Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 28 2012, 09:54 PM   #496
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Lunarflower wrote: View Post
Currently Star Trek: Vangaurd: Storming Heaven by David Mack.

I was reading The Agency: The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee. Which I will finish after Vangaurd.

I also still need to finish A Game of Thrones, and an Assassin's Creed novel, which have been abandoned for a while.
Game of Thrones yes, but the AC novels aren't worth the bother.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 06:44 AM   #497
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

"Tunnel in the Sky" impressed me with various characters and portrayals, especially given it was written in 1955. On the other hand, I felt that "Farnham's Freehold," given situations and certain characters, left more questions than answers...especially in regards to plot thingys.

I am still looking to read Heinlein's "Variable Star" (which I attained in a surprising manner) as well as some other books and short story collections. And, I may read "The Door Through Summer Again"...someday...since I'm in a conundrum of what to actually read next.

He--Heinlein--seems to have a certain curious theme, which I've noticed other readers of Heinlein have caught.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 09:27 AM   #498
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Last Rites by Shaun Hutson
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 01:56 PM   #499
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Reading: Storming Heaven by David Mack. The end of the Vanguard series, so far it is awesome
Old March 31 2012, 04:29 PM   #500
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Finished Storming Heaven a few minutes ago. Next up: The Vanguard series bible.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 08:57 PM   #501
captcalhoun
Admiral

re-read of Seven Deadly Sins
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 09:18 PM   #502
Sho
Fleet Captain

I finished Summon the Thunder (review in thread soon) and then took a short break from Vanguard to read the first book in the The Hunger Games trilogy, since I like stories with strong female protagonists and survival situations (one of the "sins" of my youth was co-operating one of the then-largest websites covering the Tomb Raider franchise, incidentally, and one of my favorite movies is Touching the Void) and thought I might go like to see the movie, but always prefer to have read the source material first.

I found its premise to feel very derivative (Battle Royale, Running Man, Das Millionenspiel, various others came to mind) and logically flawed (oppressing a people by keeping its most-likely-to-rebel adolescent generation in constant battle-readyness seems like a bad plan), but the book is nonetheless quite entertaining. Collins' prose is clear, effective and not without wit, and her protagonist does come alive very well and is ultimately the story's saving grace. I guess I will go see that movie.

Next it's back to the Taurus Reach for me with Reap the Whirlwind.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 09:54 PM   #503
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Just finished re-reading Q&A by Keith R.A. DeCandido. While the novel was as excellently written as ever, with some welcome cameos from the Titan crew, Gorkon crew and Admiral Shelby, it just didn't really fire me up. The new crew members were introduced well and a nice dynamic was built up, especially with Kadohata and Leybenzon. Of course we all know what happens there.

As far as the story goes. It was nice of KRAD to tie all of Q's appearances across the series and make it a coherent narrative with his testing humanity. Even explaining "Qpid" away with Q just wanting to see Picard in tights. However, I feel it just fell a bit flat really, some nice banter with Q, but I've read better Q novels (cf. Q-in-Law). Score = 3 out of 5

Next up is a return to the good ship Titan for Orion's Hounds and lets see what Mr. Bennett has in store for us.
Old March 31 2012, 10:10 PM   #504
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

Reading The Battle of Betazed. Enjoying it so far - heard a lot about this Vaughn guy, so nice to finally see him in action. Tales of the Dominion War is up next.
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 03:40 AM   #505
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Vanguard: Harbinger by David Mack. Finally.

Yeah, I know, I'm doing this wrong. Reading the first book just as the last one is coming out? Madness.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 03:56 AM   #506
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ At least we don't have to wait .
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 04:36 AM   #507
Reanok
Commodore

I just finishe dreading Confessor by terry Goodkind and Startrek ds9 Heart of the warrior by John Betancourt. Reading right now Startrek Ring of Time by Greg Cox. and Titanic book reprinted newspaper articles from 100 years ago about the Titanic disaster and interviews with the survivors.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 09:22 PM   #508
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Just finished Voyager: Spirit Walk: Old Wounds. It's not great, but it was more enjoyable than I had imagined based on a lot of the comments I see on the board. I started in on Spirit Walk: Enemy of My Enemy and already it feels padded out.
Old April 1 2012, 09:49 PM   #509
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Just finished Children of the Storm, finally. I bought it back in May or June last year, but this past week was the first time I made myself focus on it. Glad I did; Beyer remains excellent. Can't say I expected the Cambridge/Seven scene, but it will prove to be interesting, I'm sure.

Now that I've found work, I can get back reading Trek lit. I've missed everything since Children and DTI. I understand I have some Vanguard novels to look forward to, as well as a new Greg Cox novel..

(I don't have an e-reader and harrumph at the very idea of them, so I can't access the ebook-exclusive Typhon Pact novels.. for now. Maybe once they have two or three novellas they'll issue them as a paperback collection?)
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 02:49 AM   #510
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I've actually never read this one. I stopped reading after Half-Blood Prince because I read them all back to back and I was burnt out, but I'm glad I saved this one for so long. It's like returning to an old friend.