A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 21 2013, 03:00 PM   #2956
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I am reading a space opera, Tour of The Merrimack: The Myriad By R.M. Meluch. Anyone read this one yet?
Old November 22 2013, 03:39 PM   #2957
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Jeff Mariotte's "The Folded World". An excellent stand-alone TOS novel (we need more stand-lones from the other series.). And Ignition by Kevin Anderson and Doug Beason. A kind of "Die Hard" (admittedly, loosely) story involving the space shuttle.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 04:34 PM   #2958
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Jeff Mariotte's "The Folded World". An excellent stand-alone TOS novel (we need more stand-lones from the other series.). And Ignition by Kevin Anderson and Doug Beason. A kind of "Die Hard" (admittedly, loosely) story involving the space shuttle.
This is where I shamelessly brag that Jeff is currently writing a weird western novel for Tor Books, based on the "Deadlands" role-playing game . . . .
Old November 22 2013, 08:22 PM   #2959
Lonemagpie
Writer

Finished The Sleep Room, by FR Tallis. Pretty decent evocation of spookiness at a remote 1950s hospital. The writing style drips with 50s British reserve, and overall comes over as having a real vibe of the TV adaptations of MR James stories - Tallis admits the writer's influence in the interview at the back, but IMO it's definitely more evocative of the landscapes portrayed in the classic BBC versions - especially the bleak opening scenes of Peter Vaughan on his bike in the TV version of A Warning To The Curious.

On the downside, the main character turns out to be an arsehole of sorts, and there's a spectacularly predictible epilogue. My advice is to read this cos it's generally wonderful, but absolutely definitely skip the epilogue letter.

Now for Stephen King's Doctor Sleep...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com

Last edited by Lonemagpie; November 22 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:34 AM   #2960
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just posted my review of S.C.E. #8: Invincible, Part 2 by David Mack and Keith R.A. DeCandido.

Currently reading the newest Fall book, The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow. Very gripping so far!
Old November 23 2013, 05:09 AM   #2961
JD
Admiral

I finished up Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, last night. Which is perfect because I was hoping to finish it as close to the release of the movie as I could.
My Shelfari review wrote:
A really great sequel. Not only does it show both the personal, and political ramifications of the end of the first book, but it also does a lot of interesting world building, as we get to learn more about the other 11 Districts of Panem outside of The Capital and District 12. I was a little hesitant when I first heard that this book ended with another Hunger Games, but the way that they played out was different enough that I really didn't mind in the end. The end of the book was a big surprise.
I rated it a 5/5.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 05:49 PM   #2962
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished Destiny book 3 Mere Mortals .I'm now reading the Weathermakers by Ben Bova about a bunch of meteorologists wanting to try and control the weather and the havoc that would happen if things went wrong trying to use technology to control everything Watherwise when it comes to storms around the world.Very good scifi story so far.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 06:26 PM   #2963
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Last night I finished Star Trek: The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack. It felt a little slow to me, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. No doubt this was due to all the Garak-y goodness.

I then read the Jericho season 3 comic collection, Civil War.

I'm now about to start Doctor Who: Nuclear Time by Oli Smith.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 07:33 PM   #2964
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I finsihed the Lost Fleet series. It was really good. Unfortunately, the library doesn't have any of the sequel books to the series, but it was still a good read.

Now, I'm reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I'm only a little bit into the book, but its ok so far.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 12:08 AM   #2965
Anika Hanson
Captain

The great hunt-Robert Jordan.
Old November 25 2013, 01:50 AM   #2966
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I am currently reading an older TNG novel: Foriegn Foes. It's so bad ... it's good! I know that sounds corny, but it's true. It's got a certain charm. All of the TNG characters are in place and in play. I just cannot put this book down, for some reason. I wouldn't recommend reading it to anyone else, and I certainly didn't go looking for that kind of writing, or this kind of story. But it's strangely enjoyable ...
Old November 25 2013, 02:23 AM   #2967
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I just finished A Ceremony of Losses and now I'm champing at the bit for The Poisoned Chalice.
Old November 25 2013, 03:19 AM   #2968
Use of Time
Commodore

TNG Dyson Sphere. A bit dry but I like the concept of the Dyson Sphere so I'll hang in there.
Old November 25 2013, 08:55 AM   #2969
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Read a couple of the comic books from IDW, both pretty weak.

Burden of Knowledge - Weird set up. 4 chapters, 3 separate stories. First 3 chapters were different weak stories then chapter 4 picks up where chapter 1 picks up. Just not very entertaining.

Khan Ruling in Hell - Just doesn't hold a candle to Greg Cox's book of the same subject. I don't remember the details of Cox's book but the comic story of Khan's people mutineering just didn't ring true at all. If Cox had a similar story thread he handled it a lot better.

The only IDW comic left before I start in on the huge backlog of nu-trek comics is Captains Log with Sulu, Pine, Jellico and Herriman.

I'm about a third of the way through Revelation & Dust. So far it's been good, not great.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 04:43 PM   #2970
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

ronny wrote: View Post
Khan Ruling in Hell - Just doesn't hold a candle to Greg Cox's book of the same subject. I don't remember the details of Cox's book but the comic story of Khan's people mutineering just didn't ring true at all. If Cox had a similar story thread he handled it a lot better.
Agreed. I haven't read the Khan comic yet, but it would be pretty damned hard to top Greg's Khan trilogy.

If not impossible.

As for my reading, I finished The Folded World last night, and am now taking a brief Star Trek break to read Tim Zahn's Star Wars duology, Allegiance and Choices of One. I actually read Allegiance five years ago, but now that I have the sequel, I'm re-reading it to refresh my memory.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote