TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 5 2012, 05:30 PM   #1036
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finished A Time to Heal last night. Really enjoyed it, if after a while I started to not care for the supernumeraries getting mercilessly slaughtered. It just got be one of those don't get attached to anyone outside of the main cast books. The political machinations were quite interesting and played really well. Kill/Heal has been the best of the bunch for me, by quite a wide margin. Question: is it pronounced Tez-wah, Tease-wah, Tee-Zewah? My gut is the first one, but just curious. Now onto A Time for War, A Time for Peace. Is there a reason that this is a single volume? Seems odd to have a series of duologies and then end with a single volume.

As I'm close to finishing the TNG Movie Era, I jumped back to read some of the things I haven't gotten to yet. Mainly this is just short stories and comics, but there are two novels. TNG/X-Men: Planet X I'm holding out on until I finish the A Time to... novels as I got it too late to put into my chronological reading order. Double Helix: Double or Nothing I've heard is much more of a NF novel than a TNG novel and will wait to read it in proper context. However, after finishing Heal last night I went and read through a bunch of the short stories and comics I hadn't gotten to yet.

Short Stories: 'Til Death was a quite enjoyable read from Sky's the Limit, it doesn't 100% jibe with the A Time to... books, but it makes more sense after Heal as I thought it would, rather than after Hate as Memory Beta has it. A good Riker story, if it's a bit absurd. But it has the Fabrini who I love. Bedside Matters from Amazing Stories was a cute, quick story. I wish the story had a bit more time to breathe, but it's fun. I like the image of the EMH struggle to examine a cat that it put into my head. Then I finished up with The Captain and the King from Enterprise Logs. I must admit I really didn't like it, and really didn't see the need for it to be a Captain's Table Tale. As well, that type of structure got in the way of the telling of the story. Really disjointed and sloppy writing. I was surprised how close it was to what we know of Andorian culture that was extrapolated on after this story was published - though it differs quite a bit too.

Finally, I read two comics. Star Trek Unlimited #7 - Infinite Jest was a really fun story about the launching of the E-E under Jean-Luc where Q and Trelane interfere. Enjoyed it a fair bit. And then I read Star Trek Unlimited #10 - A Piece of Reaction which was good, but not great. Some art quibbles, but again just an enjoyable one-off for the TNG movie era and a fun sequel to a TOS story.

Last edited by BritishSeaPower; August 5 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Embarrassing typos!
BritishSeaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 02:07 PM   #1037
Use of Time
Commodore

Burning Dreams by Margaret Wadne Bonanno. This book fills in some details about the early years of Christopher Pike as he gets used to his new life on Talos IV post Menagarie. Adequete story but somewhat plodding.
Old August 7 2012, 10:40 AM   #1038
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Just finished an early TNG novel, 'The Peacekeepers' by Gene Deweese. Absolutely terrible book. 1/5

Just started 'Lightning' by Dean Koontz
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 04:46 PM   #1039
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Just finished A Time to Kill. Wish I had followed the advice give waaay back and just skipped the rest of the Time To series. This was far and away the best of the series. Much of the other books was quite meh.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 05:53 PM   #1040
Paris
Commodore

Currently on the third volume of Brian Bendis' original New Avengers run. Liking it so far
Paris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 08:32 PM   #1041
Sho
Fleet Captain

wahwahkits wrote: View Post
Just finished an early TNG novel, 'The Peacekeepers' by Gene Deweese. Absolutely terrible book. 1/5
Shows how opinions can differ, I guess. I just finished The Peacekeepers as well and loved it, 4/5.

It's an especially impressive achievement in context, because it was written when TNG hadn't even aired yet, yet shows a surprisingly good feel for the characters, e.g. by pairing up Geordi and Data.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 09:08 PM   #1042
Christopher
Writer

The Geordi-Data pairing was specified in the series bible.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 09:16 PM   #1043
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I just finished the fabulous Forgotten History and I'm about 80 pages into The Rings of Time.
Old August 8 2012, 05:24 AM   #1044
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Just finally started Star Trek Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by David R. George III, and Greg Cox's "The Dark Knight Rises" novelization.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:32 PM   #1045
Killie
Lieutenant

View Killie's Twitter Profile

Just recently read "The Romulan War: To Brave The Storm" and posted my review here for anyone who is interested.

Actually currently reading "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"
Killie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 02:21 AM   #1046
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn the other day. I'm now reading Psych: Mind-Altering Murder.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 03:15 AM   #1047
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Finished A Time to Heal last night. Really enjoyed it, if after a while I started to not care for the supernumeraries getting mercilessly slaughtered. It just got be one of those don't get attached to anyone outside of the main cast books. The political machinations were quite interesting and played really well. Kill/Heal has been the best of the bunch for me, by quite a wide margin. Question: is it pronounced Tez-wah, Tease-wah, Tee-Zewah? My gut is the first one, but just curious. Now onto A Time for War, A Time for Peace. Is there a reason that this is a single volume? Seems odd to have a series of duologies and then end with a single volume.

As I'm close to finishing the TNG Movie Era, I jumped back to read some of the things I haven't gotten to yet. Mainly this is just short stories and comics, but there are two novels. TNG/X-Men: Planet X I'm holding out on until I finish the A Time to... novels as I got it too late to put into my chronological reading order. Double Helix: Double or Nothing I've heard is much more of a NF novel than a TNG novel and will wait to read it in proper context. However, after finishing Heal last night I went and read through a bunch of the short stories and comics I hadn't gotten to yet.

Short Stories: 'Til Death was a quite enjoyable read from Sky's the Limit, it doesn't 100% jibe with the A Time to... books, but it makes more sense after Heal as I thought it would, rather than after Hate as Memory Beta has it. A good Riker story, if it's a bit absurd. But it has the Fabrini who I love. Bedside Matters from Amazing Stories was a cute, quick story. I wish the story had a bit more time to breathe, but it's fun. I like the image of the EMH struggle to examine a cat that it put into my head. Then I finished up with The Captain and the King from Enterprise Logs. I must admit I really didn't like it, and really didn't see the need for it to be a Captain's Table Tale. As well, that type of structure got in the way of the telling of the story. Really disjointed and sloppy writing. I was surprised how close it was to what we know of Andorian culture that was extrapolated on after this story was published - though it differs quite a bit too.

Finally, I read two comics. Star Trek Unlimited #7 - Infinite Jest was a really fun story about the launching of the E-E under Jean-Luc where Q and Trelane interfere. Enjoyed it a fair bit. And then I read Star Trek Unlimited #10 - A Piece of Reaction which was good, but not great. Some art quibbles, but again just an enjoyable one-off for the TNG movie era and a fun sequel to a TOS story.
Good to see another chronological reader!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 04:24 AM   #1048
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Finished Neverwhere - finally. Also read Divergent by Veronica Roth and The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. I've given up on Stirling for now. Moving on to The People of Sparks, the sequel to The City of Ember.
Old August 10 2012, 04:27 AM   #1049
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Currently re-reading "Misery" by Stephen King. Pretty messed up at points, but King sure knows how to write.

Next in my chronological Trek read-through is: Assignment Eternity by Greg Cox!
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 04:23 PM   #1050
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just uploaded my review for S.P. Somtow's TNG novel, Do Comets Dream?.

Getting behind on my reviews, and life is going to get much busier soon! Currently reading Errand of Vengeance #2: Killing Blow by Kevin Ryan.