Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 23 2011, 08:41 AM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Were the "Odo Explores Love" Episodes Slow and Boring?

I was watching A Simple Investigation (Now there's and episode that I'm sure hasn't been brought up much this year) tonight and was wondering something. People tend to like the Odo explores love themes that went throughout the series, like this one, Fascination, Crossover, episodes like that. However, I'm watching this one and wondering why do all these episodes have to be so slow. I mean they might have good character moments, but was this episode or Crossover memorable to anyone else? Of course things got better once Odo and Kira finally got together (Which in itself took quite a long time) but before then I'm not sure I liked this theme of the series very much.

Also, was it me or did Odo seem a bit out of character in this episode. He's always more concerned with his work and never lets his gaurd down, yet here he starts to love a woman who has lied to him so many times and who he has just met. The ending was good though, but back to the original question. Were these episodes where Odo explores a relationship tedious?
Old December 23 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Were the "Odo Explores Love" Episodes Slow and Boring?

No, I found them to be a nice respite set against all the war and bloodshed. I loved those episodes, because Odo was a fascinating character worth exploring in depth, and his pairing with Kira was a lovely turn of events. I quite enjoyed them and found them engaging and worthwhile.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

I was watching Crossfire last evening. When Odo destroyed his quarters, and was just sitting there are the end, that was a slow, slow scene.

The thing that gets me is that, while I like Odo, they have to write in awkward physical stances to convey emotion - he can't cry. And that makes it slow. He does a clown posture, without the nose.
Old December 23 2011, 04:23 PM   #4
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I like slow and boring. Well, not boring, but I do enjoy slow stories if they're handled well. Boardwalk Empire for example is extremely slow, but I love it partly because of that.
Old December 23 2011, 04:44 PM   #5
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I thought Crossover was quite memorable, espeically MirrorOdo's obvious bromance with our Bashir.

...oh, did you mean Crossfire?

In any event, I generally liked the "Let's explore Odo" episodes.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 05:17 PM   #6
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
...oh, did you mean Crossfire?
Yes, Yes I did.
Old December 23 2011, 05:36 PM   #7
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

I would've loved the episode where Odo and Kira finally got together, exept that stupid Vic Fontaine had to ruin it for me.
Old December 24 2011, 02:00 AM   #8
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Slow and boring? No. Perhaps they may have been slowly (some might say deliberately) paced. But I was rarely bored by the explorations of Odo's character. Unless, Lwaxana was involved. And even then, I found that, in those episodes, the presentation of her character was more palatable than what we saw in TNG.
Old December 24 2011, 09:06 PM   #9
billcosby
Commodore

No where near as mind numbingly boring as the "past trill host" snoozers that Dax drags us through!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 11:14 PM   #10
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Now now, "Facets" was pretty cool.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2011, 03:58 AM   #11
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I found a noncorporeal/nonbiological being falling in love to be too farfetched. Silly, since so much of Trek is farfetched. But it just seemed another of those writers' room dart-at-the-dartboard moves: Hey, let's have ____ fall in love with ______!
Old December 29 2011, 06:51 AM   #12
Paradon
Rear Admiral

Odo and the relationship with Kira is complicated and worth exploring in depth. It took a while because he was a shape shifter and she was a humonoid species. Kira wasn't really that attracted to Odo in the beginning because I guess he was a shape shifter. Plus Odo doesn't really talk about his feelings...or at least he tried not to show how he really felt. It's hard for him to open up to someone. That's why it took quite a while to write about Kira beginning to understand Odo and eventually fell in love with him.
Old December 30 2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Paradon
Rear Admiral

I think Odo really like Bajoran women...if you asked me. There is something calm and peaceful about religeous people and it helps shape shifters deal with the chaos in the universe. The universe is chaotic! I guess religeon takes some of that away.
Old December 31 2011, 12:53 AM   #14
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Paradon wrote: View Post
I think Odo really like Bajoran women...if you asked me. There is something calm and peaceful about religeous people and it helps shape shifters deal with the chaos in the universe.
Ummm ... I wouldn't exactly identify Kira as the epitome of "calm and peaceful."
Old December 31 2011, 01:14 AM   #15
BennyRussel
Commander

I just didn't get it with Odo's romantic sagas. I mean - are changelings really male or female. I know they can take the form of a male or female, but isn't that just an arbitrary choice? If the scientist that found Odo had been a female, would Odo have been a female? When Odo became a hawk, was it a male hawk?

I just think it was unnecessary and raised more questions than answers.

If they needed him to fall in love, I think it would have been more worthwhile for Odo to fall in love with another changeling - or maybe the great link itself.

I know they needed a romantic interest for Kira, but it just felt like it was forced.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote