Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 29 2014, 10:18 PM   #3961
JD5000
Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Reading has been going slow lately. I'm just about done with The Captain's Table by various authors. It's a pretty cool book. It deals with stories told by Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Calhoun, and Pike as told in the setting of a bar that exists out of time and space in the company of other captains of other vessels.

Awesome concept. Through most of the book, it really did feel as if the main character/narrator was telling the story to me over a glass of "bier" or Saurian brandy. The exception was Diane Carey's Janeway bit, which didn't fit in with the other stories in terms of style, and I don't think that she really captured the Janeway character. She felt really contrived, more like a stereotype than an actual person, whereas the other captains were portrayed to a tee. I liked how in the other five stories, there were breaks that brought you back to the Captain's Table and made the audience part of the story. The themes of each story evolve and mutate throughout the book, each building on previous ones so that even though it's six separate stories, they each tie into each other and give more and more 'Aha!' moments as you read. I think that this is the best co-authored Star Trek book I've read to date and definitely recommend it.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 02:08 AM   #3962
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Almost done with The Taking by Dean Koontz. First of his works that I have read. It was definitely a fast read, though I'm unsure right now where the story can possibly end up.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 03:44 PM   #3963
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

JD5000: there was a followup anthology that I put together in 2005 that includes some captains who were added to the pantheon after 1998: Riker (put in command of the Titan in Nemesis), Chakotay (promoted to captain in the post-finale Voyager novels), Shelby (promoted to captain in the New Frontier: Excalibur trilogy), Demora Sulu (promoted to captain in The Lost Era: Serpents of the Ruins), Archer (from Enterprise), Kira (made a captain in Unity), plus using the captains of three (at the time) new book series: Stargazer (Picard), Starfleet Corps of Engineers (Gold), and I.K.S. Gorkon (Klag).

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 04:17 PM   #3964
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Almost done with The Taking by Dean Koontz. First of his works that I have read. It was definitely a fast read, though I'm unsure right now where the story can possibly end up.
One of my favourite of Koontz's book. An interesting ending. I didn't expect it at all.
Old July 30 2014, 11:31 PM   #3965
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

Silver Shadows: A Bloodlines Novel by Richelle Mead.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 11:58 PM   #3966
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Finally got started on the Veronica Mars novel and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Warning: You definitely want to read this novel after you've seen the movie. It picks up shortly after the movie, which means there are plenty of spoilers about the movie.
Old July 31 2014, 01:01 AM   #3967
Christopher
Writer

^I gather that the novel started as an outline for the movie, but then they decided they needed the movie to start earlier and set up the new status quo, so the outline became a novel.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 01:44 AM   #3968
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I gather that the novel started as an outline for the movie, but then they decided they needed the movie to start earlier and set up the new status quo, so the outline became a novel.
Interesting!

It will be odd if they make a second movie, because the novel is dealing with a lot of the aftermath of the first one--which they would also have to deal with in any movie sequel.
Old July 31 2014, 01:59 AM   #3969
Christopher
Writer

^They might just adapt the novel into a movie.

Old July 31 2014, 12:04 PM   #3970
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Sadly, my reading has been somewhat Trekless. I have recently read about 40 short stories from what would be available in various short fiction textbooks. I am reading "The Christian Ethic of War" by P. T. Forsyth (1916) which might be WW I propaganda, heresy, or sound doctrine. Hope to read "A Singular Destiny" by Keith R. A. DeCandido (2009) sometime soon. Have a ticket for "Guardians of the Galaxy" for 14 or 15 hours from now. TNG is available from Netflix for the time being. Hope to get into the series as I have definitely missed a number of episodes.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 12:38 PM   #3971
Killie
Lieutenant

View Killie's Twitter Profile

I finished the Star Trek novel "Shadow Lord" by Laurence Yep and if you are interested my review is here.

I have to be honest and say it isn't very good as a Star Trek novel.
Old July 31 2014, 07:15 PM   #3972
JD5000
Commander

Thanks Keith, I'll put on the short list for summer reading.

KRAD wrote: View Post
JD5000: there was a followup anthology that I put together in 2005 that includes some captains who were added to the pantheon after 1998: Riker (put in command of the Titan in Nemesis), Chakotay (promoted to captain in the post-finale Voyager novels), Shelby (promoted to captain in the New Frontier: Excalibur trilogy), Demora Sulu (promoted to captain in The Lost Era: Serpents of the Ruins), Archer (from Enterprise), Kira (made a captain in Unity), plus using the captains of three (at the time) new book series: Stargazer (Picard), Starfleet Corps of Engineers (Gold), and I.K.S. Gorkon (Klag).
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 08:06 PM   #3973
Reanok
Commodore

I'm reading Jupiter by Ben Bova.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 09:13 PM   #3974
roseake
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View roseake's Twitter Profile

I've just started Death in Winter since finishing TNG and the movies.

But I'm wondering, what would people recommend as a reading order between TNG novels and TTN novels up to Destiny? Should I continue onto Resistance, Q&A etc to Greater Than The Sum, and then go back to Taking Wing? Or should I switch back and forth, read one from each series alternately?
roseake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 09:54 PM   #3975
Christopher
Writer

Storywise, the TNG and TTN books don't intersect between Nemesis and Destiny, so you don't have to read them in chronological order. But chronologically speaking, the order after Death in Winter would be the first three TTN books (Taking Wing, The Red King, Orion's Hounds) followed by the first three TNG-R books (Resistance, Q & A, Before Dishonor), then TTN: Sword of Damocles, then TNG: Greater Than the Sum, then Destiny. Though from a story-flow perspective, it might be better to read the first four TTN books, then the four TNG-R books, then Destiny.