Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 26 2013, 09:27 PM   #2146
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished Star Trek: Devil's Bargain, then I read IDW's Doctor Who comic, The Time Machination. I'm now reading Leverage: The Zoo Job by KRAD.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:44 AM   #2147
Snaploud
Admiral

I recently finished reading the novels Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:04 AM   #2148
JD
Admiral

I finished Plagues of Night earlier today. I posted my thoughts over on the book's review thread.
Old April 29 2013, 01:15 AM   #2149
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I finished Matched the other day and really enjoyed it. Now I'm reading the first Alex Rider book Stormbreaker because I keep seeing the series everywhere and I finally gave in to curiosity. I think I would enjoy it more if I were in the target age group, but it's not bad so far.

I spent the weekend trying to make more room in my shelving by rearranging things, and I had so many moments of, "Oh, I want to read this next," or "Oh, I haven't read this in forever and I really want to read it again." And then I ended up with Stormbreaker. Clearly something is wrong with me.
Old April 29 2013, 01:25 AM   #2150
CaptPapa
Commander

I recently finished the adaptation of Where No Man Has Gone Before, and noticed a couple of interesting items . . . uhhh, don't know if it is necessary for such an old item, but the following may be considered to contain spoilers - don't want to be scolded.

James Blish notes that Dr. McCoy is on "a special study leave". Granted, the story was written after the fact, but I thought it was an interesting inclusion.
Also noted, at the end Kirk says, "engage" when directing the Enterprise to leave orbit and move on to the next assignment/destination. I always thought that word was a TNG/Picard thing. See, live, err read, and learn.
Old April 29 2013, 01:39 AM   #2151
Christopher
Writer

^Pike said "Engage" in "The Cage" (hey, I made a poem!). And he called his first officer "Number One." So Picard drew on Pike in some ways (including the name, it seems).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:03 AM   #2152
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Just reading reading reading the the next generation 365 book plus reading hand of fate by lis wiehl.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:19 PM   #2153
Use of Time
Commodore

Finishing up Christie Golden's The Murdered Sun. Starting up David Stern's The Children of Kings. Really looking forward to this one.
Old April 29 2013, 03:27 PM   #2154
Garrovick
Commander

Currently reading:
Mudd In Your Eye (TOS #81) by Jerry Oltion
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Spectre by William Shatner and Gar & Judith Reeves-Stephens
Metamorphoses by Ovid (it's been a slog but I am determined to get through it)
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Over the last week, I finished:
Shell Game (TOS #63) by Melissa Crandall
The Starship Trap (TOS #64) by Mel Gilden
Grounded (TNG #25) by David Bischoff
Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman
New Earth #2: Belle Terre (TOS #90) by Dean Wesley Smith
Day of Honor #1: Ancient Blood by Diane Carey
Love's Labour Lost by William Shakespeare
Legacy: Forgotten Son by Warren Murphy and Gerald Welch

I've had Mudd In Your Eye in my to-read stack for a while now, and I am happy that it's finally managed to work its way to the top. I've always thought Harry Mudd was a great character and I have been somewhat surprised that he hasn't shown up more in TrekLit over the years. The only other Mudd story I can think of besides adaptations of the episodes of TOS and TAS he appeared in was The Business, as Usual, during Altercations from the Mudd's Angels collection by James Blish and J.A. Lawrence. I always loved that story - it actually was, I believe, the very first non-adaptation Trek story I ever read. It's pretty goofy but fun nevertheless. (I know Harry has appeared a number of times in comics also.)

Shell Game was excellent, a nice little ghost story which managed to keep the true "villain's" identity secret until well into the story.

I mentioned my thoughts on Kahless a bit last time I posted in this thread - I think the book could have been better with a lot more focus on the "Heroic Age" sections and much less of the story with Picard and Worf, which was rather dull and pointless. I know they were trying to tie the memories of the Kahless Clone seen in TNG with the historical Kahless but it could have been done better - perhaps a framing story similar to that which was done for The Final Reflection would have worked better.

In a somewhat similar vein, I found the parts of Ancient Blood that focused on Picard and Alexander much more interesting than those focusing on Worf. I was rather surprised that Diane Carey
, but I think it worked out OK in the end. Again, though, the Worf story was rather boring and predictable.
Old April 30 2013, 04:00 AM   #2155
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I finished Stormbreaker with a resounding meh. Way too many coincidences that diminished any sense of Alex being talented or smart enough to be worth MI6's time. Coupled with the stupid caricatures of villains, and I'm reminded why I never liked James Bond.

I understand they get better. I might try the next one after reading something else. Right now I think I'm going to try City of Bones and see if it fares any better. I have to admit to being a sucker for the beautiful covers the series boasts.
Old April 30 2013, 01:52 PM   #2156
Use of Time
Commodore

I read Children of Kings yesterday in two sittings. Couldn't put it down. I love Pike stories and had just finished up Friedman's Legacy prior to reading this one. I want to find a copy of Burning Dreams as I've heard good things.

I am going back to the Bantam books for awhile. Just got into Planet of Judgement which reminds me of a Jurassic Park type scenario. Lots of redshirts to serve as fodder through the story.
Old April 30 2013, 02:11 PM   #2157
Christopher
Writer

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just got into Planet of Judgement which reminds me of a Jurassic Park type scenario.
Hmm... I guess if you're only a few chapters in, I can understand how you'd see it that way. As you'll soon find out, it ends up going in a very different direction.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 11:09 PM   #2158
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just posted my review of Gene DeWeese's Original Series novel, Chain of Attack.

Currently finishing up Jeff Mariotte's The Folded World.

The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo cut into my reading time this weekend. I'm stoked and amazed at how huge an event that has become!
Trek Lit Reviews (The Next Generation #45: Intellivore by Diane Duane - December 14th, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 12:06 PM   #2159
Fer
Commander

Just finished K. W. Jeter's Star Wars Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. This does not inspire me to read his two DS9 novels. While I thought the plot was good and I really liked the character of Kud'ar Mub'at (which is saying a lot because I hate spiders), his writing style was so repetitive it could be a real chore to get through it at times.

Today I celebrate the start of Peter Davison month by reading Doctor Who: Divided Loyalties by Gary Russell. Up on deck is Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.
Old May 1 2013, 06:26 PM   #2160
Use of Time
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just got into Planet of Judgement which reminds me of a Jurassic Park type scenario.
Hmm... I guess if you're only a few chapters in, I can understand how you'd see it that way. As you'll soon find out, it ends up going in a very different direction.
It sure did. I enjoyed this book though. A really cool sci-fi story packed into 150 pages.