Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 7 2014, 07:01 AM   #3211
Captain Clark Terrell
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

The Collectors by David Baldacci

--Sran
"He clapped his captain—his friend—on the shoulder. Yes, this man was very much like James Kirk, in all the ways that mattered." --Christopher L. Bennett-- Star Trek: Mere Anarachy, The Darkness Drops Again
Captain Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 06:54 PM   #3212
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I almost finished re-reading "A Time to Harvest". After that I'll take a break from "A Time to..." and get to "Distant Shores", which I've had for years and only last week I realised I never read it!
Old February 7 2014, 06:57 PM   #3213
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished reading Voyager Protectors By Kirsten Beyer a great book. I'm now reading Farside by Ben Bova.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 02:30 PM   #3214
MNM
Captain

Just finished reading Ahriman: Exile and now well under way with Ravenwing (both WarHammer 40K) and both are great.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:10 AM   #3215
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Still reading Colin Wilson but just acquired "The Mind Parasites" (1967, 2005) and am not sure to read this before continuing with "The Philosopher's Stone" (1969). I see that it is written that Colin passed away early in December of 2013. He definitely did not write Trek novels but is interesting to read in a strange sort of way. Still need to finish the middle of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens (1861).

I am rereading "I see satan fall like lightning" by Rene Girard as a guide to nonviolent intervention, not just with individual action and social forces but also in the context of organizations and institutions of a more national and/or international nature. Perhaps I have great expectations here too especially since I first read the book in December 2013.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 06:01 AM   #3216
Skywalker
Admiral

Finished Vanguard: Precipice last night, started Declassified earlier today.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 12:15 PM   #3217
USS Firefly
Commander

Started with "It" by Stephen King, I really don't like clowns
And I ordered "The Sundered" and "The Buried Age"
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 03:53 PM   #3218
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Read the first duology of the A Time To series, A Time To Be Born and A Time To Die. I had mixed feelings about these two - some parts of the books had hooked, and other parts just seemed to drag.
Annoyingly, the kindle edition of A Time to Be Born is full of formatting errors. Every time a word appears in italics, such as the name of a ship, the remainder of the paragraph is also italicised.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 06:09 PM   #3219
Reanok
Commodore

I finished reading the last novel In the A Time for War and a time for Peace by Keith DeCandido an excellent novel to wrap up this miniseries. I really liked Nan Bacco was written in this book.I ordered the followup novel Articles of the Federation.The first 2 novels a Time to be born and a Time to die are really boring when it comes to Wesley Crucher acting like a superhero to save everyone in the first 2 books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 06:17 PM   #3220
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Still on A Dance With Dragons, and after reading all the Song of Ice and Fire novels back to back, am craving some Treklit again in the near future...
Old February 9 2014, 06:27 PM   #3221
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I recently read the three Myst novels, which were three really different stories, but suffered from the same weakness. The first 2/3 of each is a meticulous, fascinating setup, blown by a ridiculous and unbelievable rushed ending in the final 1/3. Oh well. Some nice details and ideas along the way.

Currently two books into The January Dancer, a 4-book series by Michael Flynn, one of my favorite writers. So far they're more like travel books than epics; various forgettable excuses to go planet hopping from one wild-ass place to another. Phenomenal invention and delightful prose, but not much by way of plot or character arcing.
Old February 9 2014, 07:07 PM   #3222
JD5000
Captain

Relayer1 wrote:
Still on A Dance With Dragons, and after reading all the Song of Ice and Fire novels back to back, am craving some Treklit again in the near future...
I have never been more relieved to finish a novel series and move on. Reading all of 'Game of Thrones' was exhausting.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 07:16 PM   #3223
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

JD5000 wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote:
I have never been more relieved to finish a novel series and move on. Reading all of 'Game of Thrones' was exhausting.
When I read them, I'd stopped enjoying it way before the end, but after investing that much time to get to that point, I felt I had to plod on....I wish I'd read something else instead, to be honest.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:01 PM   #3224
JD5000
Captain

It took me from the end of August, 2012 until February 2013 to read that series. I normally put down 30-40 books during that amount of time.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:42 PM   #3225
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

CaffeineAddict wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote:
When I read them, I'd stopped enjoying it way before the end, but after investing that much time to get to that point, I felt I had to plod on....I wish I'd read something else instead, to be honest.
Yes and no.

I'm certainly burned out and my reading has slowed down as a result. I don't think books 4 and 5 covering the same period from different perspectives helps either. Forward momentum has been lost by both the narrative and myself.

Against that, I have certainly enjoyed them very much and after a break of indeterminate length whilst the author completes the last two (?) novels I will complete the series.

I may even watch the TV show...