Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 6 2013, 08:57 AM   #2281
Hugh Cambridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I did read "Dragon's Honor" last month and enjoyed it. A fun read, this one. And we learn that the Borg seem to have left Picard with a stainless steel stomach

Also read "the weight of worlds" and loved it, the way Sulu is treated in this one made me want to see more.

Now I just begun "The shocks of adversity"
Hugh Cambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:28 PM   #2282
Reanok
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Reanok wrote: View Post
I just fined reading the TOS novel The Shocks of adversity by William Leiner excellent writing in this book.I really liked the focused on the characters was well done. I'm now reading TNG Dragon's honor by John Peel.
Er, Dragon's Honor was by Kij Johnson and myself. Are you perhaps reading a John Peel novel with another title?

If you're actually reading Dragon's Honor, I hope you like it!
Yes Greg I'm really enjoying it .Sorry for any confusion the titles sound a lot alike.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 05:09 PM   #2283
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I just fined reading the TOS novel The Shocks of adversity by William Leiner excellent writing in this book.I really liked the focused on the characters was well done. I'm now reading TNG Dragon's honor by John Peel.
Er, Dragon's Honor was by Kij Johnson and myself. Are you perhaps reading a John Peel novel with another title?

If you're actually reading Dragon's Honor, I hope you like it!
Yes Greg I'm really enjoying it .Sorry for any confusion the titles sound a lot alike.
No problem. With 700-plus Trek books, it's easy to get the titles mixed up.

True story: My Voyager book, The Black Shore, was originally titled Paradise, but my editor asked me to change it in order to avoid confusion with another Voyager book, The Garden, which was coming out the same year. It was a good call; The Black Shore is a much better title than the rather generic Paradise.
Old June 6 2013, 09:55 PM   #2284
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Halfway through Full Circle now. I listened to the Literary Treks podcast with Beyer when it fist came out, and can tell she's trying to get a lot of the Golden stuff wrapped up in preparation for her own stories. I was highly amused by a certain Golden created character that was disposed of.

I've also been reading Roadside Picnic by Boris & Arkady Strugatsky. It's alright. I have the version with the updated English translation, but the dialogue never really feels natural.

Last edited by Starbreaker; June 6 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:54 AM   #2285
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Breezed through TNG: Q & A last night. I rather enjoyed it, especially the conceit of the story, but I couldn't help feeling that the book was padded. As if it were meant to be a short story and a lot of superfluous scenes were added to get it to ~300 pages. I hate saying that, as it was a well written book, but a lot of it felt unnecessary. Indeed, I rather enjoy KRAD's work.

Anyway, I'm on to TNG: Before Dishonor. I'm about 120 pages in right now and rather enjoying it. I like PAD's writing, but I've noticed some overused turns of phrase ("dire straits," "primly") and some out of character writing (Janeway is way more frigid than she ever was, Seven seems immature in a way that doesn't relate to the story). Having been spoiled on this story for nearly 6 years, I'm more along for the ride than anything else. I don't quite understand why its so reviled, but we'll see.
Old June 7 2013, 05:30 AM   #2286
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Currently reading "Firestarter" by Stephen King.

Pretty good, actually.

I've seen the movie a few times, and owned it on DVD years ago...but reading the book for the first time.

I was also reading the "Star Trek" novelization (the first time I opened it since buying it in 2009) but it doesn't go into why Nero waited for 20 or 25 years (or what he was doing) and I'm sure it doesn't go into why Kirk became Captain on a whim. Hence, I had to set it aside....putting it in a "book exchange" area. I'll pick up a library copy to finish it at a later date, even thought I'm very particular about plot holes in general.
Old June 7 2013, 01:41 PM   #2287
Use of Time
Commodore

I am reading the Lost Era book The Sundered by the team of Martin and Mangels. I like this version of the Excelsior senior staff.
Old June 7 2013, 09:45 PM   #2288
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Just finishing the first Typhon Pact book, Zero Sum Game. I like the authors explanation of the Breen society. Also making me realise how much I miss DS9!
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:56 AM   #2289
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Stayed up later than I should to finish out Before Dishonor. I'm a little conflicted on it. I ended up liking it, but there's some weirdness throughout. Some people who I haven't been caring for in the past two TNG novels really end up being pretty unlikable by the end of this book and I'm curious about why they're still around. However, I think the biggest issue I have is that the book sort of just ends. Sure the plot's resolved but a lot of things seem unfinished or left open for no real reason. Even the climax feels rushed. Not bad just very muddled.

Also quickly read through Doctor Who: Tip of the Tongue. Probably the shortest of the 50th Anniversary eBooks so far and the one I was most disappointed with. Davison's Doctor seems a background character for much of the story and never really gets a chance to be The Doctor. Not bad, just odd.

Now I'm onto Titan: Sword of Damocles. Quick Question Though: The Short story "Revenant" from Seven Deadly Sins, should I read that before or after Greater than the Sum?
Old June 8 2013, 10:35 AM   #2290
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Currently reading "Foundation and Empire", by Isaac Asimov. Great series
Old June 8 2013, 05:02 PM   #2291
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Just finished Carrie by Stephen King, first read this years ago and I didn't enjoy it this time around.
Back onto TOS now with The Three Minute Universe by Barbara Paul.
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 05:08 PM   #2292
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Finally finished Cold Equations: The Body Electric last night. A few too many "Why don't/aren't they..." moments for it to be outstanding, but I enjoyed it well enough. Plus it was a treat to see that I'm still alive and on the Enterprise. Yippee!!!

Back to City of Bones now, I think.
Old June 8 2013, 07:08 PM   #2293
USS Firefly
Commander

I'm reading Star Trek Vanguard: Summon the thunder
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:07 PM   #2294
JD
Admiral

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Stayed up later than I should to finish out Before Dishonor. I'm a little conflicted on it. I ended up liking it, but there's some weirdness throughout. Some people who I haven't been caring for in the past two TNG novels really end up being pretty unlikable by the end of this book and I'm curious about why they're still around. However, I think the biggest issue I have is that the book sort of just ends. Sure the plot's resolved but a lot of things seem unfinished or left open for no real reason. Even the climax feels rushed. Not bad just very muddled.

Also quickly read through Doctor Who: Tip of the Tongue. Probably the shortest of the 50th Anniversary eBooks so far and the one I was most disappointed with. Davison's Doctor seems a background character for much of the story and never really gets a chance to be The Doctor. Not bad, just odd.

Now I'm onto Titan: Sword of Damocles. Quick Question Though: The Short story "Revenant" from Seven Deadly Sins, should I read that before or after Greater than the Sum?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter when you read "Revenant". As far as I remember there is no real connection between it and other stories. The only reason it was set where it was was so it could involve the Borg at the latest point in the timeline possible.
Old June 9 2013, 04:56 AM   #2295
Use of Time
Commodore

Finished up Crisis on Centaurus by Brad Ferguson. Starting Masks by John Vornholt.