Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 13 2013, 04:56 AM   #2806
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Balence of Power by Dafydd ab Hugh.
Old October 13 2013, 02:06 PM   #2807
Mage
Commodore

Started on Gateways Book One. Back then, I only ever read the DS9 and NF entries, and thanks to a nice deal, I got a load of second hand novels, including the other Gateway books.
Old October 13 2013, 09:03 PM   #2808
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Just finished Terok Nor book 1: Day of the Vipers. I was expecting a "fill in the gaps" type novel, and instead I got a compelling story. Good job.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 09:13 PM   #2809
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

I'm currently reading Fearless by Peter David and his daughter Caroline.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 06:03 AM   #2810
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

CaffeineAddict wrote: View Post
Just finished Terok Nor book 1: Day of the Vipers. I was expecting a "fill in the gaps" type novel, and instead I got a compelling story. Good job.
I'm so glad to hear this! I decided to read this trilogy now while reading the DS9 relaunch before I jump to a different series. I'm looking forward to starting this book!
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 05:43 AM   #2811
JD
Admiral

Days of the Vipers is amazing. It's one of my favorite books I've ever read.
Old October 15 2013, 07:13 AM   #2812
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Canadian Thanksgiving. Roast chicken instead of turkey but with dressing anyway. Long weekend and hope to be one-third of the way through "Lost Souls" by David Mack (2008) tonight. Guess that I should top the trilogy off with "A Singular Destiny" by KRAD (2009). Also read the dialogue "Statesman" by Plato as translated by Seth Benardete (though I have yet to finish the commentary). Was pleasantly surprised by the item in "Mere Mortals" about the norm of non-discrimination in trade regimes IIRC wrt Ferenginar. I wonder if Ferenginar would practice the perhaps conflicting norm of reciprocity. May read "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew J. Robinson sometime soon. I see it came out in Pocket Books around May 2000. Still have many other DS9 novels to read though.

Last edited by Endgame; October 15 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Add about "reciprocity."
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:49 PM   #2813
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I've got going:

Christopher's ONLY SUPERHUMAN, and Dayton Ward's Star Trek novel FROM HISTORY'S SHADOW.

Both are great reads.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:25 PM   #2814
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Spent Thanksgiving weekend eating delicious turkey and reading Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin.
Old October 15 2013, 06:48 PM   #2815
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I am currently reading ...
STAR TREK TNG: "Foreign Foes" by Dave Galanter & Greg Brodeur
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 12:55 AM   #2816
kirk55555
Commodore

I finished my Dune series reread a few days ago (I read every book except the Butlerian Jihad and Bene gesserit prequel books). In the end, my least favorite might be Children of Dune. I don't think its bad, but it has most of he stuff I hate about Frank Herbert's books more than any other one (its just missing the at times horrifying sexual stuff from GE, Heretics and Chapterhouse). CoD gets way too bogged down with the philosophy, or more specifically vision stuff. Page after page of nothing happening by Leto thinking/talking about his visions. The mini series was awesome, and this book isn't bad but its the weakest of FH's books.

I did like GE a bit more on my second reading. GE, heretics and Chaptrhouse mostly stopped wasting time in stupid vision stuff that screws up CoD. Instead, you have three books (mostle Heretics and CH, but a few sections of GE) that actually have very uncomfortable sex scenes that add nothing to the story and just make me wonder if Frank Herbert was becoming a bit of a pervert in his old age I don't mean to say anything negative about him, its just that it really becomes an issue in some points. I think that Duncan/Murbella's first sex scene is probably the worse.

If I had to put the books in order of my favorite to least favorite (although I should point out that I enjoy them all), it would be

Dune
Dune Messiah
The House Trilogy
Winds/Paul of Dune
Hunters/Sandworms of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune
Children of Dune

I also finished reading ST: TOS - Doctor's Orders. It was a pretty good story, even if the reason McCoy couldn't give command of the ship to Spock or scotty was not only extremely stupid, but probably went against what you could imply just from watching the original series.

Right now I'm reading a Star Wars book (Kenobi) and I think my next Star Trek book will probably be the next part of The Fall (the public library is getting all of them as they come out, and I'm #1 on the waiting list for each one ). I do have Star Trek: Best Destiny to read (I got it for $1 at a book sale awhile ago) but it seems like whenever I think of reading it, I have a lot more stuff I want to read more.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:20 AM   #2817
JD
Admiral

Wow, I think you're the only person I've ever seen who puts any of the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson books above any of the Frank Herbert books. Even the other people who I've seen that like them, still put them below the original books.
Old October 16 2013, 03:38 PM   #2818
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Just started Stoker's Manuscript by Royce Prouty. It's a novel about an antiquarian book dealer who is hired--by a mysterious Romanian client--to authenticate a copy of Bram Stoker's original ms. for Dracula. I'm sure that won't be dangerous at all.

I'm enjoying it so far.
Old October 17 2013, 07:36 PM   #2819
Use of Time
Commodore

I am reading S.D. Perry's Section 31 novel Cloak. Not bad. A real quick read.
Old October 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #2820
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

About a quarter of the way through the second Terok Nor novel. Haven't had much time to read this week, but I've got a long train journey tomorrow, so I'm hoping to finish up the Terok Nor trilogy.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote