Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 30 2011, 07:40 AM   #31
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: Bring Back Kathryn Janeway to the Voyager books! Online Petition!

CaptainDecember wrote: View Post

Maybe if Kirsten Beyer's novels had sucked maybe a way could have been found to bring her back.

Let her rest in piece. If she must come back let it be something involving a Rogue Q or something.
Of course she ISN'T resting in peace and is probably quite miserable and longing for death in her current condition. I like how you say it is a bad idea then are receptive IF it is interesting.

Of course it would be a Q story, no doubt a rogue Q story as I doubt the continuum agreed with what Q did. The probably don't like her for causing a civil war.

I would also wager that if VOY is this good without Janeway, it would be better with Janeway. TOS movies could have have been good with Spock remaining dead, but I'm glad they chose to restore an icon and fan favorite.

I think bringing back Janeway would be a nice gift to fans, better than the "these are the voyages" valentine, but doing it for the fans and not because it is part of a great plot would go badly.
Old December 30 2011, 02:31 PM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
I think bringing back Janeway would be a nice gift to fans, better than the "these are the voyages" valentine, but doing it for the fans and not because it is part of a great plot would go badly.
The book-buying demographic for ST novels is supposedly less than 1% of the viewing audience. The number of fans who want Janeway back is much less than that one percent.

"Doing it for the fans?"
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 07:09 PM   #33
Lonemagpie
Writer

Has *nobody* heard/read/seen The Monkey's Paw...?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 07:45 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Of course Needs of the Many is relevant only to STO players and meaningless otherwise. It was also a dull read. STO also isn't respected as maintaining the same level of continuity as the relaunch series.

Great Data resurrection story, though, LOL.
I disagree (not about Data's resurrection, which was great). I have zero interest in the STO game, but loved "The Needs of the Many". I'd welcome more books set in that continuity.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 07:49 PM   #35
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Having read "Watching the Clock", I wonder if, in a reality where Janeway didn't die in "Before Dishonor", there are "Get Janeway out of jail!" petitions?
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 09:01 PM   #36
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
"The turkey's a little dry! Ohhh godddd!"

...Sorry, I had a Simpsons moment.
Old December 30 2011, 09:35 PM   #37
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

CaptainDecember wrote: View Post

Maybe if Kirsten Beyer's novels had sucked maybe a way could have been found to bring her back.

Let her rest in piece. If she must come back let it be something involving a Rogue Q or something.
Of course she ISN'T resting in peace and is probably quite miserable and longing for death in her current condition. I like how you say it is a bad idea then are receptive IF it is interesting.

Of course it would be a Q story, no doubt a rogue Q story as I doubt the continuum agreed with what Q did. The probably don't like her for causing a civil war.

I would also wager that if VOY is this good without Janeway, it would be better with Janeway. TOS movies could have have been good with Spock remaining dead, but I'm glad they chose to restore an icon and fan favorite.

I'm just saying I'm open to the idea if done in a way that is well thought out, makes sense, & is brief. Sisko said he'd be back, Data's somewhere in B4's head, Janeway is Q's nanny. I'm perfectly happy w/ how things have developed in Voyager, maybe a story about her in the Continuum would be fun.
Old December 30 2011, 10:21 PM   #38
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
If Janeway could be brought back into the sphere of the living with a story that works, I'd have no problems with that. Note my qualification: it has to be a story that works.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 10:32 PM   #39
Relayer1
Commodore

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
If Janeway could be brought back into the sphere of the living with a story that works, I'd have no problems with that. Note my qualification: it has to be a story that works.
In full agreement with this.

I am way more bothered by the killing of Kirk in such a poor manner in Generations (Shatnerverse notwithstanding) and Data in Nemesis. I'd rather have saved Jadzia than Janeway...

However, re desperately trying to bring back Janeway, has no-one read Misery ?
Old December 30 2011, 10:56 PM   #40
JD
Admiral

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
This will end well.
JD wrote: View Post
Really, again....REALLLYYYYYYY!!!?????
BillJ wrote: View Post
Who cares?
Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Want to take bets on what page this thread will be closed by? I'm going to say Page 4.
Please refrain from mild trolling posts like these in what you all clearly already recognize as a highly charged emotional topic for some. You don't care? Fine. You want to sit back and "watch the show?" Fine. But don't post about it if you don't have something to say on the actual topic.
Sorry, I let my frustration with the topic get the better of me. I should have just kept my fingers off the keyboard, I realize that now.
Syn.Sixx wrote: View Post
Never fails to amaze me, the number of trolls who sit about and wait for someone to speak an opinion so that they can then be as rude, as callous and as flat out obnoxious as possible because they incorrectly believe that the internet allows for such inappropriate behavior.

You are all allowed your opinions.

As we are allowed ours.

Complain, make fun.. the only thing any of you have done is show yourselves to be small-minded, petty individuals.

Knock yourselves out with it..

We're still going to continue to try and make a difference. And for the person who commented about no one having started an effort to bring back Data.. So start one.

What's stopping you?

Besides knowing you'll have to deal with a bunch of petty little trolls that is..
This has nothing to do with you personally, and honestly I don't find the idea of bringing Janeway back totally offensive. My problem is the fact that this comes up almost once a week, and every time it comes up it ends up turning into the exact same argument, practically down to every letter. And to be honest it's starting to get very old.
I understand you people feel very strongly about this, but do you really have to flood the boards with never ending arguments every week? I'll apologize in advance if this post inappropriate, but I honestly can't take it any longer, and I'm getting to a point where if it starts up again I might just have to give up the boards. I honestly think at times that this place saved my life when I started having medical problems and was really miserable, so I really don't want to have to stop coming here.
Old December 30 2011, 11:05 PM   #41
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Can Voyager survive the loss of its captain? My post over on the VOY version of this same thread:
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=29
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 02:07 AM   #42
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

To the OP:
1) I'm not sure what world you're living in, but online petitions dealing with fictional properties are rarely given any credence, and are even more rarely successful

2) You can't beg people to support your cause

I consider myself to be a fan of Kathryn Janeway as a character, but Kirsten Beyer has proven that, regardless of what a certain percentage of fans think, Voyager CAN successfully exist as a franchise without her, so this constant clamoring for her to be brought back into the story is not only annoying, it's also incredibly dismissive towards and disrespective of Ms. Beyer and her work, which is really just sad and pathetic, especially given that she has at least made an attempt to be understanding towards the fans who want Janeway back, even if she can't be accomodating towards them at the present time, or doesn't feel like she needs to be accomodating towards them at the present time.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 10:33 AM   #43
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

JD wrote: View Post
but I honestly can't take it any longer, and I'm getting to a point where if it starts up again I might just have to give up the boards. I honestly think at times that this place saved my life when I started having medical problems and was really miserable, so I really don't want to have to stop coming here.
Over react much?

If it hurts your sensibilities so much, just keep out of the thread in question instead of making a lame threat you won't follow through again - i.e. not using copyrighted images for your avatar.

As for this place saving your life, I'm sure the medication and the changes in lifestyle you implemented did all that.

Why do people take an internet discussion board about a fictional TV programme and it's related spin-offs so bloody seriously!

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 11:27 AM   #44
captcalhoun
Admiral

Why indeed?

Why do people also take dead characters in novels based on a TV show so seriously?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 12:01 PM   #45
Mage
Commodore

I know this sounds harsh, but really people, move on. It's a done deal, she died (but sorta maybe not). If the editors ever plan on bringing her back, they will. If not, not. I don't see the point in bringing this up so much. There's no big reset button they can push at S&S. It happened, deal with it.

Because every time this comes back up it adds a certain negatifty around here if you ask me, and all it becomes is a muddslinging contest. All the topics relating to Janeway's death (or Data's death, or Sisko's return) tend to end in bickering and shouting, with no resonable amount of normal discussion left.