RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,605
Posts: 5,425,313
Members: 24,806
Currently online: 533
Newest member: Mudang Harada

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 24 2012, 01:38 AM   #346
DrCorby
Lieutenant Commander
 
DrCorby's Avatar
 
Location: Exo III
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

JD wrote: View Post
I need some help. I need to clear some space of off my Nook wishlist, so I was going to buy a couple books, but I have several I'm debating and I was hoping for advice.
I want to get two of these, I just not sure which two I should get. And in an attempt to continue expanding my horizons beyond Trek I only want to get one Trek book.
Dresden Files bk 5: Death Masks
A Song of Ice and Fire bk 2: A Clash of Kings
ST: Cast No Shadow
STVOY: Children of the Storm
What a coincidence! I'm currently reading Death Masks (Dresden Files bk 5). Since it follows up in large part on the events of the previous book (with new mayhem thrown in), I'd recommend it. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it.

A Clash of Kings is waiting in my to-be-read pile.

I haven't read Cast No Shadow yet, so I can't comment on it.

I really liked Children of the Storm, and recommend that be your Star Trek purchase. It's a terrific story, with some nice character exploration of both screen characters and new literature characters.
__________________
Dr Corby... was never here.
DrCorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 02:10 AM   #347
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Actually I'm thinking I will go with CotS and Death Masks. I just read GOT so it seems like a good idea to work on one of the other series I haven't just read, and I've heard nothing but very good things about CoTS.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 02:18 AM   #348
Patrick O'Brien
Captain
 
Patrick O'Brien's Avatar
 
Location: Brooklyn NY
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Thanks to recommendations by readers on this forum. I just started reading The Sundered, a lost era book written by Martin & Mangels.
__________________
The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Patrick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 02:53 AM   #349
BritishSeaPower
Commander
 
BritishSeaPower's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey
View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Janos wrote: View Post
BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Finished Mission Gamma: Cathedral last night and loved it.
I have loved much of the DS9 Relaunch books except for the first 3 Mission Gamma books and the 3 Worlds of DS9 books. Enjoyed Mission Gamma Book 4 Lesser Evil and really liking the Warpath which follows Worlds of DS9.
I'm sorry to hear that, as I feel that the Mission Gamma books have been the highlight of the Relaunch for me. The only one I haven't enjoyed as much as the rest were Abyss and Left Hand of Destiny.
__________________
"I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." - The Eighth Doctor
BritishSeaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 08:56 PM   #350
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
The Last Four Things (The Left Hand of God #2) by Paul Hoffman just came out in paperback. It looks like Gemworld II is back on the back burner...
Was unexpectedly strict with myself and finished Gemworld II. Over a year to read both books off and on, but finished.

It was OK but not that interesting - it would have probably made a better single novel.

I read it for Melora's background but although Gemworld is well explored, she wasn't...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 11:13 PM   #351
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Northern California...
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Currently reading:

*The Door Into Summer-Robert Heinlein

And....

*Facebook postings....
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 01:33 AM   #352
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

DrCorby wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I need some help. I need to clear some space of off my Nook wishlist, so I was going to buy a couple books, but I have several I'm debating and I was hoping for advice.
I want to get two of these, I just not sure which two I should get. And in an attempt to continue expanding my horizons beyond Trek I only want to get one Trek book.
Dresden Files bk 5: Death Masks
A Song of Ice and Fire bk 2: A Clash of Kings
ST: Cast No Shadow
STVOY: Children of the Storm
What a coincidence! I'm currently reading Death Masks (Dresden Files bk 5). Since it follows up in large part on the events of the previous book (with new mayhem thrown in), I'd recommend it. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it.

A Clash of Kings is waiting in my to-be-read pile.

I haven't read Cast No Shadow yet, so I can't comment on it.

I really liked Children of the Storm, and recommend that be your Star Trek purchase. It's a terrific story, with some nice character exploration of both screen characters and new literature characters.
JD wrote: View Post
Actually I'm thinking I will go with CotS and Death Masks. I just read GOT so it seems like a good idea to work on one of the other series I haven't just read, and I've heard nothing but very good things about CoTS.
I did get the books last night.
The formatting for COS is kind of annoying though, there's a weird rectangle under the title on the cover, the title page covers only about the top right quarter of the screen, and the text of the actual story starts on the very far right edge of the screen. It's so far over it's almost hard to read.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 08:57 PM   #353
Janos
Commander
 
Janos's Avatar
 
Location: Vanishing Point
View Janos's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Janos wrote: View Post
BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Finished Mission Gamma: Cathedral last night and loved it.
I have loved much of the DS9 Relaunch books except for the first 3 Mission Gamma books and the 3 Worlds of DS9 books. Enjoyed Mission Gamma Book 4 Lesser Evil and really liking the Warpath which follows Worlds of DS9.
I'm sorry to hear that, as I feel that the Mission Gamma books have been the highlight of the Relaunch for me. The only one I haven't enjoyed as much as the rest were Abyss and Left Hand of Destiny.
I have saved Left Hand of Destiny for reading later. It was out-of-place compared to the other DS9 relaunch books at that time, wasn't it?
__________________
Cheers,
John (Janos) Babos
Comics Nexus contributor & editor
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 09:00 PM   #354
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Janos wrote: View Post
I have saved Left Hand of Destiny for reading later. It was out-of-place compared to the other DS9 relaunch books at that time, wasn't it?
Well, it was set earlier in the timeline and in a different location, yes.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 09:03 PM   #355
Janos
Commander
 
Janos's Avatar
 
Location: Vanishing Point
View Janos's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Christopher wrote: View Post
Janos wrote: View Post
I have saved Left Hand of Destiny for reading later. It was out-of-place compared to the other DS9 relaunch books at that time, wasn't it?
Well, it was set earlier in the timeline and in a different location, yes.
Was it set pre-or-post DS9 TV series finale?
__________________
Cheers,
John (Janos) Babos
Comics Nexus contributor & editor
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 09:10 PM   #356
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

^You know, there are websites called Memory Alpha and Memory Beta where you can look up answers to such simple questions all by yourself. Or, since you own the books, you could just read their back covers and see what they're about.

But as long as I'm at it, LHoD picks up Worf & Martok's stories immediately after the finale of DS9.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 09:11 PM   #357
Janos
Commander
 
Janos's Avatar
 
Location: Vanishing Point
View Janos's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Christopher wrote: View Post
But as long as I'm at it, LHoD picks up Worf & Martok's stories immediately after the finale of DS9.
Thx.
__________________
Cheers,
John (Janos) Babos
Comics Nexus contributor & editor
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 07:12 AM   #358
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I recently read Star Trek: The Rings of Time, A Rising Thunder by David Weber, and Guardian of Night by Tony Daniel. I'm currently reading the Apocalypse Troll by David Weber.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 09:32 AM   #359
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Northern California...
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Currently reading:

Demon Seed by Dean Koontz

(Looking to watch the film sometime, when time permits....)
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 03:22 PM   #360
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Snaploud wrote: View Post
I recently read Star Trek: The Rings of Time, A Rising Thunder by David Weber, and Guardian of Night by Tony Daniel. I'm currently reading the Apocalypse Troll by David Weber.
How did you like Guardian of Night? Tony is old friend of mine; I actually published his first novel at Tor ages ago.

Haven't had a chance to read his new book yet.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.