Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 20 2012, 02:57 PM   #136
PKS8304
Lieutenant Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished Terry Goodkind's Soul of the Fire. Reading Krad's Buffy novel Blackout at the moment, love me some Spike lol
PKS8304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 05:27 PM   #137
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just wrote my review of John de Lancie and Peter David's I,Q. I've also just finished Troublesome Minds by Dave Galanter. I think I'm going to re-read the Gateways series just because, starting with One Small Step by Susan Wright.
Old January 20 2012, 09:57 PM   #138
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Myriad Universes: The Tears of Eridanus last night. I'm now reading Burn Notice: The Bad Beat.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 10:51 AM   #139
Fer
Commander

Finished up Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History. A really great anthology, I didn't feel there was a bad one in the bunch. Now about half way through Star Trek: Typhon Pact - The Struggle Within. I'd like for next up to be Star Wars: Darth Plagueis but there's a waiting list at the library, so for now it'll be Shatterpoint instead.
Old January 21 2012, 03:16 PM   #140
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Finished The Doomsday Key by James Rollins. Going to take a break this weekend to read a manuscript for Tor, then tackle The Devil's Colony next week . . . .
Old January 21 2012, 08:07 PM   #141
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

Finished up the S.C.E. novel Orphans. Not the best but not horrific either.

Started to crack Declassified
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 12:50 AM   #142
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Currently reading Walter Mosley's "The Wave"...
Old January 22 2012, 04:35 AM   #143
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It's been about a decade since I last tried to read The Wheel of Time, so I figured it'd be best to start from the very beginning.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 10:08 PM   #144
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Finished "The Wave"....

Coulda been great, but fell short after the first half....

I'm currently re-reading "Somebody Owes Me Money"....

(Then I have to do some reluctant readings for classes)...
Old January 23 2012, 01:00 AM   #145
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Fer wrote: View Post
Finished up Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History. A really great anthology, I didn't feel there was a bad one in the bunch. Now about half way through Star Trek: Typhon Pact - The Struggle Within. I'd like for next up to be Star Wars: Darth Plagueis but there's a waiting list at the library, so for now it'll be Shatterpoint instead.

You will like Star Wars: Darth Plagueis. I've read 151 pages of it so far and it is a very intense novel in some places.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 08:09 PM   #146
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I just finished Star Wars: Choices of One by Timothy Zahn, a follow-up to his Allegiance (2006). A small band of 'rogue' stormtroopers -- deserters turned do-good vigilantes -- hooks up with Mara Jade, the Emperor's Hand, to deal with a case of treason. It seems an Imperial governor in the hinterlands is offering the Rebels (who just recently destroyed the Death Star) a base in return for their assistance in resisting the expansion of a mysterious alien overlord. Luke, Leia, and Han have gone to see if this offering is a trap, and presently all of the characters are involved in a tangled plot of intrigue with plenty of action. Quite enjoyable, though I preferred reading about Jade and the Stormtroopers more than anyone else. Thrawn and Pallaeon are present, as well.

One of the secondary characters, a mysterious masked man named Lord Odo, confused me throughout the novel. I kept reading his lines in Constable Odo's gruff voice. Considering that Odo is supposed to mean 'unknown', and Lord Odo's identity and mission are a secret to the main characters, I wonder if it's a reference on Zahn's part..
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 08:35 PM   #147
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

^ I always took that as read myself. (if you pardon the pun).

I still fell for what should have been an obvious twist at the end of that book. I hope that Zhan writes more Star Wars...

I've also started on Darth Plagueis and thus far am loving it. (I did spent the first few chapters eagerly awaiting Palpatine's appearance. What can I say, as a character he's a very effective complete monster, even more so in this book.) Some very intriguing looks into both Sith philosophy and galactic politics and great characterizations make this a worthy addition to the star wars universe. (And I'm not even half way through yet...)

I'm currently reading my way through the Laundry series by Charles Stross. Its basically the British civil service vs Lovecraftian horrors with a lot of computer geek in jokes and homages to other horror/thriller writers. For example, the second book is a pastiche of the James Bond novels.
It's a lot better than I made it sound.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 08:46 PM   #148
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Thor Damar wrote: View Post
Its basically the British civil service vs Lovecraftian horrors
Whose side are we supposed to be on?
Old January 23 2012, 09:02 PM   #149
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Well, you and I are both British and I've worked in Her Majesties Civil Service so...

Cthulhu wgah'nagl fhtagn it is.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 09:31 PM   #150
Christopher
Writer

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
One of the secondary characters, a mysterious masked man named Lord Odo, confused me throughout the novel. I kept reading his lines in Constable Odo's gruff voice. Considering that Odo is supposed to mean 'unknown', and Lord Odo's identity and mission are a secret to the main characters, I wonder if it's a reference on Zahn's part..
Most unlikely. The name Odo has existed for over 12 centuries; it hardly originated with DS9. It's a Germanic name related to "Otto" (actually meaning "rich person"), and was common in the Middle Ages. There are a number of nobles, clerics, and other famous people who have borne the name over the centuries, and it's been used in works of fiction predating DS9 such as Lord of the Rings and The Dispossessed.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote