Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support

Ryan Joins Arrow

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 8 2014, 07:35 AM   #3991
JD5000
Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I've been reading Harbringer, the first Vanguard novel. I really like it, but I'm kind of hoping to finish it soon so I can move on to The Light Fantastic and the first "Seekers" novel that have been queued up on my Kindle. I'll get back to Vanguard after I read those novels.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:04 PM   #3992
kirk55555
Commodore

I got Q&A, and finished it a few days ago. It was a very enjoyable story focused on Q. It didn't dethrone the Q-Continuum trilogy as my favorite Q book story, but it was good. I like how it tied his appearances together, but I also like how it didn't negate the idea that, sometimes, Q just likes to mess with Picard for no reason

It was actually a bit weird to get into the stuff on the Enterprise-E, because I'm used to the current novelverse stuff, so I wasn't familiar with the replacement Enterprise-E crewmembers in this book (Miranda Kadohata, T'Lana and Zelik Leybenzon), since they definitely weren't on the ship by the time the Typhoon Pact came around.

Looking on memory-beta, all three eventually went off the deep end, so good riddance to them (and I actually liked Kadohata). I also learned while looking them up that I should avoid Before Dishonor like the plague (I guess even Peter David can have an off day, the book sounds downright revolting and Peter David's stuff is usually excellent). Honestly, it seems like every book post Nemesis that featured the borg was terrible, although Before Dishonor seems like something I'd hate less for what the borg did and more because it has the three crewmembers in question doing something that could never, ever happen, especially on the Enterprise (outside of some kind of alien mind control of the whole crew).

So, overall, I enjoyed Q&A quite a bit, although knowing that a few of the newer characters are horrible, horrible people makes me wish they hadn't been given so much time in the book.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 11:06 PM   #3993
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

The mailman just delivered my IDW #29, 30, and 35.

So, I'm going to be reading those later on this afternoon.

(And, according to an email from the comic store I bought the above from: #36 is available).
Old August 11 2014, 09:15 AM   #3994
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I just started "The Black Shore" by Greg Cox.
Old August 11 2014, 10:37 AM   #3995
RoB
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just finished DTI: Forgotten History. The next one is The Sundered from the Lost Era series.
RoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 04:52 PM   #3996
Reanok
Commodore

I'm reading Star Trek Vanguard Precipice by David Mack. A lot of action is certainly happening with the charcters in the first few chapters in this book.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 03:12 AM   #3997
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

just finished reading no time like the past,(a time travel seven meet captain kirk),and flesh and stone a trek comic.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 03:13 AM   #3998
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Being Human: The Road.

I'm currently reading (and nearly finished with) Star Trek: The More Things Change by Scott Pearson.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 11:45 PM   #3999
roseake
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I finished Death in Winter a few days ago and it was nothing special if I'm honest; rather boring actually.

But I've just started Taking Wing and I love it so far. The Titan is shaping up to have a great crew and I'm so hoping that the likes of Dr Ree and Melora Pazlar will stick around for a good while (although, I'm not sure how likely that is).
roseake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 05:13 PM   #4000
John Clark
Commodore

Finished a re-read of Red October (Clancy) this morning. It's been a while, but still enjoyed it.

Currently it's Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber
Old August 14 2014, 02:06 AM   #4001
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I am halfway into To Reign in Hell, the third Khan novel, which just arrived in the post yesterday.
DS9 CapCon #118: Houston, We've Had a Problem Here
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 02:42 AM   #4002
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Just finished a 70s Trek novel The Price of the Phoenix. Really good. Made me fall in love with the Romulan Commander all over again, she has a really strong role there as a full equal with Kirk and Spock. The homoerotic subtext was jaw droppingly strong, much more blatant and titillating than the famous Killing Time first printing. I loved every minute of it, but I'm still amazed it got printed. The subtext is just about official enough in this one to just be considered text. At the very least there's a strong objectification of Kirk - he's stripped naked against his will - twice! if you count his transporter clone imaginatively called James, who mind melds with Spock while naked. It's crazy, but an action packed brisk read.
Old August 14 2014, 03:44 AM   #4003
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Finished Vanguard's Harbinger and I was very satisfied with it. It felt like it dragged on a bit at times and I can say unfortunately that there are some dry parts, mostly with Pennington, that I just skipped over. Overall it was lovely and I'll be definitely looking into the rest of the series.

I'm currently reading through the first book of My Brother's Keeper, Republic, and I really do love it. It fleshes out Mitchell and really makes Where No Man Has Gone Before quite was.
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 03:17 PM   #4004
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Star Trek: The More Things Change.

I then read the first Falling Skies comic, which is a prequel to the first season.

I'm now reading The Cold Dish, the first in the Walt Longmire series, by Craig Johnson.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 03:52 PM   #4005
xavier
Commander

Star Fleet Academy
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote