RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 540
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 12 2013, 06:44 PM   #1936
Christopher
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
In fact, I suspect that lots of Trekkies have read and enjoyed the book without being aware of the "Here Comes the Brides" connection.
Quite true. I don't think it was until I read Bjo Trimble's book On the Good Ship Enterprise, with a chapter where she talks about Here Come the Brides, that I realized Ishmael was an unauthorized crossover between the shows.

The reason HCtB was of interest to Trek fans, and no doubt the reason why Ishmael crossed them over, was because its regular cast included several Trek guest stars, including Robert Brown, David Soul, and most notably Mark Lenard as the series' main antagonist. Ishmael portrayed Lenard's character in a more sympathetic light and, as an in-joke, made him a surrogate father figure for the amnesiac, time-displaced Spock.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 07:05 PM   #1937
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
^ You know, I am not familiar at all with the tie in but I too finished Ishmael about two weeks and found it pretty underrated. Definitely a change of pace than the usual trek novel but I found it a pretty nice little read.
I remember enjoying Ishmael a lot. Of course, I grew up in Seattle so "Here Comes the Brides" was pretty hard to miss.
What is "Here Comes the Brides" and could I enjoy the novel without getting the reference(s) ?
If I ever watched an episode of the show as a kid I don't remember it. I checked Netflix to see if it was available streaming but no luck, disk only. I read the Wikipedia entry for the series and that told me everything I needed to know to get what was going on. And Barbara Hambley explains everything anyway so I'm sure you don't even need that.

It looks like someone put up one episode, or at least chunks of it, with Steve Ihnat as a guest star on Youtube.

My Star Trek reading progress.

Last edited by ronny; March 13 2013 at 05:00 AM.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:51 AM   #1938
Use of Time
Commodore

Well suffice to say, I had no idea what the tie in was and enjoyed the book on its own. Hambley did a nice job of making it a seamless read for those unaware of the HCtB tie-in.
Old March 13 2013, 01:57 AM   #1939
Christopher
Writer

Indeed, I wonder if people who were fans of HCTB might have a problem with the book's portrayals, since it turns the show's villain into the hero (or at least antihero).

Old March 13 2013, 02:48 AM   #1940
Brit
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Indeed, I wonder if people who were fans of HCTB might have a problem with the book's portrayals, since it turns the show's villain into the hero (or at least antihero).
I was a fan of HCTB and I didn't have a problem with "Ishmael" at all, I thought it was a lot of fun. The thing is, there was a lot of females that liked Mark Leonard's character more than the others. He was the only reason my Mom watched the show in the first place. (She was also a Dr. McCoy, Scotty, Sarak fan in that order.)

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 05:07 AM   #1941
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

I wondered about that a little myself. But I get the impression HCTB wasn't too serious of a show so I'm not sure how bad of a villain Aaron Stemple could have been. After all, he was just trying to prevent some women from marrying so he would get a mountain and I'm guessing there was trickery involved but he wasn't resorting to murder, threats or the like. But hey, I could be totally wrong, it's guess work on my part.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 06:15 AM   #1942
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I saw HCTB first-run as a kid, and before I saw any Star Trek. It was a fun little show.

I enjoyed the crossover book. It made me want to rewatch HCTB. Wonder if it's available for streaming.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 06:47 AM   #1943
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I remember enjoying Ishmael a lot. Of course, I grew up in Seattle so "Here Comes the Brides" was pretty hard to miss.
What is "Here Comes the Brides" and could I enjoy the novel without getting the reference(s) ?

"Here Comes the Brides" was an old TV series (1968-1970) about mail-order brides in frontier Seattle. It's been decades since I read Ishmael but I imagine that it's perfectly possible to enjoy the book as a fun time-travel adventure in which Spock ends up in old Seattle even if you've never encountered the "Here Comes the Brides" characters before.

In fact, I suspect that lots of Trekkies have read and enjoyed the book without being aware of the "Here Comes the Brides" connection.
* raises hand, too *
Old March 13 2013, 07:55 AM   #1944
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

I got "Ishmael" as an e-book copy last year since I heard so much about it at this site and enjoyed it immensely and sort of ignored the HCTBs references. I guess it is by Barbara Hambly. I thought I had previously read it long ago because I failed to disambiguate it from the book with the same title by Quinn which is also something of an entertaining read.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:28 PM   #1945
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Reading First Shift:Legacy by Hugh Howey. I enjoyed WOOL so much I thought I'd read a bit more of the series.
Old March 13 2013, 02:31 PM   #1946
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Just started a re-read of 'Paths Of Disharmony'
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 02:42 PM   #1947
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ronny wrote: View Post
I wondered about that a little myself. But I get the impression HCTB wasn't too serious of a show so I'm not sure how bad of a villain Aaron Stemple could have been. After all, he was just trying to prevent some women from marrying so he would get a mountain and I'm guessing there was trickery involved but he wasn't resorting to murder, threats or the like. But hey, I could be totally wrong, it's guess work on my part.
My (fuzzy) memory is that Aaron Stemple was more of a rival to our heroes than an out-and-out villain. He worked against our heroes' interests, and wanted to see them fail, but, no, he wasn't tieing the Brides to railroad tracks or anything. He was a competitor, not an arch-nemesis.

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 13 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 02:53 PM   #1948
Christopher
Writer

I just finished re-reading Bantam's Star Trek: The New Voyages, the first professionally published Trek anthology from back in 1976, and one of the earliest books of original ST prose fiction ever published (only Mission to Horatius and Spock Must Die! preceded it). It's also probably the oldest surviving book in my personal Trek collection (I do have a couple that are physically older but that I haven't owned as long), and it's been ages since I actually read it. I read the stories so many times back in the early years that I still found them very familiar, but it was interesting to revisit them with a fresh perspective and see how well they held up.

The highlight of the volume is still the concluding story, "Mind-Sifter" by Shirley S. Maiewski. In concept it's a bit derivative of "City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Paradise Syndrome," but it's still pretty effective and emotionally engaging, and it's striking what a large and ambitious story it tells, spanning nearly 2 years of story time. (Although it has a couple of plot holes by virtue of being so focused on the personal consequences of its events that it glosses over the larger ramifications.) Another highlight is "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited" by Ruth Berman, in which Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley are beamed aboard the real Enterprise and have to play their parts like never before (the flipside to a previous fanfic story, "Visit to a Weird Planet," which can be found online). It's a bit implausible how quickly the characters accept the incredible situation, but it's still rather fun. I also think "Intersection Point" by Juanita Coulson holds up very well; it feels like it could've been an episode of the show. Maybe not one of the best episodes, but it does capture that '60s-TV flavor very well.

The other stories are kind of a mixed bag, and a couple suffer from feeling too derivative of specific episodes. And while they're probably rather sedate for stories that started out as fanfic, there is one story ("The Enchanted Pool" by Marcia Ericson) that arguably falls into the "Mary Sue" category, and one or two that have a vague hint of slashiness. (And "Mind-Sifter" does somewhat fall into the classic "hurt-comfort" fanfic category.) Overall, though, the anthology does a pretty good job feeling like Star Trek rather than indulging in the excesses fanfic can be known for.

I don't still own The New Voyages 2, so I won't be moving on to that. I remember it being less satisfying overall, which is why I didn't keep it.

Old March 14 2013, 02:33 AM   #1949
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

"Here Comes the Brides" was an old TV series (1968-1970) about mail-order brides in frontier Seattle. It's been decades since I read Ishmael but I imagine that it's perfectly possible to enjoy the book as a fun time-travel adventure in which Spock ends up in old Seattle even if you've never encountered the "Here Comes the Brides" characters before.

I didn't know it was related to a TV show until reading this thread. I read the book and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I did like the setting (since I live in Washington state, although I'm not near Seattle). The story overall was entertaining.

As for my reading right now, I'm almost done with To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh. Its a great book. It makes me want to read the other Khan books, except I can't stand Gary Seven (curse you, extremely boring mystery man. If only Assignment: Earth had never been written ). I like how this book portrays Khan and the others, and their story between the events of Space Seed and STII. It actually gave me some sympathy for Khan and his people. sure, they're not good guys, but they went through a lot, probably more than they deserved. I only have one question about something in the book, which I hope will be answered before the book is done

Overall, its been a great book (I have less than 70 pages left, so I can safely say that, unless the last 70 pages totally ruin the book, which is unlikely). After this, I'll be rereading Star Wars: Republic Commando: True Colors, then probably reading some of the sT: Titan books (I've only read the first one, which I'll be rereading first before reading some of the others).

Last edited by kirk55555; March 14 2013 at 06:23 PM.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:08 PM   #1950
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Started New Frontier: Martyr last night. Now I know everything's on Kindle I think I'm going to burn through the series.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote