution only a couple of hours ago too.
It may just be me, but it seemed that the sequel had less goin' on, noise & soundtrack wise than the first...
Old February 21 2012, 12:56 AM   #264
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
It may just be me, but it seemed that the sequel had less goin' on, noise & soundtrack wise than the first...
I see what you mean now, yeah the first film experimented much more visually and audibly with various filters, digital alteration, and on a smaller budget with cheaper equipment it made for a surreal backing to the film.

Evolution had one main blue visual filter and did the entire audio track normally. So it looks and sounds far "cleaner".
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 04:13 AM   #265
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Yep, that's exactly what I meant...

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DVD
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - free screenin'
Limitless - Netflix Instant
The Next Three Days - Netflix Instant
Man on a Ledge - free screenin'
Red State - Netflix Instant
Mars Needs Moms - Netflix Instant
S.W.A.T.: Firefight - Netflix Instant
Red Tails - free screenin'
Resident Evil: Degeneration - Netflix Instant
The Last Exorcism - Netflix Instant
Frozen - Netflix Instant
The Perfect Host - Netflix Instant
Tucker & Dale vs Evil - Netflix Instant
Brooklyn's Finest - Netflix Instant
Stone - Netflix Instant
The Woman in Black - free screenin'
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - free screenin'
Haywire - free admission
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - free admission
The Artist - free admission
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - free admission
Ted & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - tech screenin'
Hugo - free admission
Safe House - free screenin'
The Captains - Netflix Instant
Troll Hunter - Netflix Instant
The Evil Dead (1981) - Netflix Instant
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D - tech screenin'
Underworld Awakening 3D - free admission
We Need to Talk About Kevin - free admission
The Innkeepers - free admission
Big Miracle - free admission
Chronicle - free admission
Underworld: Unrated Extended Cut - DVD
The Grey - free admission
Contraband - free admission
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D - free admission
One for the Money - free admission
The Ouija Experiment - free admission
Ghost Rider - Extended Cut - DVD
The Secret World of Arrietty - free admission
Bullhead - free admission
Underworld Evolution - DVD
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - free admission

Oh, dear lord, what a terrible movie...there's no continuity from the first, except to say that Nicholas Cage is the Ghost Rider. Ciaran Hinds is almost completely wasted as the villain. Idris Elba IS wasted as the ally. A lot of it doesn't even make sense. And the best joke in the whole thing involves a Twinkie.

Also, not worth payin' extra for a 3D viewin', since 3D is hardly utilized, and really doesn't add anything to the movie.
Old February 21 2012, 05:41 AM   #266
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
-There's the pact with the devil aspect of course carried over.
-Then some further detail about what type of "demon" is bonded to Blaze as the Rider.
-The aspect of the Rider having an aversion to daylight is a carry over, then remedied.
-The fact he mentions he's been on the run, which is ambigous I suppose but it sounds like a line to let the viewer know "since you last saw me in the US, this is why I'm in Europe now"

Yeah, the twinkie scene got a few laughs on Friday night when I saw it, the Sunday matinee however didn't seem to get it. I love the entire chase scene at dawn, that alone saves the film from utter disaster. I admit Oscar won't be calling though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 05:26 PM   #267
od0_ital
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^
-There's the pact with the devil aspect of course carried over.
With the contract lookin' more like a modern legal document instead of a scroll. He signs it with blood after smashin' his hand with a beer bottle instead of an accidental papercut. And the animated intro suggests Papa Blaze actually got to a hospital, not just sufferin' through outpatient appointments.

And a different actor playin' the Devil this time out.

-Then some further detail about what type of "demon" is bonded to Blaze as the Rider.
Meh...that was just to help this story, without havin' anything to do with the first one. Not like he burned blue when he pointed at the innocent kid in the holdin' cell...

-The aspect of the Rider having an aversion to daylight is a carry over, then remedied.
He was able to go "flame on!" durin' daylight hours, but still in shadow, at the end of the first movie. He should be over the 'aversion' by now...

-The fact he mentions he's been on the run, which is ambigous I suppose but it sounds like a line to let the viewer know "since you last saw me in the US, this is why I'm in Europe now"
And I bet he rode his motorcycle all the way across the Atlantic Ocean, too...
Old February 21 2012, 05:57 PM   #268
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Yes they made some visual changes, I was just pointing out the carryovers. It seemed to be what you were indicating wasn't there or you might have missed.
The directors called this a Requel even, stealing the term for our board I think. One part Reboot/one part Sequel. So yeah some changes were going to be made, for budget reasons or style.

Since the demon has this daylight aversion as a fear/weakness I don't see any reason the Rider should, at this point, be any more over it than Superman is to Kryptonite. Your weakness is you weakness regardless of how often you're around it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 10:28 PM   #269
nvek86
Commander

27. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

I haven't read the book, so I don't know how closely it resembles it, but I thought this was one of the better franchise starters of the last few years. It moved along at a nice pace, had nice effects and was generally mostly fun.
Old February 22 2012, 02:08 PM   #270
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

10. "The Artist" (2011) A + Starring: Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, Uggie the dog, James Cromwell, John Goodman, Malcom McDowell. Directed By: Michael Hazanavicius.

This movie wasn't even on my radar until the buzz and hype started over it around Golden Globe time. I ignored it as I mostly do over these types of things, but eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I checked out the trailer. That clinched it. I had to see this movie. I didn't think a silent movie would work in this day and age. Boy was I wrong. This film absolutely blew me away. It deserves all the accolades and awards that it has won, and probably still will win. The acting is brillant, so is the directing, and the musical score really pulls you into the story. Not in a very long time have I had a range of emotion triggered by a film like the ones I felt while watching "The Artist". I am one that gets really into a story and can get emotional with films that I really love, but this was different. I was feeling all kinds of things and reacting to various scenes playing out on the screen. Haven't felt that way about a film in a very long time. If you are even remotely thinking about seeing this film...do so. It has a tremendous cast and a heart warming story and I think several relevant messages in the film. I was hesitant before, but I'm really glad that I went to see this. It is now number one on my favourite films of 2011 list. I'll be getting the Blu-Ray when it comes out in a couple months. I hope this cleans up at the Oscars as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote