Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 29 2012, 04:59 PM   #166
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Harvey wrote: View Post
17. Burn After Reading (B+)
Saw this last year. It wasn't just funny, it was absurd. I loved it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 11:51 PM   #167
nvek86
Commander

13. The Fall

A very good film about an injured stuntman in a hospital who tells a little girl a story to get her to things for him. The story he tells is a bit weird, but it makes sense since he's inventing it as he's telling it and changes it to suit his wishes and the girl's. Also, director Tarsem has a great eye for visuals, so the film is also fantastic to simply look at.
Old January 30 2012, 04:17 AM   #168
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

6. Lost City Raiders: C+
7. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist: B+
8. Contraband: B+

The new "action" film with Mark Whalberg, Kate Beckinsale and Ben Foster. I say "action" cause it's more a suspense film with about 4 action moments. That doesn't hinder it but the ads sell it on the action and it's not some action extravaganza. It's not that the film openly telegraphs details but they are there to be seen so I wasn't totally shocked. This both keeps it out of 'A' contention but was done well enough to stay solid B+.
A renter for sure but hey, I had a freebie coupon that had to be used before it expired.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 04:36 AM   #169
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1) The Artist (2011) - A+
2) Midnight in Paris (2011) - B
3) Tree of Life (2011) - F

I don't usually turn movies off but I just couldn't take it anymore with this film. I was sitting there for a half hour waiting for...something that never ever came. I couldn't tell you what this movie was about because I was starting to get bored out of my mind. If this movie wins Best Picture than I just give up with the whole Oscars thing because this was one of the worst "movies" I've seen in a long long time.

Theatre: 1
DVD: 0
TV: 0
On Demand: 0
Internet: 2 (+1)
Old January 30 2012, 04:43 AM   #170
Harvey
Admiral

If you didn't make it to the origin of the universe sequence, you missed out, but I can understand not caring for a Terrence Malick film. His films are very visual, often to the point of becoming tone poems and abandoning the trappings of conventional narrative completely.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 04:51 AM   #171
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
If you didn't make it to the origin of the universe sequence, you missed out, but I can understand not caring for a Terrence Malick film. His films are very visual, often to the point of becoming tone poems and abandoning the trappings of conventional narrative completely.
I think it was in the first half hour, but if not, I don't care at this point. It's a 2 hour + film and I'm not going to waste another second on being bored because of it.
Old January 30 2012, 05:55 AM   #172
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Star Trek: TMP 1979 - HBO HD
We all know this one. My appreciation for this one came late as I came to love this one when Spike used to show it every other day. I think this is the most filmic of all Trek movies even if its storyline was derived from the TV episode The Changeling. You just have to sit back and absorb it.

Cobra Woman 1944 - HBO HD
Really fun and lurid old-school adventure set on tropical islands with good/evil twins, a cobra worshipping society complete with cobra dance, Sabu as a loyal jungle boy, a chimpanzee in a diaper, Lon Chaney, Jr as a mute islander, and so on. Most of these old time adventure flicks are kind of creaky these days but this one moves along nicely.

Streets of Fire 1984 - HBO HD
Interesting movie, a rock and roll fable in an odd setting that is like the 50's were in the 80's . If you've seen The Warriors it has the same sort of cartoonish feel and was also directed by Walter Hill. I didn't really see this in the day even though I was around so I don't really have any nostalgia for it. I can see what it's going for and it's decent but it didn't completely grab me.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 09:14 AM   #173
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

DVD

4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Not much of a plot...
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 05:12 PM   #174
CaptainCanada
Admiral

1. My Week With Marilyn (B-)
2. Fantasia 2000 (B+)
3. Blade Runner (B)
4. The Hidden Fortress (A-)
5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (B+)
6. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (A+)
7. The Descendants (A-)
8. Monsieur Lazhar (A)
9. The Prestige (A+)

I was going to call this the black sheep of Christopher Nolan's post-Memento work, but then I remembered that Insomnia is really a better fit for that designation. But of the four (soon to be five) films he's made after Insomnia, this is the only one that avoided becoming a cultural touchstone. And it's not for a lack of merit, because on rewatching this for the first time since its release in 2006 I would say it's easily in a class above The Dark Knight and Inception, the two insanely popular hits that came after it (and both very strong films in their own right). As with many instances of rewatching a film that hinges heavily on a twist, the hints seem very obvious the second time around, but it still holds up wonderfully, and it gives you a much deeper appreciation of what was really going on with the Alfred Borden character. Nolan vividly conjures a sense of existential dread. Though I do wonder why Tesla and Angier seemed not to realize that they had stumbled onto the greatest invention in human history since the wheel.

