RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 144,416
Posts: 5,671,107
Members: 25,611
Currently online: 463
Newest member: kenyatbes

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Parallax
By: Michelle on Apr 17

New ThinkGeek Trek Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Online Adds Voyager Actor
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Project Enterprise Campaign Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Star Trek Live In Concert Update
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Crofoot: Angel One And The Offspring
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 14 2014, 04:38 AM   #3781
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

JD5000 wrote: View Post
I was disappointed that the last 20% of the eBook was just a list of Trek books in order, something I can easily get off the internet, I was hoping for more story.
I got the Star Wars book "Choices of One" by Tim Zahn for kindle -- when it's showing 75% through the book ends. The remaining 25% was a timeline and excerpts of other novels. Star Wars novels are notorious for that.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 04:08 PM   #3782
2of1million
Captain
 
Location: Canada
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just started Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King.
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:39 PM   #3783
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Currently reading Doctor Who: Tales of Trenzalore.
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:40 PM   #3784
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
I was disappointed that the last 20% of the eBook was just a list of Trek books in order, something I can easily get off the internet, I was hoping for more story.
I got the Star Wars book "Choices of One" by Tim Zahn for kindle -- when it's showing 75% through the book ends. The remaining 25% was a timeline and excerpts of other novels. Star Wars novels are notorious for that.
It really weirds me out when people complain about this. I read an amazon review of one of these that was like "I paid for 100% of a book, not 75% of a book plus a bunch of other stuff." No, you actually got the whole book, same as everyone else, they just added a bunch of extra stuff at the end because size is free when you're publishing an ebook.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:53 PM   #3785
trampledamage
Clone
 
trampledamage's Avatar
 
Location: hitching a ride to Erebor
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

It is very annoying when you're reading the book, though, and you think "cool, there's at least 2 chapters left because there's 50 pages to go, I wonder what the next twist will be" and then reach the end of the book 2 pages later.
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 01:30 AM   #3786
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Actually there are some people who would consider it a spoiler to know they were nearly at the end of a book, and would thus appreciate not knowing how many pages were left.

Besides, countless print books have had extra material after the end of the story, whether afterwords or appendices or previews of future books or advertisements or whatever.
__________________
Written Worlds -- My blog and webpage
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 01:47 AM   #3787
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

It does seem like a weird perceptual thing, Kind of like getting to the end of The Wrath of Khan on DVD and discovering a few extra bonus features.

"Hey, what gives? I thought I was getting an entire DVD's worth of movie! What a rip-off!"

Then again, I've never tried reading an ebook so what do I know?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:19 AM   #3788
trampledamage
Clone
 
trampledamage's Avatar
 
Location: hitching a ride to Erebor
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Oh, well I wasn't just talking about e-books, I was talking about any book where the last chunk isn't the novel. When I'm immersed in the world of a book and it comes to an abrupt end, it bothers me.


It's a compliment to your skills as writers by the way, I don't want to leave the story
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 05:15 AM   #3789
Slyvon
Lieutenant
 
Slyvon's Avatar
 
Location: Cincinnati
View Slyvon's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I haven't posted on this thread in a while, mostly because I had a whole mess of books to read all a once. Continuing my quests to read all the Star Trek books in order, I finished with the DS9 books, and decided it was time to dive into TNG books. So I started with the 9 part "A time to..." miniseries!

Overall I thought it was an excellent books set. Its the kind of series that gives everyone an chance in the spotlight, and provides a ton of opportunities to bring back old characters, enemies, past plot points. The stand outs were Mack and DeCandido (7-9), although I thought John Vornholt did a great job as the lead off writer. Those first two books really stayed with me.

One thing I have to say about DeCandido is his strength at writing long complex conversations. Near the end of war/peace there's a scene with the entire TNG cast, Ross from DS9, Alexander, Scotty, Vale, and Nan Bacco! That could have been a mess of a scene but under Krad it works wonderfully. It's why he's become one of my favorite writers of any genre.

Next up I'll be rereading Articles of the Federation and then onto TNG book Death in Winter!

-Chris
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 09:17 AM   #3790
NightJim
Commander
 
NightJim's Avatar
 
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Started Double Helix: Red Sector. About eight chapters in... and so far we're dealing with a hyperspace problem and not a virus?!? Plenty of time for it to turn around, but seems a little odd, especially since Spock has only really had a cameo so far as well.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 06:33 AM   #3791
JD5000
Captain
 
JD5000's Avatar
 
Location: Jackson, WY
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Oh, well I wasn't just talking about e-books, I was talking about any book where the last chunk isn't the novel. When I'm immersed in the world of a book and it comes to an abrupt end, it bothers me.


It's a compliment to your skills as writers by the way, I don't want to leave the story
Exactly, I got what I paid for. It wasn't my wallet bitchin, it was my imagination!

Almost done with the 4th book of the Invasion! series, will probably finish it this evening. Overall, I really enjoyed it. To be fair, I rarely dislike Trek books. At least the ones I've read so far. I suppose if I had to pick, I liked the DS9 novel the least, but I guess it was necessary to give some depth to the 'viroids'. I really enjoyed the Furies as villains in this series, its hard to top a manifestion and reasonable explanation of mankind's deepest rooted fears. The TOS book was my favorite, the Klingon captain and Fury Verod (sp?) were great characters. They reminded me of 'The One', but with more sympathetic qualities and depth.

One line struck me in the TNG novel as particularly poignant. The more vicious captain of the Fury force in that novel said something to the effect of "You have met us, but not our kind" (paraphrased) which led me to think that there were separate malevolent\benevolent types of Furies, example of a more forward-thinking Fury being the captain of the Fury ship in the first book of the series. I'm not done yet, so maybe this is a plot twist waiting to unravel, but if not, i think it would have been a great direction to go with the Fury plot device.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 05:27 PM   #3792
voyager1
Lieutenant
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

C. Cole-Chakotay wrote: View Post
Voyager1, have you read Pathways by Jeri Taylor? It's really good. I consider it and Mosaic the two best Voyager books.
I have not read Pathways yet. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 09:57 PM   #3793
seigezunt
Vice Admiral
 
seigezunt's Avatar
 
Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

After giving up on the Time to ... series a few months ago (at the last book! Just couldn't take it anymore) I decided to jump ahead to Destiny.

Um, maybe I need to rewind a bit. Holy Exposition, Batman.
__________________
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 10:05 PM   #3794
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

A lot of what's new in Destiny is actually new, though. Like, there's a lot of exposition about Ezri, but that's not recap, that's not in any prior book.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 04:15 AM   #3795
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
I was disappointed that the last 20% of the eBook was just a list of Trek books in order, something I can easily get off the internet, I was hoping for more story.
I got the Star Wars book "Choices of One" by Tim Zahn for kindle -- when it's showing 75% through the book ends. The remaining 25% was a timeline and excerpts of other novels. Star Wars novels are notorious for that.
It really weirds me out when people complain about this. I read an amazon review of one of these that was like "I paid for 100% of a book, not 75% of a book plus a bunch of other stuff." No, you actually got the whole book, same as everyone else, they just added a bunch of extra stuff at the end because size is free when you're publishing an ebook.
I didn't say I got cheated somehow. I was just disappointed since I thought there'd be 25% more book left and I was enjoying it.

trampledamage wrote: View Post
It is very annoying when you're reading the book, though, and you think "cool, there's at least 2 chapters left because there's 50 pages to go, I wonder what the next twist will be" and then reach the end of the book 2 pages later.
Exactly so.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Besides, countless print books have had extra material after the end of the story, whether afterwords or appendices or previews of future books or advertisements or whatever.
Yes, in the whole of human history regarding the written word I'm sure you're right. The problem is we're talking about ST/SW books and this isn't the norm - or at least it wasn't for SW pre-ebooks. I can assure you no print Star Wars prose book had 25% of its content be material of this type.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.