RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,750
Posts: 5,433,365
Members: 24,838
Currently online: 458
Newest member: Mei'konda

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old December 15 2011, 08:33 PM   #16
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

is 'the time traveler' an animated movie?

i'm mainly looking for 'real' movies.
ReadyAndWilling is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 10:37 AM   #17
Yevetha
Commodore
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

Outlaw Star.

The adventures of an outlaw crew of an advanced starship. Its a sci fy-fantasy starring a pirate-smuggler crew and unlike many japanese sci fi it has different alien species in it, like Farscape or Andromeda.

8 out of 10.
Yevetha is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 12:58 PM   #18
saturn5
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

Godzilla vs the Smog monster, how the Oscars missed it I don't know
saturn5 is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 01:01 PM   #19
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

Rudolph the Red Nosed Vulcan wrote: View Post
Casshern

Pure style over substance, digital backlot pretentiousness in the style of Sky Captain and 300.
I thought it was nice to look at. Subtitles made no sense at all though, and in places were just totally missing, I couldn't understand half of what was going on.

There's a few good sci-fis come out of South Korea as well. I recommend The Host (monster movie), and Natural City (Blade Runner - esque sci-fi).
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 02:01 PM   #20
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral
 
The Laughing Vulcan's Avatar
 
Location: At The Laughing Vulcan's party...
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
is 'the time traveler' an animated movie?

i'm mainly looking for 'real' movies.
Yeah, it's live action

Here it is in Amazon. Apparently it's out next year in the US.

I watched the UK release last year.

All the movies I mentioned are live action, although some are based on manga, and have anime equivalents too. It's easy to get mixed up with the Death Note movies for instance.
__________________
"Don't try to live so wise. Don't cry 'cause you're so right.
Don't dry with fakes or fears, 'Cause you will hate yourself in the end."

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 04:34 PM   #21
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

^^ That movie sounds pretty good. I will have to check it out!

My recommendation is: "The Princess Blade"... Fantastic movie.. Really nice FX and a good story.
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 05:46 PM   #22
Leroy
Fleet Captain
 
Leroy's Avatar
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

ReadyAndWilling wrote:
i'm mainly looking for 'real' movies.
Anime stuff is just as legit Japanese cinema as the live action stuff if not more so. The reason the Japanese went for more animation than live action was because they don't have a Hollywood type industry to fall back on so they went the animation route. With anime you get plenty of robots too so it's win win.

As for live action Japanese movies I like the various Kaiju movies like Godzilla and what not. I am also very fond of Kurosawa's films.
Leroy is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 09:24 PM   #23
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Location: Sephiroth
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

if you want a good monster flick, id recommend Zeiram & Zeiram 2 the anime miniseries is pretty good, too, don't pupu anime just because it's a different visual media
__________________
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline  
Old December 16 2011, 09:53 PM   #24
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

I'm a big Kurosawa nut. Just got into his stuff in the past year or so, he's made some great movies.

This is a great thread for movie suggestion. I'll be checking a lot of these out.
__________________
I made an 8-bit style RPG, here it is
I'm getting married on July 19, 2014.
LitmusDragon is offline  
Old December 17 2011, 04:25 AM   #25
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I'm a big Kurosawa nut. Just got into his stuff in the past year or so, he's made some great movies.

This is a great thread for movie suggestion. I'll be checking a lot of these out.
He's made some of the greatEST movies!
Forbin is offline  
Old December 17 2011, 06:18 AM   #26
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

Rudolph the Red Nosed Vulcan wrote: View Post
ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
is 'the time traveler' an animated movie?

i'm mainly looking for 'real' movies.
Yeah, it's live action

Here it is in Amazon. Apparently it's out next year in the US.

I watched the UK release last year.

All the movies I mentioned are live action, although some are based on manga, and have anime equivalents too. It's easy to get mixed up with the Death Note movies for instance.
oh so it's not out yet?

the only movie called 'the time traveler' i could find was an anime movie.
ReadyAndWilling is offline  
Old December 17 2011, 06:39 AM   #27
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

Leroy wrote: View Post
ReadyAndWilling wrote:
i'm mainly looking for 'real' movies.
Anime stuff is just as legit Japanese cinema as the live action stuff if not more so. The reason the Japanese went for more animation than live action was because they don't have a Hollywood type industry to fall back on so they went the animation route. With anime you get plenty of robots too so it's win win.

As for live action Japanese movies I like the various Kaiju movies like Godzilla and what not. I am also very fond of Kurosawa's films.
i've got no issue with anime, but i'd just prefer to see some live action in the mix.
ReadyAndWilling is offline  
Old December 17 2011, 06:41 AM   #28
timothy
Rear Admiral
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Location: chester's mill, maine
View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
Anything by Miyazaki - Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away are at the top of my list. Castle in the Sky has especially mind-bending visuals.

Most of the Japanese movies I like are not sf/f, go figure...

After Life - oddball movie about life after death, but not in an sf/f way.

Departures - another excellent movie about death.

Kwaidan - four stories based on Japanese ghost stories, very cool movie (and thanks for reminding me of this, I'm due for a rewatch.)

The Twilight Samurai and The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - two very different take on the genre.

Tampopo - really different.

Akira Kurasawa's Dreams - really really different.

Ugetsu, Ikiru, Harakiri - intense human drama.

Hidden Fortress, Ran, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo - obvious suggestions, but just in case you haven't seen these already, they should be at the top of your list.
damn you beat me to it, I was going to mention Hidden Fortress fantastic movie.
__________________
I am currently reading: poltergeist by kat richardson

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline  
Old December 17 2011, 06:50 AM   #29
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

timothy wrote: View Post
Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
Anything by Miyazaki - Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away are at the top of my list. Castle in the Sky has especially mind-bending visuals.

Most of the Japanese movies I like are not sf/f, go figure...

After Life - oddball movie about life after death, but not in an sf/f way.

Departures - another excellent movie about death.

Kwaidan - four stories based on Japanese ghost stories, very cool movie (and thanks for reminding me of this, I'm due for a rewatch.)

The Twilight Samurai and The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi - two very different take on the genre.

Tampopo - really different.

Akira Kurasawa's Dreams - really really different.

Ugetsu, Ikiru, Harakiri - intense human drama.

Hidden Fortress, Ran, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo - obvious suggestions, but just in case you haven't seen these already, they should be at the top of your list.
damn you beat me to it, I was going to mention Hidden Fortress fantastic movie.
is this it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Fortress
ReadyAndWilling is offline  
Old December 17 2011, 07:01 AM   #30
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral
 
zakkrusz's Avatar
 
Location: The Wired
Re: Any good Japanese movies to watch?

My list of good Japanese live action I've seen is pretty short. Doubly so if you wanted to limit it to sci-fi/fantasy.

Death Note
Death Note 2: The Last Name
Gantz
Gantz: Perfect Answer
__________________
"There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."
—Yang Wen-li-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
zakkrusz is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.