RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,561
Posts: 5,514,043
Members: 25,146
Currently online: 525
Newest member: TM2-Megatron

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 19 2013, 01:35 PM   #2941
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Reading an old Bantam novel by Kathleen Sky called Vulcan! It kind of has a fanfic kind of vibe which kind of puts me on a two book streak of these kinds of novels after reading Killing Time. I got Dwellers in the Crucible up next.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 07:59 PM   #2942
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I read the comic ST Early Years omnibus over the weekend. It's pretty good, a nice detailed look at Pike and his crew. It ends with a big cliffhanger with more than just Pike in peril, but the ending still worked well as a finale.
On a roll with Pike, I'm re-reading Margaret Wander Bonnano's Pike novel Burning Dreams, which is very good. I am re-reading it. There's a lot with Pike's difficulties in adjusting to life of illusion after the Cage episode, which is interesting and thought provoking, and a lot going on with flashbacks to Pike's early life.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 05:44 AM   #2943
Cap'n Crunch
Captain
 
Cap'n Crunch's Avatar
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Last night I finished Supernatural: Carved in Flesh by Tim Waggoner. It was a pretty enjoyable read.

I then read the (very) short story "Memory" by H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm now reading Star Trek: The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack.
__________________
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 06:52 AM   #2944
kirk55555
Commodore
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just finished Underworld: Blood Enemy. I haven't seen much of the movies (not because I think they're bad, I've just never caught more than parts of them on TV) but I liked the book. I didn't feel like my lack of movie knowledge messed up my enjoyment of the book.

Now I'm on to the last Lost Fleet book: Lost Fleet - Victorious.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 12:59 PM   #2945
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I just finished Michael Jan Friedman's Stargazer novel Gauntlet. I enjoyed the book but the ending was very odd. I mean Picard just accept's White Wolf and Greenbrier's word as the gospel? No backlash from McAteer? I suppose some of this will be answered in the next book.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 04:04 PM   #2946
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Just finished Underworld: Blood Enemy. I haven't seen much of the movies (not because I think they're bad, I've just never caught more than parts of them on TV) but I liked the book. I didn't feel like my lack of movie knowledge messed up my enjoyment of the book.

Now I'm on to the last Lost Fleet book: Lost Fleet - Victorious.
Glad you liked the book. You should probably know, just in case you ever watch the movies, that Blood Enemy no longer fits into the continuity of the movie series. I wrote it right after the first movie, when they were just getting started on writing the script for the sequel, and, at the time, it was consistent with everything we learned in the original film.

But the third movie, Rise of the Lycans, pretty much renders Blood Enemy apocryphal. (Ironically, I ended up writing the novelization of Rise of the Lycans, too, so I got to contradict my own earlier book!)

I like to think Blood Enemy is still a good read, but it's off in its own alternate universe now . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; November 20 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 07:35 PM   #2947
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Just finished Underworld: Blood Enemy. I haven't seen much of the movies (not because I think they're bad, I've just never caught more than parts of them on TV) but I liked the book. I didn't feel like my lack of movie knowledge messed up my enjoyment of the book.

Now I'm on to the last Lost Fleet book: Lost Fleet - Victorious.
Glad you liked the book. You should probably know, just in case you ever watch the movies, that Blood Enemy no longer fits into the continuity of the movie series. I wrote it right after the first movie, when they were just getting started on writing the script for the sequel, and, at the time, it was consistent with everything we learned in the original film.

But the third movie, Rise of the Lycans, pretty much renders Blood Enemy apocryphal. (Ironically, I ended up writing the novelization of Rise of the Lycans, too, so I got to contradict my own earlier book!)

I like to think Blood Enemy is still a good read, but it's off in its own alternate universe now . . . .
As a tie-in author, do you ever get the opportunity to revise an earlier novel to put it back into continuity for re-release, or is the market too limited to make it worthwhile ? Would it be any different with a franchise that has managed to continue well past the end of the show(s) like Treklit ?

Some novels probably wouldn't take much revision, but one that I'd love to see revised is the Reeves-Stevens' Federation and that would take a major rewrite.
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 08:06 PM   #2948
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Just finished Underworld: Blood Enemy. I haven't seen much of the movies (not because I think they're bad, I've just never caught more than parts of them on TV) but I liked the book. I didn't feel like my lack of movie knowledge messed up my enjoyment of the book.

Now I'm on to the last Lost Fleet book: Lost Fleet - Victorious.
Glad you liked the book. You should probably know, just in case you ever watch the movies, that Blood Enemy no longer fits into the continuity of the movie series. I wrote it right after the first movie, when they were just getting started on writing the script for the sequel, and, at the time, it was consistent with everything we learned in the original film.

But the third movie, Rise of the Lycans, pretty much renders Blood Enemy apocryphal. (Ironically, I ended up writing the novelization of Rise of the Lycans, too, so I got to contradict my own earlier book!)

I like to think Blood Enemy is still a good read, but it's off in its own alternate universe now . . . .
As a tie-in author, do you ever get the opportunity to revise an earlier novel to put it back into continuity for re-release, or is the market too limited to make it worthwhile ? Would it be any different with a franchise that has managed to continue well past the end of the show(s) like Treklit ?

Some novels probably wouldn't take much revision, but one that I'd love to see revised is the Reeves-Stevens' Federation and that would take a major rewrite.
Generally, that doesn't happen since it wouldn't really be cost-effective. But I did make one little change when my Q Continuum trilogy was reissued as an omnibus volume.

I changed all the references to "the original Enterprise" to "Kirk's Enterprise" since we'd found out about Archer's ship since those books were first published . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 08:31 PM   #2949
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

That is a nice touch, that you were able to switch to Kirk's Enterprise. Those little details are things fans appreciate, or at least I do.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 08:37 PM   #2950
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

borgboy wrote: View Post
That is a nice touch, that you were able to switch to Kirk's Enterprise. Those little details are things fans appreciate, or at least I do.
Thanks. The opportunity arose, since the books were being reprinted anyway, so I took it . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 10:06 PM   #2951
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

As I said, some novels wouldn't take much work to be aligned with the relaunch continuity !

Might be a 'nice little earner' for S & S and the authors too - maybe a regular reprint schedule with 'improved' covers (i.e. in keeping with the current releases). Four or six per year ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:13 AM   #2952
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

While it's a cool idea, I'd rather not lose than many slots for new books.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:48 AM   #2953
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I recently read Double Down: Game Change 2012 by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann and Brilliance by Markus Sakey.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:58 AM   #2954
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finally downloaded the Mere Anarchy e-book series onto my phone. I basically read this when I am stuck somewhere waiting for something, take out, appointments, etc. The first entry by Ward and Dilmore has been very good.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:11 PM   #2955
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Started the first Rise of the Federation book last night. Good so far.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.