RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,383
Posts: 5,768,329
Members: 25,938
Currently online: 439
Newest member: Guard1an

TrekToday headlines

Trekonomics Book
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Shore Leave 37 Convention
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Two New ThinkGeek Trek-themed Items
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

July-August 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Scary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 27 2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant
 
Location: Germany
Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Is there any possibility for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in upcoming Novels? I mean the Borg without a queen, that don't assimilate lifeforms and are only interested in technology. Please bring back the ultimate users! Who thinks about this like me? Please post in my thread. Maybe we can move something!
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2015, 01:44 PM   #2
mickmike
Commander
 
mickmike's Avatar
 
Location: far beyond the stars
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Sorry Pal, the Borg are done. Personally I'd prefer something new and more frightening than the Borg. The galaxy is a big place, and it's possible that Starfleet's return to exploration after the various typhon pact crises, may find something lurking in the dark,
mickmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant
 
Location: Germany
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

It's sad that the only time we got to see them again after Q Who, was in Peter David's Vendetta! There doesn't seem to be any fanfiction about them, either! Strange, if one thinks how beloved they were...
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Kilana2
Fleet Captain
 
Kilana2's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Franconia
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

You'd better rewatch the old episode or re-read Vendetta and the other old TNG novels. As to the fate of the Borg, read Destiny or Kirsten Beyer's Voyager Relaunch novels. The Borg were properly dealt with. If you don't like what happened to them, it's your loss. There are more pressing matters in the upcoming novels. The Typhon Pact and The Fall novels for instance (already published or going to be published by Cross Cult)
Novels which take place during the shows are most unlikely. Honestly, I'm not interested in another Borg story arc. Discussions about older Borg novels are just fine, though.
__________________
Have Fun - Will Travel.

Last edited by Kilana2; June 27 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Kilana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

The reason the "Q Who Borg" didn't stick around is because they were too limited a concept to tell multiple stories about. They were an impersonal force of nature, and drama requires personal stakes. You can tell a story about characters struggling against a hurricane, but it gets repetitive if they just keep tackling more hurricanes. The only way to get more stories out of the Borg was to personalize the stakes. So it was necessary to change the concept of the Borg to bring a more personal element to them, whether by giving them an interest in assimilating individuals, liberating drones and having them develop personalities, or establishing a "Queen" to speak for the Collective as a whole. I wasn't crazy about all of the changes they made, but I can see why they found them dramatically necessary. Sure, a lot of fans wish the Borg had remained an implacable, faceless foe, but those fans didn't have to come up with fresh and viable story ideas.
__________________
Written Worlds -- Christopher L. Bennett's blog and webpage
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Christopher wrote: View Post
The reason the "Q Who Borg" didn't stick around is because they were too limited a concept to tell multiple stories about. They were an impersonal force of nature, and drama requires personal stakes. You can tell a story about characters struggling against a hurricane, but it gets repetitive if they just keep tackling more hurricanes. The only way to get more stories out of the Borg was to personalize the stakes. So it was necessary to change the concept of the Borg to bring a more personal element to them, whether by giving them an interest in assimilating individuals, liberating drones and having them develop personalities, or establishing a "Queen" to speak for the Collective as a whole. I wasn't crazy about all of the changes they made, but I can see why they found them dramatically necessary. Sure, a lot of fans wish the Borg had remained an implacable, faceless foe, but those fans didn't have to come up with fresh and viable story ideas.

End of topic really.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 09:24 AM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Not "Q Who" Borg, but the "Best of Both Worlds" variety return in DC comics' "The Worst of Both Worlds" and it's quite interesting to see how they imagine the assimilation of Earth going in a pre-First Contact continuity.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant
 
Location: Germany
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Christopher wrote: View Post
The reason the "Q Who Borg" didn't stick around is because they were too limited a concept to tell multiple stories about. They were an impersonal force of nature, and drama requires personal stakes. You can tell a story about characters struggling against a hurricane, but it gets repetitive if they just keep tackling more hurricanes. The only way to get more stories out of the Borg was to personalize the stakes. So it was necessary to change the concept of the Borg to bring a more personal element to them, whether by giving them an interest in assimilating individuals, liberating drones and having them develop personalities, or establishing a "Queen" to speak for the Collective as a whole. I wasn't crazy about all of the changes they made, but I can see why they found them dramatically necessary. Sure, a lot of fans wish the Borg had remained an implacable, faceless foe, but those fans didn't have to come up with fresh and viable story ideas.
Thank you for your reply! I really love "Watching the clock" and the "Rise of the Federation" Novels!

Wouldn't it be an idea for a new DTI Novel to explain the changes of the Borg in later canon! Maybe they were caused by the Temporal Cold War. I think it also would be great to see the Destruction of Guinan's Homeworld in a Novel!
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 12:20 PM   #9
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

No more Borg. Please...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant
 
Location: Germany
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
No more Borg. Please...
I don't mean the stupid and boring Queen-Adoring Spacezombies from First Contact or Voyager! It's the fearsome, cold, mysterious
and deadly force of nature, that the original concept provides, that i'm after!
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Well, they were certainly a more forbidable foe in their early days, but by the time TNG and then Voyager had finished with them, they were spent.

Destiny put them out of their misery and I'm not in a hurry to see them again in any guise.
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant
 
Location: Germany
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

@Christopher: One point i didn't understand in Destiny was why did the Borg just destroy all the Tech they encountered? They could have simply disected the ships and integrated their technology! City scooping would also have been deadly to the planetary population, as in space there is no oxygen...
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Unimatrix Q wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be an idea for a new DTI Novel to explain the changes of the Borg in later canon! Maybe they were caused by the Temporal Cold War.
Actually I already addressed the differences between the TNG and FC/VGR varieties of Borg in Greater Than the Sum.
__________________
Written Worlds -- Christopher L. Bennett's blog and webpage
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 02:27 PM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Unimatrix Q wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
No more Borg. Please...
I don't mean the stupid and boring Queen-Adoring Spacezombies from First Contact or Voyager! It's the fearsome, cold, mysterious
and deadly force of nature, that the original concept provides, that i'm after!
Although adding a Queen to the Borg has always been somewhat controversial among fandom, it actually is in line with some of the original work done with the Borg in the early development stages on TNG, in which the Borg were meant to be organized similarly to insects. A lot of this was abandoned due to budgetary reasons, but the bottom line is the addition of a Queen really isn't as much of a betrayal of the Borg's origins as many make it seem.

And since it was TBOBW and the concept of assimilation that put the Borg on pop culture's spotlight, that's the reason it's those Borg who we continue to revisit.

The "Q Who Borg" are really nothing more than a budget friendly version of a year's worth of story development not yet refined into what they would later be known for in mainstream circles. And that's why they aren't revisited.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Unimatrix Q
Lieutenant
 
Location: Germany
Re: Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Unimatrix Q wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be an idea for a new DTI Novel to explain the changes of the Borg in later canon! Maybe they were caused by the Temporal Cold War.
Actually I already addressed the differences between the TNG and FC/VGR varieties of Borg in Greater Than the Sum.
I like this novel, but i was talking more about the changes of the Borg from a techcollecting real collective to an assimilation driven, queengoverned Hivemind than the technological changes and the natural born Borg the TNG Crew met.

The original Borg are also a great analogy about the consumerism of this days, while the later Borg are more about uniformity and mainstream thinking.

Last edited by Unimatrix Q; June 28 2015 at 03:47 PM.
Unimatrix Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.