New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 10 2014, 10:44 PM   #3631
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Fer wrote: View Post
Still bouncing back and forth between Star Trek and Star Wars novels. My last book was finishing up the remaining unread short stories from Tales from the Empire.
Is that the one with the "Long live the king?" story?

EDIT: Oh, I've just looked it up. The one I'm thinking of was in Tales From the New Republic.

New Republic, Empire... same thing.
Old May 11 2014, 01:46 AM   #3632
CaptKirk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just finished "The Gods of Night" - the first book in the Destiny series. Very enjoyable and looking forward to finding out more about the Caeliar in "Mere Mortals."
CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 12:53 PM   #3633
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

In the last couple of weeks I've read books two and three of Sara Sheridan's Mirabelle Bevan series, London Calling and England Expects, and her two short stories The Morello Diamonds and London to Edinburgh. Enjoyed this series a lot, so it's a shame that there aren't any more books in the series yet.

Then I read The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. I've read most of Agatha Christie's work, but I've not read any of the Tommy and Tuppence series before. More of an adventure story than one of her traditional mystery stories - though some of the plot developments were a bit far-fetched - e.g. characters saying the first thing that comes into their head, which just happens to be the secret codeword known to the other person. Overall I liked it, though.

I also read a few Agatha Christie short stories - Manx Gold, Death by Drowning, The Hound of Death, The Gypsy and The Lamp.

So I'm now reading Above Suspicion by Lynda La Plante, and The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters, the eighth book in the Cadfael Chronicles.

I'm currently working my way through the fourth season of Enterprise on Blu-Ray, after which I plan to read the two Rise of the Federation books.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 04:41 PM   #3634
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Have four Tor manuscripts to write cover copy for . . . So much for any free reading!
Old May 11 2014, 10:13 PM   #3635
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

The Last Dogs: Dark Waters by Christopher Holt.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 11:11 PM   #3636
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I've got two books (as usual) going.

Starfire by Charles Sheiffeld, and Christopher's excellent Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel.

I know I've said in the past that I wanted to see more Star Trek books get back to telling stories within their respective shows' timeframe (well, except TOS, they're still doing that), but I have to say that ENTERPRISE is the exception to this. I really like the storyline of Archer and his (former) crew setting up the Federation, and I hope it continues.

Of course, if a novel set within the four years of the show were to also come out one of these days, I wouldn't complain.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 11:46 PM   #3637
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Since my last post I finished Torchwood: "The Baby Farmers" from the anthology Consequences.

I then read the Klag story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table, "loDnI'pu' vavpu' je" by KRAD.

After that I read "Kaleidoscope" by Sara Pinborough, also from Torchwood: Consequences.

Yesterday I read "The Officers' Club" by Heather Jarman, the Kira story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table.

Next up is Torchwood: Consequences - "The Wrong Hands" by Andrew Cartmel.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 02:20 AM   #3638
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Started The Book of Destiny by Fr. Herman Kramer.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 02:54 AM   #3639
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Knocked out a fair bit of the reading back log. Star Trek Vol. 6: After Darkness which I really didn't care for, Star Trek Vol. 7: The Khitomer Conflict which was pretty enjoyable, Doctor Who Series 3 Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand which was a nice farewell letter from IDW to the franchise, if it felt a bit like Tony Lee had three separate ideas about what to do and shoved them all together.

I also tore through Doctor Who: Time Trips: The Bog Warrior. Basically just Cinderella, unabashedly so. It wasn't particularly good, some good moments, but I don't think either writer has really gotten 10's voice in the Time Trips series.
Old May 13 2014, 02:06 PM   #3640
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Cap'n Crunch wrote: View Post
I then read the Klag story from Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table, "loDnI'pu' vavpu' je" by KRAD.
Hope you liked it.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 07:45 PM   #3641
Reanok
Commodore

I started reading Star Trek Vanguard Harbinger by David Mack. It's the first time I read this book. I really like the story with Starfleet characters being so mysterious about the Tarus sector and keeping secrets and spy versus spy on Vanguard. And the storyplot about Captain Kirk wanting to investigate why the space station was built so quickly.I really like this book taking place in the TOS ers.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 05:39 PM   #3642
Reanok
Commodore

I finished reading Star trek Vanguard Harbinger. I've started book 2 Summon the Thunder I really like this series of TOS era books!
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 06:29 PM   #3643
CaptPapa
Commander

I've been reading some of the very early TOS material; in this case Gold Key and (Bliss/Lawrence) episode adaptations. I read Mudd's Women and thought it was pretty good; at least as good as the filmed version. Then I read Enemy Within, which was okay, and The Man Trap, which I thought was superior to the filmed episode. Now, I've just finished The Naked Time and I was very disappointed. For one thing, it lacked nearly all the character drama brought on by the effects of the contagion brought back from Psi 2000. The Tormolen bit went mostly as filmed, but other than a bit about Sulu's sword play and Riley's singing in a barracaded Engineering, there was nothing else that referred to how the problem changed the characters . . . unless you count Spock singing in his quarters at the end - and please, let's not go there.
The episode as written would probably only lasted about 30 filmed minutes, so I guess that's why other material went into the finished (filmed) product. Also, they had to enhance the ending since this version did not have the 'cold restart' of the engines and time travel allusion - it really just kind of wound down in a boring manner. But the main issue I had with this one was the tone of the writing - I felt like I was reading a Gold Key comic with Kirk referring to television cameras, telephone cables, and especially his exclamation at the end . . . "Great galaxy". It left me wondering if George Kashdan ghost wrote The Naked Time adaptation.

ME
Old May 14 2014, 07:04 PM   #3644
Christopher
Writer

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Now, I've just finished The Naked Time and I was very disappointed. For one thing, it lacked nearly all the character drama brought on by the effects of the contagion brought back from Psi 2000. The Tormolen bit went mostly as filmed, but other than a bit about Sulu's sword play and Riley's singing in a barracaded Engineering, there was nothing else that referred to how the problem changed the characters . . . unless you count Spock singing in his quarters at the end - and please, let's not go there.
I felt Blish's explanation of the water-based infection was better than the one in the episode, though.

The episode as written would probably only lasted about 30 filmed minutes, so I guess that's why other material went into the finished (filmed) product. Also, they had to enhance the ending since this version did not have the 'cold restart' of the engines and time travel allusion - it really just kind of wound down in a boring manner.
I doubt that Blish was faithfully adapting the script. In those days, novelizations weren't expected to be exact adaptations of the source, since they were more intended for people who'd never seen the source, meant to stand as independent works of fiction in their own right. So Blish took a lot of liberties with the adaptations in the early volumes, including trimming them down in length due to the smaller page count of paperbacks at the time. Indeed, in the first couple of volumes, Blish pretty much rewrote the Trek episodes to present them almost as if they took place in his own original SF universe, throwing in references to things from his Cities in Flight series and other works (such as the Vegan Tyranny). Some of the differences in the adaptations reflect differences between the script drafts Blish was sent and the final episodes, but many of the differences are Blish's own liberties. (In later volumes, once ST was being constantly rerun and fans complained about the inconsistencies between the episodes and the books, Blish began adapting them more faithfully, which I think took some of the charm out of them.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 10:08 PM   #3645
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I read The One (The Selection) by Kiera Cass yesterday/this morning in the wee hours. It was pretty good, even though it felt a bit rushed near the end. I'll be continuing and finished The Last Dogs - The Long Road tonight or tomorrow.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote