Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 8 2014, 10:49 PM   #3391
BritishSeaPower
Captain

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Anyway, I think I'm going to take a brief respite from Trek Lit and plunge into ... The King in Yellow by R.W. Chambers.
I'm interested to hear what you think -- I've never been able to get past the first few pages, but since it's such a major influence on Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series, I feel like I should read it.

((In case you don't know, Marion's earliest proto-Darkover stories were fanfics of Chambers' novel.))
I read through the first short story and enjoyed it well enough. But the second one really felt disjointed and unpolished for no discernible plot reason. Putting that one on the back burner for the time being. Admittedly, I've been warned away from MZB so I don't know a lot about her work.

Picked up The Martian ebook this weekend, hoping to get to that next. About 150 pages into Indistinguishable from Magic and enjoying it quite a bit. McIntee does get Geordi's voice and it's nice to see. Some of the other characters do feel a little off. Picard and Scotty both feel very young and their dialogue doesn't quite fit. There are also a few editorial errors that are distracting. (In the span of a page, the name of the commander of the Starbase changes.) Still, I'm curious about it. And I liked learning more about Rasmussen.
Old March 8 2014, 11:13 PM   #3392
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

The Martian is GREAT. Halfway through it, myself.
Old March 8 2014, 11:17 PM   #3393
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

Still waiting on my copy of Vanguard: Declassified so finished the main arc today.

David Mack - you are an evil bastard, but I'll still be reading Seekers. Talk about offing a load of characters I really liked!

What's most impressive about those is they didn't feel cruel or capricious, there was a matter of fact style that made them far more effective. Had Vanguard been marketed as this Big-Epic-Where-No-One-Is-Safe, I'd have been considerably more cynical about it - even though, in a lot of ways, it is a ball-to-the-wall all-bets-are-off insane epic!

Yeah, had quite a time this afternoon and the books make a very nice set on the shelf!
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 05:02 AM   #3394
Use of Time
Commodore

Belle Terre New Earth book 2 by Carey and D.W. Smith. I'm into this series. Going to be interesting from what I can tell.
Old March 10 2014, 09:02 AM   #3395
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Finished up reading the TNG "A Time To..." series with A Time for War, A Time for Peace. A good end to the series, I liked how it moved all the pieces into place for Nemesis, and set things up for Taking Wing. I particularly liked the development of Alexander.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 11:58 AM   #3396
PKS8304
Lieutenant Commander

Finally finished Enterprise on Netflix now reading "The Good That Men Do"
Old March 10 2014, 12:21 PM   #3397
Use of Time
Commodore

Moving on to Book 2 of William Shatner's Totality trilogy. Captain's Blood.
Old March 10 2014, 03:20 PM   #3398
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

CaffeineAddict wrote: View Post
Finished up reading the TNG "A Time To..." series with A Time for War, A Time for Peace. A good end to the series, I liked how it moved all the pieces into place for Nemesis, and set things up for Taking Wing. I particularly liked the development of Alexander.
Thank you!

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 07:22 PM   #3399
Lonemagpie
Writer

OK, finished Linda Stratmann's "The Poisonous Seed," a Victorian mystery from the History Press's imprint, The Mystery Press.

I thought at first I'd better steer clear of slagging this off, as 1) I want to sell a book to this publisher, and 2) Linda's one of the handful of people I know who certainly ought to be able to take me with a sword.

Based on the first few pages, that could be difficult - constant swapping between viewpoints with sentences (let alone within paragraphs or sections), and evidence of horrendous lack of copyediting. Eeek.

Fortunately that all stopped after a dozen pages, apart from a single instance near the end, and from then on in it was a nice well-thought-out mystery, written in a great pastiche Victorian style - to the extent that the prose actually seems to have the cadence of the dialogue (especially Julia's) in Murdoch Mysteries, and I really was hearing it told in Helene Joy's voice (despite knowing what Linda sounds like).

So obviously we know who should read the audiobook. I sort of heard the police constable and Inspector characters as George and Brackenreid, but probably just because I already had Murdoch in mind. If ever they did a Julia Ogden spinoff, Linda should showrun.

Anyway, the prose as I say was a nice period pastiche, the plot hung together properly even upon the reader going back to check earlier chapters when something is referred to later, the main character was engaging enough that I certainly want to read more of her.

Downsides... There's one plot issue not resolved, about a character's last words, though essentially it's an irrelevant matter as the case is thoroughly solved anyway. The really bad thing, though, is with the typesetting at the printers- every couple of dozen pages there would be a line with no spaces, and occasionally a line with double spaces between every character. This is in the 2013 reprint edition, so I don't know if the original edition is similarly affected.

I'd definitely recommend it, though, especially to Murdoch fans, or Sally Lockhart fans, or just folks who like a spot of Victorian pastiche.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 01:19 AM   #3400
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

^Yay to the Sally Lockhart reference! Give me Sally over Lyra any day.
Old March 11 2014, 01:25 AM   #3401
Christopher
Writer

Sally Lockhart's the one Billie Piper played opposite Matt Smith in The Jewel in the Smoke, right? I never understood how they could call something "The Sally Lockhart Mysteries" when all Sally Lockhart did was stand by and watch while her friends did all the mystery-solving.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 02:36 AM   #3402
Stephen!
Captain

Currently Voyager: Protectors. After that, I'll probably get back to finishing Brinkmanship and Darth Plagueis, since those got neglected when The Fall novels were released.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 09:18 AM   #3403
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Currently reading "The Heart of the Warrior" by John Gregory Betancourt (ST-DS9 #17, 1996) and it is rather enjoyable so far in the beginning if somewhat different. One plausibility issue that stands out: "He'd set the controls as cold as they would go, but radiant heat from the phaser and the fused metal had raised the internal temperature of his space suit to nearly sixty degrees centigrade." How long can a human survive in a space suit at 60 degrees Celsius?

Last edited by Endgame; March 11 2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Agreement with singular
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:14 PM   #3404
Lonemagpie
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sally Lockhart's the one Billie Piper played opposite Matt Smith in The Jewel in the Smoke, right? I never understood how they could call something "The Sally Lockhart Mysteries" when all Sally Lockhart did was stand by and watch while her friends did all the mystery-solving.
Yeah - they only did the two, The Ruby In The Smoke and The Shadow In The North (which she does solve).

There are four books, but only two TV adaptations.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 12:19 PM   #3405
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

And, as is so often the case, the books are much better than their TV adaptations.