Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 20 2014, 07:42 PM   #3436
Starscape
Fleet Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

CaffeineAddict wrote: View Post
Starscape wrote: View Post
With Transformers: Regeneration One concluding this month I've been revisiting the start of the "Generation One" comics. Aaaah, simpler times...
Sad to see the end of Regeneration One, but it's been good. I started reading Generation One through last year, when they released the collected editions digitally, so now Regeneration One is done, I'm going to pick it up again. It's amazing how much better the writing got when Furman took over.
At least we knew it was a limited run going in, I was kinda upset when G1 was cancelled abruptly back-in-the-day (at least I hadn't heard anything about it until the final issue).

Yeah, Furman's good. I collected the UK comics, so he was alway was a presence in the series, I don't think I noticed when he took over the US run stories.

That's the way it crumbles... cookie-wise.
Starscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 07:03 AM   #3437
JD5000
Commander

Finished Captains' Honor by David Dvorkin today. I didn't particularly like the way it ended a little abruptly with a lot of unfinished plot lines and unanswered questions, but I pretty much immediately realized that I really didn't care about the answers to those questions and that I had enjoyed reading the book. There might be a follow-up novel, I haven't looked into it. Lucius Sejanus seemed like an interesting enough character/villain to be worth bringing back in another equally inconsequential yet entertaining novel.

On to The Eyes of the Beholders by A.C. Crispin. I'm 15% in, so haven't read enough to guess what the ultimate themes are going to be, but I assume it's going to be something about personal handicaps and overcoming society's view of them, between the blind Andorian girl and Data's attempt at writing fiction. Might be a good space fight or two also, due to the 'unknown adversary' that I'm guessing I will be enlightened about soon.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 08:37 AM   #3438
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Finished Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. Loved it. I'll be starting the third book in the First Law trilogy pretty soon.

I'm half way through Railsea by China Mieville. I'm a Mieville fan but apparently I'm not a fan of his YA work. I'm not getting into this one and I didn't care much for Un Lun Dun either. I recently finished the collection Looking for Jake by him and that was mostly pretty good.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 12:10 AM   #3439
anthony_lynch15
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Currently reading Star Trek Titan: Orion's Hounds.
Read Taking Wing & Red King a few years ago, and now intend to get myself caught up on all the Titan books before I read any Typhon Pact books.

Before that I spent the last few months reading the all the Star Trek Voyager relaunch books one after the other. From Homecoming right through to Children of the Storm.
Thought they were all good reads, although I think I prefer the later books with the reunited crew.
anthony_lynch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 02:43 AM   #3440
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

The other day I finished Mr. Monk and the Blue Flu by Lee Goldberg.

Yesterday I read the comic Richard Castle's Storm Season.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Titan: Absent Enemies by John Jackson Miller.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 03:13 AM   #3441
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Started Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel by Christopher L. Bennett earlier today.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 07:12 AM   #3442
JD5000
Commander

Eyes of the Beholders by A.C. Crispin was pretty entertaining. I think she captured the spirit of the season pretty well. Another abrupt ending, which I suppose I should expect from novels that emulate television episodes. At least there aren't any commercials.

The story had a lot of heart in it, and I liked how the author satirized her own writing experiences through Data's attempts at writing 'fiction that appeals to a wide audience'.

I was saddened to discover she passed last year.
Old March 22 2014, 10:25 AM   #3443
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Read "Saratoga" by Friedman and almost one-third of the way through "Death in Winter" by Friedman. Also read "Mindfulness in Plain English" (20th anniversary edition) by Bhante Gunaratana (2011). Recently got subscription video service and am watching "Doctor Who" (new series) for the first time also watched "Trek Nation" (2011) and am thinking about the idea that a species can have a childhood and then more adult years. Is it such a thing as galactic efficacy?
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 04:36 AM   #3444
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finished out DTI: Watching the Clock. What a great read. Went places I wasn't expecting and resolved a story arc I didn't think ever would be! Fantastic stuff. I've recommended it a few times today to Trek fans looking to get back into the books.

Moving on to The Martian by Andy Weir next. And then I think I'll tackle Children of the Storm.
Old March 23 2014, 03:04 PM   #3445
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Moving on to The Martian by Andy Weir next. And then I think I'll tackle Children of the Storm.
That's a solid couple of choices, there. Both those books are great!
Old March 23 2014, 06:15 PM   #3446
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished Startrek Articles of the Federation by Keith DeCandido was a excellent read.I'm now reading The Spy by Joseph Conrad based on a true story in the 1800s.It's an really interesting story about spies wanting to destroy the Greenwitch obsevervatory.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 09:58 PM   #3447
JD5000
Commander

I read the DS9 relaunch novels all out of order, so going back and reading the ones I missed, sort of in order. Starting with Hollow Men by Una McCormack. I like it so far!
Old March 24 2014, 10:38 AM   #3448
anthony_lynch15
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finished out DTI: Watching the Clock. What a great read. Went places I wasn't expecting and resolved a story arc I didn't think ever would be! Fantastic stuff. I've recommended it a few times today to Trek fans looking to get back into the books.
Bought the two Department of Temporal Investigations books last week.
Look forward to reading them in a few books time.

And then I think I'll tackle Children of the Storm.
I thought Children of the Storm was a great read.
Has some nice focus on the other ships & crews of the fleet.
Enjoy!
anthony_lynch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 06:26 PM   #3449
Cyfa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I found DTI: Watching the Clock and Children of the Storm to be excellent reads. Can't recommend them enough.

I've just started reading Federation: The First 150 Years.
Cyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 01:39 AM   #3450
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

The Body Electric, because I finally found it yesterday while cleaning under my bed. That and $100 from a bank that was sold four years ago.

I don't think they make a funnier book.
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.

Last edited by Smellincoffee; March 25 2014 at 01:53 AM.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote