Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 26 2014, 03:05 PM   #4036
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Caught up with a few lately.

MR MERCEDES by Stephen King was mostly OK, a nice enough crime thriller rather than horror, but still somehow lacking. It was somewhat slow and padded, and we know King can do better than that from the modern pulps he's done for Hard Case Crime, but worst of all, every twist - especially the fridging - was spectacularly obvious and predictable. So, always nice to read his writing, but could be way better.

THE LOVECRAFT ANTHOLOGY VOL. 1 is a graphic novel from Selfmade Hero, edited by Dan Lockwood. Doing HPL in a visual medium is always an iffy prospect, because the creatures are supposed to be so freaky that they will drive viewers mad, and any actual visual representation of them is just too twee- I mean, just look at the chibi Cthulhu's you can get. This set of seven adaptations starts off making exactly that mistake, and using the typical Cthulhu design, put edited versions of the narrations. It soon improves, however, after two or three stories. The art is variable, and experimental might be a kind word to use, yet all fits their stories, so I can't complain: it all does the job it's meant to. The collection does improve as it goes on, with The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Rats In The Walls doing the best job at conveying the Lovecraft feel.

ADVENTURES WITH THE WIFE IN SPACE by Neil (and occasionally Sue) Perryman is a fun read, covering the life of a Dr Who fan, and how one of the best Dr Who blogs came about. Thankfully it's not just a compilation of the blog, but a memoir. It's a bit weird reading a memoir written by someone who's neither a celebrity nor a world changer in some field like science or military campaigning or whatever, but it is funny, sometimes touching, sometimes wince-inducing in an all too understandable way (I doubt it really will convey to non-fans just how vicious some of fandom is, but it has its moments) and ultimately reassuring that real people are actually just good people. Definitely recommended, and - a bit like About A Boy or something - I can kind of see this becoming a 90 minute TV docudrama someday. Maybe for the 75th anniversary...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 04:15 PM   #4037
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Picked up three months worth of comics yesterday. Really enjoying the new Ms. MARVEL comic and the BUFFY comic is more fun than it has been for awhile.
Old August 26 2014, 04:48 PM   #4038
John Clark
Commodore

I'm about half way through "I shall fear no evil" by Bob Heinlein.

After that, it's the next Seekers novel and then (probably) the latest Andy McDermott novel, Kingdom of Darkness.
Old August 27 2014, 09:37 AM   #4039
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

As part of my re-reading the Titan series I just started "Destiny" yesterday. It actually tastes better the second time
Old August 27 2014, 08:24 PM   #4040
Reanok
Commodore

I'm reading Star Trek Seekers book 2.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 06:12 AM   #4041
JD5000
Commander

Book 2 is out? I pre-ordered, I'll have to check on that. I'm currently reading the second Vanguard novel, "Summon The Thunder". I like it just as much as the first novel in the series. I usually find a little comfort in the familiarity of the characters in novels directly based on the various TV series, but the characters in Vanguard are well-written and easy to identify with. After 1.2 novels, I already feel as comfortable with them as I do McCoy, Picard, Tuvok or Kira.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 05:28 PM   #4042
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

I just posted my review of Seekers #1 by David Mack, and right now I'm reading Seekers #2 by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore. Loving this new series so far!
Old August 31 2014, 09:59 PM   #4043
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I'm almost done with TOS: The More Things Change. It's like an episode of the second-five-year-mission series we never got.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 12:59 AM   #4044
Marika
Lieutenant

Reading again DESTINY because when i started to read trek lit i read DESTINY first because i thought it was a TITAN continuity only , then i got trapped in a temporal loop and after reading all the books after the trilogy now i read those before. so i ended up re reading all the stuff , because now makes sense lol
Marika is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 02:11 AM   #4045
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'm nearing the end of Tunnel Through the Stars, then on to Tales of the Dominion War.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 04:11 AM   #4046
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Reading the final trade paperback of Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi today. Force Storm seems to be a good finale to that series. Very excited to start on the free copy of Star Wars: A New Dawn that I received today.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 02:58 PM   #4047
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Marika wrote: View Post
Reading again DESTINY because when i started to read trek lit i read DESTINY first because i thought it was a TITAN continuity only , then i got trapped in a temporal loop and after reading all the books after the trilogy now i read those before. so i ended up re reading all the stuff , because now makes sense lol
I'm reading "Destiny" again too

About half way through Book 3.

In my case Destiny was one of the first Trek lit books I ever read, so now, when I am familiar with the crews and whatnot after reading all those other things, Destiny tastes a lot better than the first time (and it was delicious back then too!).
Old September 3 2014, 03:36 PM   #4048
zarkon
Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
ADVENTURES WITH THE WIFE IN SPACE by Neil (and occasionally Sue) Perryman is a fun read, covering the life of a Dr Who fan, and how one of the best Dr Who blogs came about. Thankfully it's not just a compilation of the blog, but a memoir. It's a bit weird reading a memoir written by someone who's neither a celebrity nor a world changer in some field like science or military campaigning or whatever, but it is funny, sometimes touching, sometimes wince-inducing in an all too understandable way (I doubt it really will convey to non-fans just how vicious some of fandom is, but it has its moments) and ultimately reassuring that real people are actually just good people. Definitely recommended, and - a bit like About A Boy or something - I can kind of see this becoming a 90 minute TV docudrama someday. Maybe for the 75th anniversary...
Sue's Who reviews are pretty much the most accurate I've seen.
Old September 3 2014, 03:38 PM   #4049
2of1million
Captain

Reanok wrote: View Post
I'm reading Star Trek Seekers book 2.
I am as well.
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 04:23 PM   #4050
Marika
Lieutenant

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Marika wrote: View Post
I'm reading "Destiny" again too

About half way through Book 3.

In my case Destiny was one of the first Trek lit books I ever read, so now, when I am familiar with the crews and whatnot after reading all those other things, Destiny tastes a lot better than the first time (and it was delicious back then too!).
exactly!
Marika is online now   Reply With Quote