Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: After the James Bond series who do you consider the 2nd best series?
Bourne franchise 20 62.50%
Jack Ryan franchise 2 6.25%
Mission Impossible (Ethan Hunt) franchise 9 28.13%
XXX franchise 0 0%
Salt 0 0%
Other - please list in the thread 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31 2011, 07:03 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Spy Thriller franchises, emphasis Ethan Hunt(MI) and Bourne franch

^ Thank you. Shame that some of those older magazines wouldn't put some of their archives online, I'm sure the original articles, especially the Premiere one, were more interesting than my summary, lol.
Old December 31 2011, 07:41 PM   #32
James R
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bourne franchise is my favourit.
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 09:51 PM   #33
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
*SNIP*
Well, ok then. While we may never hear exactly what had happened, that was a fairly compelling (and long) argument. Good show, sir.
Old December 31 2011, 09:53 PM   #34
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Thank you. I should add that I like Dalton's Bond and thought he was hard done by but I never bought the 'He quit' argument for a second.
Old January 1 2012, 04:13 AM   #35
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I voted Bourne because It's a great spy action series.

I would pay goood money to see Tom Cruise and everyone else doing MI shot down like dogs for turning one of my favorite shows into shit.

Salt was utter shit.

Never watched xXx. Never intend to. It's fast and furious with ony one guy and one car at a time.

All you whippersnappers need to learn: ONLY CONNERY WAS BOND! THE OTHERS ARE PRETENDERS!

Jack Ryan shouldn't even be on this list, as mentioned before. For the SOAF haters, you should hear Tom Clancy's commentary about the movie. Funniest commentary ever.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2012, 10:58 AM   #36
AFEK ESLCAFE W
Lieutenant Commander

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Agreed.

I would pay goood money to see Tom Cruise and everyone else doing MI shot down like dogs for turning one of my favorite shows into shit.
I personally consider the original TV show and the Cruise films to be 2 separate entities.

Salt was utter shit.
Agreed. Even Philip Noyce's brisk direction couldn't save that one...

Never watched xXx. Never intend to. It's fast and furious with ony one guy and one car at a time.
He's no Bourne, that's for sure.

All you whippersnappers need to learn: ONLY CONNERY WAS BOND! THE OTHERS ARE PRETENDERS!
So?

Jack Ryan shouldn't even be on this list, as mentioned before. For the SOAF haters, you should hear Tom Clancy's commentary about the movie. Funniest commentary ever.
Clancy didn't complain about picking up a check so he should keep his mouth shut. Hypocrite.
AFEK ESLCAFE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2012, 01:08 PM   #37
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I don't agree. What was he supposed to do, hand back the cheque because he didn't like the movie?
Old January 1 2012, 08:50 PM   #38
Aragorn
Admiral

AFEK ESLCAFE W wrote: View Post
Clancy didn't complain about picking up a check so he should keep his mouth shut. Hypocrite.
If Clancy doesn't have creative control in any aspect of the movie, what can he do? They're called adaptations for a reason. This was the same studio that make The Hunt for Red October. Should he have had a vision in a dream in advance about what they were going to do with The Sum of All Fears and turned them down?

John Grisham had no say in The Chamber and he hated how the movie turned out. For A Time to Kill, he had director and script approval and even some cast approval. He felt it turned out to be a good but not great movie.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2012, 04:04 AM   #39
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

AFEK ESLCAFE W wrote: View Post

1. If they were stupid enough to contract him to do a commentary he can say whatever he pleases.

2. I'd say he's justified in taking the check as compensation for the ruination of his original story.

-Tom Clancy
Old January 2 2012, 06:53 AM   #40
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Salt was utter shit.

I agree with allot except from what I have seen of Jason Bourne is plenty of fights and escape and evasion but very little spying going on. I like the other Bonds but the series as a whole went over the top long before I saw my first one in the theatre in the late 70s, thus Roger Moore's For Your Eyes Only was among my favorites because it seemed like a real mission for an actual government agent. As for Jack Ryan there was The Hunt For Red October and Clear and Present Danger where his spying was as the analyst going old school with books as the mercenary counterpart was using computers
Old January 2 2012, 08:27 PM   #41
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
I agree with allot except from what I have seen of Jason Bourne is plenty of fights and escape and evasion but very little spying going on.
Because Bourne is an assassin, not a spy. But the OP titled the thread "Spy thrillers" so I went with it.

I like the other Bonds but the series as a whole went over the top long before I saw my first one in the theatre in the late 70s, thus Roger Moore's For Your Eyes Only was among my favorites because it seemed like a real mission for an actual government agent.
I only included that because further up the thread the debate was about Brosnan and Dalton as if Sean Connery never existed, when true Bond afficionados know Connery was Bond.

As for Jack Ryan there was The Hunt For Red October and Clear and Present Danger where his spying was as the analyst going old school with books as the mercenary counterpart was using computers
No, Ryan has less business being on the list than you think Bourne has. He's never been a spy in any incarnation.

-Tom Clancy
Old January 3 2012, 06:06 AM   #42
Bob Karo
Captain

I don't think anyone would argue that Connery was a great Bond. That doesn't mean the other actors don't have their good points. I'd be lying if I said there isn't something I enjoyed in each Bond movie. Even TWINE and DAD.

Seriously though, the Harry Palmer series doesn't get much attention these days. And have ya'll seen the prices on a Region 1 DVD?
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 07:47 AM   #43
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Haven't bothered with the MI franchise ever since the first movie made Jim Phelps the bad guy.
Old January 3 2012, 11:15 AM   #44
Dream
Admiral

Damon isn't that big without Bourne.

The Green Zone was a flop even though it had Damon and the director from the Bourne sequels.

It makes me wonder why he left that franchise.