Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 25 2014, 06:46 PM   #3571
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

"Crescent Dawn" by Clive Cussler with Dirk Cussler. So much fun.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 07:18 PM   #3572
Reanok
Commodore

StarTrek TNG Indistinguishable from magic by John McIntee I really like this book it's nice to see Geordi having his own command and Scotty again.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 08:08 PM   #3573
Lonemagpie
Writer

Reanok wrote: View Post
StarTrek TNG Indistinguishable from magic by John McIntee
Who?

To quote Papa Lazarou, "Hello DAAAAVE!"

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 08:20 PM   #3574
Lonemagpie
Writer

Batman: Four Of A Kind collects the Year One stories for four villains, from the 1995 Annuals.

Alan Grant's Poison Ivy story has the best art, but a weak story. The art does very much sexualise Ivy, but works in context (like when she's actively trying to seduce Bats), and actually adheres to proper anatomy. Unfortunately her self-proclaimed backstory is the sort of astoundingly cliched "all men are lying hypocritical abusing bastards" that your average MRA type thinks is what feminism is about.

Chuck Dixon's Riddler story is the best story, with a good punchline, but has the worst art. It's a good read, though.

Doug Moench's Scarecrow story is pretty decent, with disappointing art, but really suffers from an unreadable italic font in most of the caption boxes.

Chuck Dixon's Man-Bat story is nice, and has nice enough art, but it's strange that it's included in a villains' backstory collection, as the Man-Bat is clearly *not* a villain, and does nothing evil in the story - he's just a victim. But Batman does beat the shit out of him and drug him, just in case.

Anyway, a reasonable collection overall, if variable, but nothing really standout.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 09:00 AM   #3575
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Just finished reading "Chain of Attack" by Gene DeWeese (1987, ST-TOS #32) and it was fairly interesting. A bit of a challenge to justify the $9.99 which I paid for it on my e-reader. For fun, I am reading "Alcohol & Drug Problems: A Practical Guide for Counsellors" (2nd ed.) edited by Harrison & Carver (Addiction Research Foundation, 1997) which I got at a thrift store. Still have lots of the early novels to read. Like reading the recent ones though. I do not know if I have read more, or less, than 200 ST novels so far. Have started reading "Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away" by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein (March 2014) for a reading group I'm in. An interesting style of writing perhaps.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:28 PM   #3576
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Finished Star Trek: Assignment Earth. Pretty good. Wasn't there a second one of these?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:56 PM   #3577
Christopher
Writer

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Finished Star Trek: Assignment Earth. Pretty good. Wasn't there a second one of these?
You mean the IDW miniseries? No, that was the only one, although Byrne did sequels to one of its issues in his miniseries Crew and Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor. (Those three miniseries and the stories collected in Romulans: Pawns of War form a sort of interconnected "Byrneverse" of their own.)

There were a couple of earlier Gary Seven stories in DC's TOS volume 2 by Howard Weinstein, unconnected to the Byrne comics. And of course there are the Greg Cox novels about Gary and Roberta.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:38 PM   #3578
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post
You mean the IDW miniseries? No, that was the only one, although Byrne did sequels to one of its issues in his miniseries Crew and Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor. (Those three miniseries and the stories collected in Romulans: Pawns of War form a sort of interconnected "Byrneverse" of their own.)

There were a couple of earlier Gary Seven stories in DC's TOS volume 2 by Howard Weinstein, unconnected to the Byrne comics. And of course there are the Greg Cox novels about Gary and Roberta.
For the record, Gary and Roberta are featured prominently in three of my novels: Assignment: Eternity, The Eugenics Wars (Volume One), and The Eugenics Wars (Volume Two).

You might also check out In History's Shadow by Dayton Ward.
Old April 26 2014, 07:09 PM   #3579
Christopher
Writer

^That's From History's Shadow, though I keep thinking it's In too.

Old April 26 2014, 07:29 PM   #3580
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Leviathan Wakes, ST Cast No Shadow and ST Unspoken Truth. Kindle makes book juggling a lot easier.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 08:10 PM   #3581
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^That's From History's Shadow, though I keep thinking it's In too.
Oops! Thanks for the catch.
Old April 26 2014, 08:56 PM   #3582
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

The other day I finished Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel by Christopher L. Bennett.

I'm now reading Grimm: The Icy Touch by John Shirley.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 05:49 PM   #3583
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finished out Plagues of Night late last night. Excellent read. At times a little slow but with some great insight into characters. (Though, I'm not really certain how well the Ro distrusts Blackmer because she liked the last guy better sub-plot works for Ro's character.)

I also immediately started in on Raise the Dawn last night, too. Staying up till 2:30 to get through those first 50 pages. Excited for this one. I do really appreciate DRG's ability to build interesting "enemy" characters across book one and then dispose of them literally 10 pages into the second book.

UPDATE: Also, I couldn't help but notice that Plagues references the events of Indistinguishable from Magic a few times, which makes its eventual "decanonization" even more confusing. Though I must admit that I really didn't buy Geordi's argument for downgrading in rank and it seemed like something DRG was asked to write in and he did his best to come up with something.

Last edited by BritishSeaPower; April 27 2014 at 06:35 PM.
BritishSeaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 03:42 AM   #3584
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Started Star Wars: Coruscant Nights- Jedi Twilight. Still reeling from the revelation Friday that the entire Star Wars EU, even the pre-Episode I novel released last month, is now considered "legendary."

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 03:59 AM   #3585
Christopher
Writer

Maybe that's what we should call the '80s novel continuity -- "Legendary Trek."