Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 10 2013, 07:31 PM   #2401
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Finished Book One of Destiny, now to Destiny: Mere Mortals. I'm about 150 pages into Destiny #2 and it's quite gripping!
The butler did it.

There you go - saved you the trouble...
Old July 11 2013, 02:03 AM   #2402
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Really looking forward to starting the new Star Wars novel Crucible. Looks to be the end of the story for Han, Luke, and Leia. Reboot of the Star Wars EU in 3...2...1...

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:24 PM   #2403
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Star Trek: The Shocks of Adversity by William Leisner the other day.

Yesterday I started Stargate Atlantis: Dead End by Chris Wraight.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:03 AM   #2404
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Really looking forward to starting the new Star Wars novel Crucible. Looks to be the end of the story for Han, Luke, and Leia. Reboot of the Star Wars EU in 3...2...1...
Probably, but perhaps the EU will instead diverge - one version for the current continuity, and one that lines up with the new films. (Doubtful, but it's what I would like to see happen.)

In any event, Christie Golden's Jaina Solo-centric trilogy Sword of the Jedi is still supposedly in the works, and it takes place at some point after Crucible.

On the other hand, Paul Kemp's duology is currently on hold...
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:11 AM   #2405
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
...In any event, Christie Golden's Jaina Solo-centric trilogy Sword of the Jedi is still supposedly in the works...
I can't tell you how unappealing that sounds to me. Ugh.

Sorry, I generally try to be a pretty positive poster, but the Star Wars EU after NJO has really turned me off. And adding Golden to the mix has not made me want to come back.
Old July 12 2013, 01:29 PM   #2406
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I believe the only details released so far about that trilogy are that it will focus on Jaina and Jagged Fel, while also featuring Ben Skywalker, Allana Solo, and Tahiri Veila. All of that makes me interested in it... but unfortunately Golden's involvement kills almost all of that interest.

For the EU in general, I'm not that far off from your perspective at the moment. There were aspects of both Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi that I enjoyed, but overall both series were disappointing, to say the least. I really wasn't a fan of the ancient Abeloth angle in the latter series, although the apparent ties to Mortis from The Clone Wars is something I'm curious to see explored in Crucible.

That said, I did think Millennium Falcon was a fun read and I'm happy that the X-Wing series returned with Mercy Kill, though I haven't had time to read it yet.

Last edited by PsychoPere; July 12 2013 at 02:07 PM.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:03 PM   #2407
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Finally started ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett, so far it is great!
Old July 12 2013, 06:13 PM   #2408
Use of Time
Commodore

Just finished Carey's novelization of Descent. Does anybody know why that episode warranted a novelization instead of BOBW? Seems like a strange choice.

Moving on to Carmen Carter's big novel The Devil's Heart. I haven't hear many positive reviews on this one.
Old July 12 2013, 10:58 PM   #2409
Christopher
Writer

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just finished Carey's novelization of Descent. Does anybody know why that episode warranted a novelization instead of BOBW? Seems like a strange choice.
BOBW was the first TNG-era 2-parter other than "Encounter at Farpoint." Apparently it wasn't until later that they became enough of a successful thing that the publisher realized there'd be a market for novelizing them. We got novelizations of plenty of later 2-hour or longer stories, including "Unification," "Descent," "All Good Things...," "Emissary," "The Search," "The Way of the Warrior," the 6th-season DS9 Dominion War arc, "What You Leave Behind," "Caretaker," "Equinox," and "Endgame," as well as a few 1-hour episodes like "Relics," "Trials and Tribble-ations," "Flashback," and "Day of Honor." But BOBW came along before the practice got underway. There was no novelization of "Redemption" or "Time's Arrow" either.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:17 AM   #2410
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Finished reading Christopher's excellent A Choice of Futures. The first part of his Enterprise: The Rise of the Federation two-parter.

Now have started Greg Cox's "Man of Steel" novelization.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 04:47 PM   #2411
Reanok
Commodore

I started a lost era TNG book Deny Thy father by Jeff Marriotte.The story about Kyle and Will Riker's troubled and strained Father &Son relationship is well written in this novel.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 07:21 PM   #2412
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I plowed through the first half of Destiny: Book Three: Lost Souls and man is it exciting. I wish the Voyager crew had a bit more to do, though they do explain away their absence and I wish the DS9 crew were mentioned at all outside of Dax and the flashback, but it's still super solid.

Not sure what I'll do after I finish it. I do have a backlog of comics to get through, a friend just just leant me the whole run of Queen & Country and the associated novels and I have some LeCarré and Furst to get to, too.
Old July 14 2013, 07:24 PM   #2413
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I decided to check out the Mass Effect novels; just finished the first one. Quite good. I really like this universe, I wish they'd do more with it. Maybe ME4 will wander a bit more and the tie-ins can, as well. I see some real potential for a book line like Gears of War or Halo to come off of this, not just this one fairly self-contained parallel storyline.

...though it is, of course, impossible (or at least rather pointless) to novelize the games, considering that their entire point is that you can make so many choices, so maybe that's a problem.
Old July 14 2013, 10:05 PM   #2414
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I believe the only details released so far about that trilogy are that it will focus on Jaina and Jagged Fel, while also featuring Ben Skywalker, Allana Solo, and Tahiri Veila. All of that makes me interested in it... but unfortunately Golden's involvement kills almost all of that interest.

For the EU in general, I'm not that far off from your perspective at the moment. There were aspects of both Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi that I enjoyed, but overall both series were disappointing, to say the least. I really wasn't a fan of the ancient Abeloth angle in the latter series, although the apparent ties to Mortis from The Clone Wars is something I'm curious to see explored in Crucible.

That said, I did think Millennium Falcon was a fun read and I'm happy that the X-Wing series returned with Mercy Kill, though I haven't had time to read it yet.
I've really tapered off the EU in the past few years, I read all of the NJO in one summer and rather enjoyed the experience. That said, I couldn't click with the Dark Nest stuff or the more recent books. I'm hoping to eventually revisit the SWEU once I finish out the 24th Century TrekLit stuff.

However, I have to say a Jaina/Jagged Fel series really interests me. Golden, however, is not a name that will get me to pick up the books.
Old July 15 2013, 12:27 AM   #2415
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Not sure what I'll do after I finish it. I do have a backlog of comics to get through, a friend just just leant me the whole run of Queen & Country and the associated novels and I have some LeCarré and Furst to get to, too.
^You're in for a treat with Q&C. Great comics and even better novels. Wish Rucka would revisit that series but I'm thankful for what was released.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote