February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 29 2014, 05:45 AM   #3691
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finished out Bernice Summerfield and the Dead Men Diaries. A pretty good anthology and a rather quick read. The framing elements by Paul Cornell were great. A lot of the stories are decent, the first 5 are strong. Kate Orman's tale is definitely the stand out. Carloine Symcox's is also pretty great. The best one is Stephen Moffat's tale, which bears a bit of a similarity to "The Girl in the Fireplace." For the first publishing effort of Big Finish back in 1999, it's pretty good. Though it's rife with typos and some awkward phrasing. I'm about 30 pages into Bernice Summerfield and the Doomsday Manuscript. There's a rather fun "Pamphlet" at the front of it but the first chapter is quite hard to get through.

I also started the new Beowulf translation by JRR Tolkien. I say "new," but as the translation is nearly 88 years old... I've only managed to get through the Preface and Introduction (which... probably should have been condensed into one document. But it's not a post-humous Tolkien release if you don't have to slog through the overly formal Christopher Tolkien editorializing.) I did read the first page of the translation and I quite like the style. Can't wait to read the main body tomorrow.

I also managed to bang out the Star Trek: Khan comic collection. It's enjoyable. On par with Countdown and Nero in terms of quality, a lot better than the regular comics series. Indeed it even manages to "make up" for some deficiencies in the scripting of Into Darkness.

I have a whole host of Graphic Novels and novels on the horizon, but I'm hoping to get to X-Men: No More HUmans and Black Canary & Zatanna: Bloodspell this week.
Old May 29 2014, 06:58 AM   #3692
JD5000
Commander

I'm starting on the Gateways series of novels, I just finished the first TOS-based book in the series that was non-memorable enough that I don't recall the title or the author, although I finished it this afternoon. That said, it was solid comfort entertainment, the plot made sense and the author had a decent sense of the main character's personalities, although I would have liked a little more about the history of the Petraw and their motivations. The novel was comfortably cheesy just like the TV episodes, and I read every word and went on to buy the next two books in the series.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 07:47 AM   #3693
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Gateways is a great series. Except part way through the series I got the definite belief that I have been here before. Hmmm. Is deja-vu just a matter of one side of the brain registering the thought slightly out-of-phase with the other side of the brain?
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 01:44 PM   #3694
indianatrekker26
Captain

I'm halfway through a re-read of TNG: Greater than the Sum. I haven't read it since it first came out. This book hits me so differently now, especially Picard's struggling to want children. Now that I have a son (11 months old), I can understand even more what Picard is going through. Just great writing, Christopher. From there, i'll just keep plowing forward with the Post-Nemesis stuff, by using the great Flow Chart.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 02:03 PM   #3695
Christopher
Writer

ronny wrote: View Post
I'll say this, I did like The Murdered Sun the most out of the first 7 numbered Voyager books. I think it was because Golden made Neelix and Kes bit players in the story.
Whereas I like Golden's next VGR novel, the Kes-centric Marooned, even better.

The plot wasn't bad either. Probably my favorite Golden Voyager novel but that is a pretty low bar.
Back then, Golden's novels were considered the best of the VGR tie-ins by a considerable margin. That's why she got the post-finale gig.

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
I'm halfway through a re-read of TNG: Greater than the Sum. I haven't read it since it first came out. This book hits me so differently now, especially Picard's struggling to want children. Now that I have a son (11 months old), I can understand even more what Picard is going through. Just great writing, Christopher.
Thanks!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 05:35 PM   #3696
indianatrekker26
Captain

I'm halfway through a re-read of TNG: Greater than the Sum. I haven't read it since it first came out. This book hits me so differently now, especially Picard's struggling to want children. Now that I have a son (11 months old), I can understand even more what Picard is going through. Just great writing, Christopher.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

so I can keep giving you compliments, Christopher, I love that you brought Hugh back in this. I always hated how they brought him back in Descent.
Your book has also made me accept the new crew members like Kadohata and Choudhurry. The earlier books made me lerry towards having new characters "invade" my TNG crew. But you really were the first author to make these people believable and just as real to me as Picard, Geordi, etc.
I got a kick out of the chapter where you pretty much acknowledged the fact that more women than men were in the command chain now.
Old May 29 2014, 06:09 PM   #3697
John Clark
Commodore

Since I last posted here, I've been through all but one of the Robert Asprin Myth series (Enjoyed most of them but the latter ones weren't as good as the earlier ones)

The Troy Rising series by John Ringo (preferred others I've read of his)

A couple of Eric Flint novels (The Saxon Uprising & The Eastern Front ones) - Good as ever.

Tower of Babel by Christopher Bennett (Good)

Serpents in the Garden by Jeff Marriotte (good)

Pirates of the Caribbean - The Price of Freedom by A C Crispin (and I enjoyed that too)

Like a Mighty Army - David Weber (Great - but I'm slightly hooked by both his Safehold and Honorverse series so YMMV)

There's been a coupe of others, but those are the main ones.

Next up is either One Constant Star by DRG3 or The Thousand Tan Line by Rob Thomas/Jennifer Graham
Old May 29 2014, 07:18 PM   #3698
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Your book has also made me accept the new crew members like Kadohata and Choudhurry. The earlier books made me lerry towards having new characters "invade" my TNG crew. But you really were the first author to make these people believable and just as real to me as Picard, Geordi, etc.
Well, that's disappointing. I was trying really hard in Q & A to integrate Kadohata, Leybenzon, and T'Lana into the crew. Sorry it didn't work for you.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 08:29 PM   #3699
indianatrekker26
Captain

KRAD wrote: View Post
Well, that's disappointing. I was trying really hard in Q & A to integrate Kadohata, Leybenzon, and T'Lana into the crew. Sorry it didn't work for you.
oh I do remember that now. sorry, Krad, hadn't read Q & A since it first came out. I think Peter David's Before Dishonor left a horribly bad taste in my mouth. I remember that now. You introduced them, then Peter basically destroyed everything you created, until Christopher did his damage control. If I have time, i'll probably go back and re-read Q&A. I go on vacation in 2 weeks, and I really want to take Destiny with me. I haven't read that one since it first came out, but I remember loving it. I figured it would make good summer vacation reading, before I continue on with the Post-Nemesis stuff.
Old May 29 2014, 09:28 PM   #3700
Lonemagpie
Writer

Read Drive by James Sallis.

Pretty good short and sharp bit of modern noir, I thought. Has its problems - the non-linear structure has some shakes (notably the first time the POV switches to someone other than Driver) - and the first half really feels like a set of loosely connected vignettes rather than a novel, but in the end it all pulls together very well. Definitely a worthy successor to the likes of James M Cain and his ilk.

Also, I never thought I'd see anybody really do car stunts well in a prose novel, but here's the gold standard set for the future...

I gather the movie Drive is based on this, so I'm more keen to check that out now...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 03:09 AM   #3701
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Going to start face the music a life exposed by kiss frontman paul"star child"stanley
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 05:35 AM   #3702
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'll say this, I did like The Murdered Sun the most out of the first 7 numbered Voyager books. I think it was because Golden made Neelix and Kes bit players in the story.
Whereas I like Golden's next VGR novel, the Kes-centric Marooned, even better.

The plot wasn't bad either. Probably my favorite Golden Voyager novel but that is a pretty low bar.
Back then, Golden's novels were considered the best of the VGR tie-ins by a considerable margin. That's why she got the post-finale gig.
OK then, maybe I have something to look forward to. I'm half way through the VOY numbered books and was thinking the only good one of what was left was going to be the Greg Cox novel.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 07:32 AM   #3703
JD5000
Commander

Keith - if it makes you feel any better, I had a few days without net access between my last book and starting Gateways, so I re-read the IKS Gorkon series. I enjoyed it even more on a re-read than I did the first time, and I thought it was a great read last year when I picked it up.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:43 PM   #3704
Killie
Lieutenant

View Killie's Twitter Profile

Finally read the first ever Star Trek book, "Star Trek 1" by James Blish.

Review is here.

Overall, was nice to remind myself of the original series episodes but some of them just didn't translate to written form.
Old May 30 2014, 01:53 PM   #3705
Christopher
Writer

OK then, maybe I have something to look forward to. I'm half way through the VOY numbered books and was thinking the only good one of what was left was going to be the Greg Cox novel.
Well, if you didn't like The Murdered Sun, you might not like the rest of Golden's output either. But I still think her books were among the best of the during-the-series VGR novels.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote