Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 20 2014, 03:46 PM   #3661
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I just purchased No Time Like the Past by Greg Cox on Saturday. I just finished Who Killed Homer?.

(The academics did it, in the library, with jargon and esoterica.)
DS9 CapCon #106: Let the Games Begin!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 06:24 PM   #3662
Tarheel
Lieutenant Commander

View Tarheel's Twitter Profile

I finished Ashes Of Eden by Shatner last week. I took a few days off and binge watched recent seasons of Veep and Californication. Now back to reading but I haven't decided what to grab off the shelf yet.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 07:53 PM   #3663
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile

I reread The Romulan Way for the first time in a while last week, and enjoyed it so much I decided to reread the rest of the Rihannsu books. Finished Swordhunt/Honor Blade yesterday and now I'm on The Empty Chair.
Old May 20 2014, 09:05 PM   #3664
Christopher
Writer

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
...and now I'm on The Empty Chair.
But... but... if you're on it, how can it be empty???

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 01:32 AM   #3665
Destructor
Commodore

Tarheel wrote: View Post
I finished Ashes Of Eden by Shatner last week. I took a few days off and binge watched recent seasons of Veep and Californication. Now back to reading but I haven't decided what to grab off the shelf yet.
'The Return' would be the obvious choice.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 04:54 AM   #3666
BritishSeaPower
Captain

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finally conquered Titan: Fallen Gods. It really seems Martin did not like White-Blue. This is a really terrible book. There's an early focus on another culture that could have been interesting if it had any context or some type of narration linking the behaviors. And then it disappears for what kind of feels like a re-do of Synthesis. The Andorian plot is just sort of there without any really purpose. (Aside from not making sense in general, the idea that SF commands Andorians leave sensitive areas doesn't jibe with stuff from the TNG books and the two Typhon Pact/DS9 books that preceded Fallen God's publication.) It took me 16 days to struggle through it, too.

I'm taking a brief rest from Trek lit to read some Bernice Summerfield novels. In particular, they're the novels that tie heavily into Big Finish's second season of Benny audios. So, currently just past the first story in the Dead Men Diaries collection. Pretty good so far.

I also knocked out the All You Need Is Kill graphic novel adaptation they just put out. It's not great, feels like there's some information missing in adaptation/translation. The art was odd, too. A lot of jagged edges on the lines of characters faces, like it was colored in photoshop and they didn't smooth out the the lines. There's a throwaway reference to Tom Cruise in it, an injoke because the book inspired the forthcoming Edge of Tomorrow. Also, there's a weird joke about the Bechdel test. Two women are talking to each other and get interrupted by a man and one of the women makes a flip comment about checking their Bechdel readings. It was kind of like the adaptor didn't really get the point of the Bechdel test, as it's the only time two women talk the whole 100 pages.
Old May 21 2014, 02:47 PM   #3667
CaptKirk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just finished "Mere Mortals." Now its on to "Lost Souls" to complete the Destiny series.
CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 01:54 AM   #3668
JD
Admiral

I continued my finishing streak today with TNG: Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory. I posted my spoilery review over in the book's thread.
Old May 22 2014, 02:11 AM   #3669
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Since my last post I finished "Iron and Sacrifice" by David R. George III, the Demora Sulu story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table.

I then read "Consequences" by Joseph Lidster, the final story from Torchwood: Consequences.

I followed that up with the last two stories from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table, "Seduced" by Christie Golden about Chakotay, and the David Gold story "An Easy Fast" by John J. Ordover.

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Seasons of Light and Darkness by Michael A. Martin.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 01:10 PM   #3670
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I've been venturing pretty far afield of Star Trek recently, starting the Discworld series and the Shaaras' Civil War Trilogy. Enjoying the hell out of them both.
Old May 23 2014, 07:34 PM   #3671
indianatrekker26
Captain

I'm mid-way through the TNG: A Time to,,, series. Just now starting the Love/Hate duology. Then it's on to the post-Nemesis books, for my summer reading. I'll be using Thrawn's great reading flow chart to make my way through until I'm FINALLY caught up with everything.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 09:56 PM   #3672
Reanok
Commodore

I recently read Star Trek Tos Inception by S.D. Perry & Britta Dennison. Also Star Trek Mu Rise Like Lions by David Mack. I'm now reading Star Trek Vanguard book 3.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 10:23 PM   #3673
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

just finished reading the final draft of a DEADLANDS novel by Jeff Mariotte, due out sometime in the future.
Old May 23 2014, 11:08 PM   #3674
voyager1
Lieutenant

JD wrote: View Post
I just started reading VOY: Distant Shores. I've had this sitting on my shelf unread since it came out, so I decided to finally pull it out and read it.
What did you think of it?
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 02:14 AM   #3675
JD
Admiral

I'm only a few pages into the second story, but so far they've both been good. The first one was an interesting piece following Admiral Janeway's experiences as she is dying at the hands of the Borg Queen in Endgame. I thought it was a nice little character piece. It is a two part story, with the second half at the end.
I'm not really far enough into the second story to really form much of an opinion.