Cinema: 4
Home Video: 5
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 05:33 AM   #175
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DVD
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - free screenin'
Limitless - Netflix Instant
The Next Three Days - Netflix Instant
Man on a Ledge - free screenin'
Red State - Netflix Instant
Mars Needs Moms - Netflix Instant
S.W.A.T.: Firefight - Netflix Instant
Red Tails - free screenin'
Resident Evil: Degeneration - Netflix Instant
The Last Exorcism - Netflix Instant
Frozen - Netflix Instant
The Perfect Host - Netflix Instant
Tucker & Dale vs Evil - Netflix Instant
Brooklyn's Finest - Netflix Instant
Stone - Netflix Instant
The Woman in Black - free screenin'

Got together with my friends Tomi & Barbara for tonight's free screenin'.

I thought the movie was suitably creepy. Daniel Radcliffe did a good job as the lead, and Ciaran Hinds was good support for his character.

My friend Barbara liked it because it was more of a ghost story than a gory story.

The next free screenin' I have a pass for is Journey 2: The Mysterious Island next week, but I'll have to wait & see if I can go to it...
Old February 1 2012, 06:36 PM   #176
Agent Richard07
Admiral

26. Blood Diamond: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Leonard DiCaprio plays a smuggler who's lved his entire life in Africa, Djimon Housnou plays a man who's been separated from his family and forced to sift for rocks, and Jennifer Connelly plays an American journalist who visits Africa to document the diamond trade. Slow at first, but has a great ending. The movie tries to bring awareness to what goes in in the diamond trade and largely succeeds, but it still feels very "Hollywood".

27. The Invisible Man: (✩✩✩✩) - TV - Finally saw this classic about a man who uses a serum to make himself invisible and goes a bit mad in the process. The "invisible man" special effects were impressive for a film made in the early 30s. I didn't know they could do what they did back then.

28. Frankenstein: (✩✩✩½) - TV - Saw this classic too. I was confused at first because Frakenstein was named "Henry" instead of "Victor", but a quick look-up got me over that bit. I plan to catch the sequels when I can.

29. The Dilemma: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A comedy about a man who sees his best friend's wife cheating and agonizes over what to do about it. The fact that he and his friend have a big project to complete that can't afford distractions plays a part in his dilemma. A few other surprise revelations pop up as well, further compounding things. Vince Vaughn, Kevin James, Jennifer Connelly and Winonna Ryder were all enjoyable to watch.

Theatre: 0
DVD/Blu-Ray: 9
TV: 18
On Demand: 2
Internet: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 09:16 PM   #177
nvek86
Commander

14. They Live

Apart from a few scenes that were fun because of their "over the top"-ness, I actually found this to be a quite boring film. I liked the old "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from '56 (which is a similar story) a lot better.
Old February 2 2012, 03:11 AM   #178
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Vanishing Point 1971
Nihilistic existentialist classic with a man only known as Kowalski, a supercharged white Challenger, a fistful of uppers and an ill-advised bet to San Francisco in an impossible amount of time. This is like ST:TMP which I recently watched, where you just have to sit back and let it wash over you. Lots of desert, lots of wild driving, a blind DJ named Supersoul chronicling the journey, a naked woman riding a motorcycle, and so on and along the way hints of the failed life that brought Kowalski to this point. Nothing is really fully explained, and it's open for interpretation, I'm not even sure if it's all real, so it's probably different for everyone.

Now I need to go watch Two Lane Blacktop again...

This sums it up nicely

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; February 2 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 04:23 AM   #179
CaptainCanada
Admiral

10. Blood Simple (A-)

The Coen Brothers' first film effort, released way back in 1984. Despite the low budget, their skill with a camera is plainly on display here (the climactic sequence prefigures parts of No Country For Old Men, albeit with a more audience-friendly resolution).

Cinema: 4
Home Video: 6
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 05:33 PM   #180
Saul
Rear Admiral

27. Battleship Potemkin
28. Attack of the Block
29. The long good Friday
30. The Muppets 2011
31. Zatoichi The Fugitive
32. Zatoichi on the Road
33. Zatoichi and the chest of Gold
34. Zatoichi's Flashing Sword
35. Fight Zatoichi Fight!
36. Adventures of Zatoichi
37. Man on the Brink
38. Zatoichi's Revenge
39. Zatoichi and the Doomed Man
40. Zatoichi and the Chess Expert
41. Long Arm of the Law
42. Zatoichi's Vengeance
43. Zatoichi's Pilgimage
44. Zatoichi's Cane Sword

Speical mention but not counted. Both Star Wars Trilogies.