Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 17 2013, 12:51 AM   #2221
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished reading 'Tunnel in the Sky' for the second time, and recommending to a friend who is pursuing African American Studies. (I told him the lead character is black, something that was rare in the 1950s, when the book was written). There is also a Zulu girl who 'looks like' the main character's sister.

I still give the book about a 3/5 since it doesn't really have a plot, but there are so many ideas that move the story along, especially since the 'strong' characters are all black...

(Sidenote: The audio book - or at least one I've seen on Amazon - for 'Tunnel in the Sky' has Rod Walker, the lead, depicted as a black kid. It's the 1950's cover that has Rod as white, of course).

Another book I'm looking to read is 'Star Trek'....to prepare for the awesomeness that is 'Star Trek Into Darkness.'
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 01:37 AM   #2222
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Read Blind Lake by Robert Charles Wilson. Started the behemoth known as Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Will probably read Spirit Walk #2 concurrently.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:58 AM   #2223
Snaploud
Admiral

I recently finished Impulse by Steven Gould and TimeRiders: The Doomesday Code by Alex Scarrow.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 04:18 PM   #2224
Reanok
Commodore

I'm reading the TOS novel The Joy Machine by Ted Gunn& Theodore Sturgeon the book storyplot kind of reminds me of the tv episode when the Computer Landru controlled the people and Kirk and crew had to defeat the irrational computer.And have a stagnant society be freethinkers again. To control their own destinies.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:49 AM   #2225
Bones_McCoy21
Commander

Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of the Shadows by David R. George III. It's a interesting take on The City on the Edge of Forever and what would've happened is Edith hadn't died and Kirk and Spock never showed up to save McCoy in the first place. It's almost a two time line book with each alternating chapter either showing the "Edith lived" world or the cannon "World we know and acknowledge." It's a fascinating read really good.
Old May 18 2013, 04:09 AM   #2226
JD
Admiral

I finished reading the Star Wars novel Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn yesterday. Here's review from Shelfari:
[QUOTE = My review] “This is an absolutely outstanding SW novel. I'm a huge fan of Zahn's earlier trilogy, and I really enjoyed the way that he was able to work the back story that he had established pre-prequels into the prequel storyline.”
[/QUOTE]
My rating: 5/5
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:09 PM   #2227
ConRefit79
Captain

Steve Jobs' biography.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:43 PM   #2228
Reanok
Commodore

I'm Reading a Ben Bova short story anthology Escape plus. I hope to read Firebird by Jack McDevitt soon.The short stories have been a real interesting variety. I've been waiting for my movie novel Startrek into darkness to arrive in the mail soon. I can't wait to read this book and The Shocks of adversity.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:28 AM   #2229
Snaploud
Admiral

I just finished Edward of Planet Earth.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:44 PM   #2230
Use of Time
Commodore

I am reading William Shatner's The Return. It is a pretty easy read with plenty of action and an interesting take on the Borg with their strange partnership with the Romulans. I read this one when it first came out over 15 years ago so it will be fun to revisit this book.
Old May 21 2013, 09:58 PM   #2231
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

I think it's been awhile since I posted, so there's a lot I've read. But the big item is probably Doctor Who: Shada by Gareth Roberts, novelizing Douglas Adams' scripts. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I've moved onto The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter which is also quite good so far.
Old May 22 2013, 03:41 PM   #2232
Use of Time
Commodore

I am about halfway through David Dvorkin's The Trellisane Confrontation. Short book but it has a compelling plot and a cool sidestory about Christine Chapel becoming conjoined with with a strange race that is somewhat shaped like a bowling bowl when they are together acting as a wrecking ball inside the Enterprise.
Old May 22 2013, 06:56 PM   #2233
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Just read Vicious by V. E. Schwab, a dark and sardonic take on the creation of a supervillain that's due out from Tor sometime next year. A real page-turner.

(And, no, I'm not the editor on the book.)
Old May 23 2013, 07:53 PM   #2234
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I'm about 30% through Pandora's Star now. It's really killed my reading pace, but the plot is starting to pick up. I nearly quit at the same spot as the first time I started reading it, but glad I didn't. (The 15 page description of futuristic hang gliding)
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:03 PM   #2235
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

That turns out to be much more important later than you'd expect. Hamilton is verbose but he isn't wasteful.