Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 9 2013, 04:55 PM   #2191
Reanok
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I started reading reading Memory Prime by the Reeves-Stevens I really like this story so far. It's the First time I've read this novel in many years.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:24 PM   #2192
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished TNG: The Stuff of Dreams several days ago. I then read the Doctor Who comic, Cold-Blooded War. I'm currently reading Star Trek: The Weight of Worlds.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:55 PM   #2193
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Halfway through Spirit Walk Book One. It is what it is... I just want to get through these so I can get to the more interesting sounding Beyer novels. I read Homecoming/Father Shore a decade ago, I guess.
Starbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 03:06 AM   #2194
Use of Time
Commodore

I'm on Laurence Yep's Shadow Lord. I think I read this when I was in the seventh grade. I'm pretty sure I didn't like it then and I'm not really feeling it now. I'll get through it though as it does read pretty quickly. This just seems likes a feeble attempt to shoehorn Star Trek characters into a fantasy novel. The characters are a little all over the place as well. Especially Spock. Not a bad story really but the Star Trek characters don't belong.
Old May 10 2013, 03:35 AM   #2195
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I'm on Laurence Yep's Shadow Lord. I think I read this when I was in the seventh grade. I'm pretty sure I didn't like it then and I'm not really feeling it now. I'll get through it though as it does read pretty quickly. This just seems likes a feeble attempt to shoehorn Star Trek characters into a fantasy novel. The characters are a little all over the place as well. Especially Spock. Not a bad story really but the Star Trek characters don't belong.
Yeah, I felt much the same way. It felt like the Star Trek elements were tacked-on a bit. Also, Spock touching the guest character to comfort her and occasionally smiling seemed really out of character. I found it an interesting read, but it didn't feel like a Star Trek story.
Old May 10 2013, 03:53 AM   #2196
Use of Time
Commodore

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Yeah, I felt much the same way. It felt like the Star Trek elements were tacked-on a bit. Also, Spock touching the guest character to comfort her and occasionally smiling seemed really out of character. I found it an interesting read, but it didn't feel like a Star Trek story.
Yeah, to piggyback on what you said I've made it clear before that I think the Vulcans are a race many storytellers take liberties with. The problem is that it is difficult to feature a main character that is what I would consider a true "emotionless" stoic Vulcan. They just aren't all that interesting; which is why we always see these little out of character moments by T'Pol, Spock and Tuvok to endear themselves to the audience. Usually when you see the straight arrow Vulcan in literature they are either an antagonistic character or on the fringe of being antagonistic. I'm having trouble putting into words with what I mean by that but hopefully you all get what I'm saying. Its not really a big deal but it is something I've noticed as I read and watch Star Trek.
Old May 10 2013, 06:08 PM   #2197
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Spirit Walk Book One

Artificially split into two parts to rake in twice the profit, this book is insulting. Nothing happens for the entirety of the novel. Some characters are shoehorned on with hardly any backstory and we are supposed to just accept them as part of Voyager's crew. Tom and B'Elanna spend some time in the caves of Boreth where nothing happens. Chakotay leads a delegation to a planet while nothing happens on board. The Trill doctor has a past host give him some problems... but nothing happens. Harry's girlfriend Libby is looking for a mole that's leaking information, but nothing happens. Seven of Nine and the Doctor are in a think tank.... but (you guessed it) nothing happens. They made sure to get a good cliffhanger in the last 5 pages though. It's no wonder the relaunch almost died with this book.
Old May 10 2013, 07:16 PM   #2198
Christopher
Writer

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It's no wonder the relaunch almost died with this book.
Actually I recall hearing that the Spirit Walk duology sold quite well. I think what happened was just that the editor and author moved on, the new editor decided to take things in a new direction, and it took some time to sort out the new storylines, which were further delayed when Destiny was developed and its effects on the overall continuity needed to be addressed. So nothing "almost died," it just had a long pause.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 01:51 AM   #2199
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Reading Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel".
Old May 11 2013, 02:19 AM   #2200
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Reading Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman. I started it a few months ago and didn't finish it for some reason. I think something I was dying to read came out and I immediately jumped into that. Redshirts maybe? Anyway... I'm already 25% with it again. It's just a great, easy read. I'm come to really appreciate good dialogue versus stilted, unnatural dialogue.
Old May 11 2013, 04:07 PM   #2201
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I'm reading Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell.

While I've read the original run of Sharpe novels (Eagle through Waterloo), I haven't read any of the post-Waterloo books save Trafalgar. (I'm talking publication order here, not chronological order.) I've decided to read the series through chronologically, starting with Tiger.

I enjoy Cornwell's prose. His words flow easily, and his characters are well-defined.

The one quibble I have with Cornwell's writing is that he'll change his POV character in the middle of a scene. He writes third person limited, but he can be clunky about it. A scene might be written entirely from Sharpe's POV, and near the end of the scene we're suddenly in Lawson's head. That has always given me mental whiplash; I'm settled into one character, and suddenly I'm elsewhere.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:19 AM   #2202
JD
Admiral

I was going through TrekLit withdrawal so I started STTP: Raise the Dawn.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:28 PM   #2203
Lonemagpie
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The one quibble I have with Cornwell's writing is that he'll change his POV character in the middle of a scene. He writes third person limited, but he can be clunky about it. A scene might be written entirely from Sharpe's POV, and near the end of the scene we're suddenly in Lawson's head. That has always given me mental whiplash; I'm settled into one character, and suddenly I'm elsewhere.
It's amazing how many good-selling writers actually do that, which bugs the living shit out of me...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:35 PM   #2204
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Dune does that. I really wanted to like Dune, but that kept pissing me off royally.
Old May 12 2013, 08:46 PM   #2205
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I've noticed that in Dune too. It's not enough to turn me off from the book, but it is a little weird. In the scene I was just reading one line was Lady Jesscia's thought, and then the next line was Paul's thought.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote