Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 10 2012, 05:16 AM   #811
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

If you're adapting something into a new medium, some things are going to change simply because different things will work in different media, but it's also a truism that you'll have to have some changes in order to give the people familiar with the original the same level of surprises and so on that the new audience will have...

Most of the changes to GoT season 2 have been pretty obviously because of the sheer size and scope, but overall they're still heading in the same direction with the plotlines.

What's interesting is that, despite having to hack out a lot to fit ACoK into 10 episodes, they've actually included (especially in the last three episodes or so) a bunch of stuff from A Storm of Swords...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 01:53 PM   #812
Christopher
Writer

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
I understand - its just hard to discuss since you have not read/seen it. I would be very interested in having the discussion once you have.
I don't think I'm likely to. From what I've heard, it's too dark and depressing and violent for me.

Now what would work - is a tv show based on the world with an all new plot and characters.
Or something that incorporates characters and plot elements from the books but combines them in new ways and tells new stories based on them, as The Dresden Files and Legend of the Seeker did, or as a movie like Clash of the Titans (the Harryhausen original) did with Greek mythology, or as superhero movies do with the comics that inspired them. It doesn't have to be a binary choice between slavish copying and complete newness. There are countless ways to rework the elements of a story, or to combine pieces of different stories to generate a new story.

But if you were going to change the overall plotline, you would have had to change the beginning as well. There is stuff happening in the prologue that sets up events in book 5 and so on.
But what you do in that case is what Straczynski did with Babylon 5: have certain key events and plot points that you need to pay off, but be flexible about when they happen, what happens in between them, what leads from one to the other, or even which characters play certain key roles. There can be multiple paths to reach the same endpoint. Again, it's not a binary choice.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 02:32 PM   #813
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is dark Christopher, and violent, so if thats not your thing, than you're probably right to avoid it. It is actually my favorite series, and I picked up the first one about 11 years ago, long before HBO made him uber famous. The third book is my favorite modern novel written.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 03:57 PM   #814
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I was worried about not having books to take with me to D.C. (since I'm a very fast reader), so I went out and picked up the ENT-R book The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing and started reading it. I've also got the DS9 Millenium Trilogy waiting in the wings, and will probably go pick up The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm either before I leave or, if it's available, while I'm in D.C.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 08:15 PM   #815
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or something that incorporates characters and plot elements from the books but combines them in new ways and tells new stories based on them, as The Dresden Files and Legend of the Seeker did, or as a movie like Clash of the Titans (the Harryhausen original) did with Greek mythology, or as superhero movies do with the comics that inspired them. It doesn't have to be a binary choice between slavish copying and complete newness. There are countless ways to rework the elements of a story, or to combine pieces of different stories to generate a new story.
Another good example of this is True Blood. It the takes most of the characters, and a lot of the basic concepts from the books, but then tends to take them in a very different directions.
Old June 10 2012, 10:22 PM   #816
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

I decided to pick up Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles as a sort of tribute. It was the first book of his I'd ever read and fell in love with it.
Old June 11 2012, 07:28 AM   #817
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Finished The Wrath Of Khan novelization. I appreciated all of the extras the movie didn't offer. 8/10

Now onto The Search For Spock.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:22 PM   #818
zarkon
Captain

Just finished reading The Anubis Gate & Rivers of London.

Anubis Gate was pretty good. It's the second Tim Powers book I've read(after On Stranger Tides, which I read yonks ago on finding it served as partial inspiration for The Secret of Monkey Island), and both have a main character who makes bad choices and screws up a bit. Which isn't that odd, but Powers has an interesting way of doing it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Rivers of London was an fun enough magical detective book for me to try the next in the series.
Old June 12 2012, 12:55 PM   #819
Christopher
Writer

I just finished reading the Bantam ST novel Planet of Judgment by Joe Haldeman, which I haven't read in a long time. I'd forgotten how much it got right about Trek continuity, by the standards of the time. Either Haldeman was a fan, or he really studied the James Blish adaptations in detail. (He even includes Blish as a character in the novel, as the scientist James Atheling; Blish wrote literary criticism under the pseudonym William Atheling, Jr.) Haldeman added a number of ideas of his own that are hard to reconcile with continuity, but that make good sense, like the use of high-tech body armor on dangerous missions and helmets for the security staff (an idea actually adopted in the TOS movies). When I read this book in the past, I wasn't aware of Haldeman's experience as an Army veteran, which heavily influenced his most famous work, The Forever War; but now I can see how much his military experience informed his portrayal of the crew's procedures in crisis situations.

It's also quite an epic and ambitious story, both in terms of the great hazards the characters face (and ultimately the civilization-wide stakes they must contend with) and the attempt to explore and develop the main characters; this book was the first attempt to depict the details of McCoy's divorce, for instance. Unfortunately, the writing style is somewhat cursory and compressed, so that events that should be big and emotionally powerful just get a few brief sentences of description before moving on. So it doesn't feel as profound and epic as it really should, which I suppose is why I've always only liked this novel rather than loving it. Also, Haldeman goes to some lengths to introduce several supporting characters and their relationships -- the borderline romantic triangle of Atheling, Sharon Follett, and Andre Charvat -- and then never really does anything with it, as those characters fade into the background when the climactic events draw near.

Still, for all it's flaws, it's one of the two strongest Bantam Trek novels by a good margin, surpassed only by David Gerrold's The Galactic Whirlpool.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 02:47 PM   #820
Paris
Fleet Captain

Currently reading DRGIII's Plagues of Night, and i'm really enjoying it
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 03:06 PM   #821
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

Just started reading New Frontier.
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 02:17 AM   #822
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Just finished Worlds of DS9: Bajor. I really enjoyed it and thought it was well written. I really grooved to J. Noah Kym's style, but the story ends up reading like a large prologue to a deeper storyline that seems to be part of the "missing" period of the DS9-R.

I also read Kira's Story from Tales from the Captain's Table which I absolutely hated. I rather enjoyed the Chakotay story, and it seemed like the Kira story was going there as well: "What made Kira leadership material?" But in fact we get basically a redo of "Wrongs Darker..." It's a shame, as I really liked Heather Jaarman's other DS9 stories.

Now onto A Time to Love/Hate and then the Short Story from Sky's The Limit set after then and IDW's Alien Spotlight: Borg before jumping back to Worlds of DS9 3.

Also: J. Noah Kym? Pseudonym? Recluse? Unsolved mystery?
Old June 14 2012, 11:23 PM   #823
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Heat Rises last night. It's really good, the best in the series so far, looking forward to the next one, Frozen Heat, when it comes out.

I'm about to start Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Forgotten History.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 08:30 PM   #824
WarsTrek1993
Captain

I've just finished The Voyage Home novelization. 9/10 for all of he extra moments not seen in the film.

Now I'm taking a break from Star Trek and reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived in paperback. It's SO MUCH better than that dreadful TOR: Fatal Alliance.

Last edited by WarsTrek1993; June 16 2012 at 09:27 PM.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 08:41 PM   #825
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Re-reading the Star Trek Voyager book "The Garden" by Melissa Scott. A very good book!

Before that I read a biography about Pink Floyd.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote