Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 23 2012, 11:39 PM   #736
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finally finished A Clash of Kings. I did ultimately like the book, though it got a bit tedious towards the end because I was itching to finish it up and get on to something new. That's the thing about longer books, I find.

Onto Doctor Who And The Ice Warriors now. I also started listening to the audiobook for The Daleks' Master Plan a few nights ago and loving it so far. Read by two of the original actors, it also has sound effects, music...and Dalek voices by Nicholas Briggs!
Old May 24 2012, 05:21 AM   #737
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just posted my latest review, for Laurence Yep's Star Trek #22: Shadow Lord. I definitely wasn't the biggest fan...
Old May 24 2012, 08:32 AM   #738
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Just finished "Orion's Hounds" by CLB and enjoyed it much. Only one very minor criticism. In "Why Do I Feel Guilty When I Say No?" which is a book about assertiveness it suggests that if anyone claims not to have an agenda, then their anxiety will force an agenda on them. Science has numerous agendas and so do the people associated with this social institution. The important point is to remain aware of the assumptions and agendas that must exist. I do not need to ask questions about themes in Treklit: I need to read more books and get the answers. Also, to become aware of the TV shows I am signing out and watching the DS9 episodes from my local library. Downloaded "Ex Machina" by CLB today. Also downloaded the book by Joel Kirk on Asians and the franchise.

Last edited by Endgame; May 24 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Used apostrophe instead of plural
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 02:41 PM   #739
Christopher
Writer

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
Just posted my latest review, for Laurence Yep's Star Trek #22: Shadow Lord. I definitely wasn't the biggest fan...
I tend to see Shadow Lord as representing an alternate timeline where the Prime Directive didn't exist (or was defined much more narrowly), and a cautionary tale for why there should be a Prime Directive. Looked at that way, it isn't so bad.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 04:10 PM   #740
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I tend to see Shadow Lord as representing an alternate timeline where the Prime Directive didn't exist (or was defined much more narrowly), and a cautionary tale for why there should be a Prime Directive. Looked at that way, it isn't so bad.
Ooh, that is helpful, thanks! I still feel as though Shadow Lord was basically a mish-mash of elements that Laurence Yep enjoyed, with the "Star Trek" label slapped onto it, though.
Old May 24 2012, 04:34 PM   #741
Christopher
Writer

I still feel as though Shadow Lord was basically a mish-mash of elements that Laurence Yep enjoyed, with the "Star Trek" label slapped onto it, though.
Well, that's kind of what makes it interesting. Star Trek has always had room in it for a wide range of different types of stories; keep in mind that the original intent was to make it a framework for an anthology-style approach to storytelling, since the starship could take its crew to any kind of environment the writer could conceive. If there's room in the ST format for haunted castles, gangsters, ancient Romans, and so on, there must surely be room for feudal societies and swordfights as well.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 05:20 PM   #742
Skywalker
Admiral

Working my way through Avatar, Book Two by S. D. Perry. Reading these in an omnibus format makes them both feel a lot shorter than they probably are.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 09:09 PM   #743
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

I have been reading and enjoying Martin and Mangels: Forged in Fire. I hope to finish by the 29th so I can dive into DRGIII's new book
Old May 25 2012, 12:22 AM   #744
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I'm reading this: First Shift - Legacy (part 6 of the Silo Series) by Hugh Howey.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 12:22 AM   #745
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I still feel as though Shadow Lord was basically a mish-mash of elements that Laurence Yep enjoyed, with the "Star Trek" label slapped onto it, though.
Well, that's kind of what makes it interesting. Star Trek has always had room in it for a wide range of different types of stories; keep in mind that the original intent was to make it a framework for an anthology-style approach to storytelling, since the starship could take its crew to any kind of environment the writer could conceive. If there's room in the ST format for haunted castles, gangsters, ancient Romans, and so on, there must surely be room for feudal societies and swordfights as well.

Yeah, this is particularly notable in early TOS where you can see them experimenting with different types of storytelling from episode to episode: a monster movie, a submarine thriller, a courtroom drama, a morality play about a fugitive war criminal, a murder mystery, etc.

Last edited by Greg Cox; May 25 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 12:50 AM   #746
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

Oh, believe me, I'm not saying that there's not room in Star Trek for those elements, I'm saying that the author displays an unfamiliarity with Star Trek, so much so that the Trek elements seem forced into a very different kind of story. However, I happily agree that this story could have been done well without the characters acting, well, out-of-character and without blatant disregard for some of the core ideas of Star Trek.
Old May 25 2012, 12:59 AM   #747
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Finished the first of the Star Trek Destiny books. It was pretty good. I liked having a few different main parts of the story. That said, Troi is a complete idiot in this book. I get that there are major emotional issues, but if nothing else the first officer should have demanded she get taken off duty, reguadless of what Riker wants. A counselor thats exposing herself to mortal danger for no reason is not mentally stable, and shouldn't be on active duty. That said, I still liked the book.

Next, Star Trek - The rings of Time, and the second Destiny book.

Also, I got the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual today. It is awesome, so much cool stuff. I don't care if most of it is considered unoffical, and some of it actually contradicts stuff established later, its great. The Ptolemy, Federation, and Saladin/Hermes classes are awesome. I love all the detail he put into things, like writing the whole Federation constitution, and putting a toilet on the bridge. I was lucky to get a very good copy of the book (for a book printed in the 70's, its in great shape, very solid and not fragile at all) for about $6 with shipping. Its worth 3-4 times as much.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 08:32 PM   #748
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finished A Time to Harvest last night. Pretty good, but the first half of the book was a slow plod through recapping the previous novel. There seemed to be some unnecessary "recaps" of episodes and such throughout the book to. A throwaway reference to DS9 was followed by a one page summary of DS9 the series. And while it is ultimately important to the story, having three separate retellings of "Conundrum" was unnecessary. The back half of the book was solid, though it felt rushed ultimately. The final chapter, much like the final chapter in A Time to Die could probably have been two chapters and let the wrap up of the storyline breathe a little.

Now I'm onto Worlds of Deep Space Nine Volume 2.
Old May 27 2012, 12:39 AM   #749
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I finished First Shift - Legacy and now need to choose a book from my collection to read.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 05:38 AM   #750
sportzkid
Rear Admiral

View sportzkid's Twitter Profile

I am just starting Forgotten History, the second book in Department of Temporal Investigations, which I am very excited got a second book.
sportzkid is offline   Reply With Quote