To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 3 2014, 08:36 PM   #1
MadMan1701A
Commodore

3D Printing

Hey guys... It's been a while.

I've been busy with my new FlashForge 3D printer lately... basically, it's a clone of the original Makerbot 3D printer.

After about 2 weeks of messing with it, I was able to figure out how to modify some of my 3D models to print.

I started with my "Prime Alternative" Enterprise model, and I think it came out well.

It's a total of 8 different parts, superglued together.

I just printed a second copy, with a few more refined details that I am going to paint and finish nice.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: 3D Printing

That's cool! how big a model were you able to create?

Eta: more questions

how much did you have to simplify the detail on the cg models to work with the printer? What file type does it work with? Are you taking requests? How much do you charge?
Old March 3 2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Q2UnME
Commodore

Yes, I'll chime in too.

Looks to be, judging by the poster size, bigger than 1/1000th. scale. Did you manage to get it up to 18" long like the first TOS model? How much fine detail are you able to do on this type of printer?

How much for the parts and peices? I want to build one! Forbin Would like to kitbash - he'll need 12!

Super cool .... so jealous...

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Awesome model. I know that there is tons of Star Wars 3D printed stuff, but I never seem to see any for Star Trek.

I liked the "scrapped" one in the background. I'm assuming you snap all the pieces together then? That would certainly get around the issues of a small printer, although the seams might look a bit odd up close.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:29 AM   #5
MadMan1701A
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
That's cool! how big a model were you able to create?

Eta: more questions

how much did you have to simplify the detail on the cg models to work with the printer? What file type does it work with? Are you taking requests? How much do you charge?
This one is about 11 inches long. I was trying to match sizes with the Polar Lights 1:1000 kit. I'm about 1/8th inch shorter that that, but it's close enough.

I didn't really simplify much, the Makerbot Makerware software does most of that. I did have to exaggerate the phaser banks and stuff like that, so that they would show up. The resolution isn't high enough for grid lines and stuff like that, though.

I am planning on taking requests, and I will eventually have some kits available. E-mail or PM me and we'll figure something out.

Q2UnME wrote: View Post
Yes, I'll chime in too.

Looks to be, judging by the poster size, bigger than 1/1000th. scale. Did you manage to get it up to 18" long like the first TOS model? How much fine detail are you able to do on this type of printer?

How much for the parts and peices? I want to build one! Forbin Would like to kitbash - he'll need 12!

Q2UnME
Hehe. I'll probably work up to something that big, but I was trying to avoid cutting the saucer up too much. That's really my limitation on size. 1/1000 is a pretty popular scale, though.

I don't know about selling this version of the Enterprise as a kit... I'll have to ask my partner Rick if that's OK, since I built it for him.

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Awesome model. I know that there is tons of Star Wars 3D printed stuff, but I never seem to see any for Star Trek.

I liked the "scrapped" one in the background. I'm assuming you snap all the pieces together then? That would certainly get around the issues of a small printer, although the seams might look a bit odd up close.
Well, the one in the background is the little Polar Lights model I was using as reference. This one is pretty simple... I've just glued the parts together flush. When I finish one, I'm using joint filler to fill in the gaps, and I'll sand them smooth.

More later guys... If the weather would warm up outside, I could start painting.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old March 4 2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Ptrope
Agitator

That looks fantastic! I might want to compare notes - I got one of those for my birthday in November, and the biggest question I have is one of scaling - I haven't been able to find documentation that states how I can set up a file so that if I want to print something exactly 1.5" long, for example, my measurement in the file (I design in Lightwave) needs to be a specific dimension (I discovered that I need to enlarge my LW files 40x in order to have them printed the size I want from Shapeways ).

Congrats on the printer - are you using support material as your second 'color?' I just ordered a spool of HIPS that I hope will get here soon .
Old March 4 2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

You

Lucky

Wonderful

Man!

I tried to get my insignia designed ship printed at shapeways, but couldn't reduce my dimensions enough to get it to the 1/2500 i wanted.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:03 PM   #8
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Ptrope wrote: View Post
That looks fantastic! I might want to compare notes - I got one of those for my birthday in November, and the biggest question I have is one of scaling - I haven't been able to find documentation that states how I can set up a file so that if I want to print something exactly 1.5" long, for example, my measurement in the file (I design in Lightwave) needs to be a specific dimension (I discovered that I need to enlarge my LW files 40x in order to have them printed the size I want from Shapeways ).

Congrats on the printer - are you using support material as your second 'color?' I just ordered a spool of HIPS that I hope will get here soon .
Awesome. I did a lot of reading in the Flashforge Google Group before I started doing any printing, and decided my best bet was to use Makerware, and the official Makerbot firmware on it. A lot of people are running custom firmware and stuff, but I didn't want to mess with any of that.

What I've been doing, when I build the object in Blender, is that I use one Blender Unit as an inch. When I import it into Makerware, it converts the units and scales it correctly. If you design it in Millimeters, Makerware fixes it automatically.

I've been just using the single extruder... I found that the second extruder can touch the print sometimes, and mess it up. I ended up putting in a shim to raise it up slightly.

HIPS dissolves in water, right? I wonder how long it has to sit for it to dissolve totally.

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
You

Lucky

Wonderful

Man!

I tried to get my insignia designed ship printed at shapeways, but couldn't reduce my dimensions enough to get it to the 1/2500 i wanted.
If you want to e-mail me the model, I'll see if it's possible. 1/2500 is pretty small, though.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old March 4 2014, 06:21 PM   #9
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use the print as a master (sanded and smoothed), and make a mold from it? Then use the mold to make as many copies as you'd like?
Old March 4 2014, 09:46 PM   #10
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Not sure... these things are only using about $1 worth of plastic, if that.

And, I wouldn't be able to say that the kits are custom 3D printed.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old March 5 2014, 12:24 AM   #11
3danim8d
Ensign

Awesome!!
3danim8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Ensign Ro-
Commander

View Ensign Ro-'s Twitter Profile

Very, very cool! Great...another toy to add to the wish list. ;-)
Ensign Ro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:14 AM   #13
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Again Ricky... Awesome Job Partner
...and remember, John did promise me our Prime Alternative SFX Physical 350 scale will be completed before our 4 year Anniversary of the PA design project in May; and will have our Con Exhibition Base and our PA SFX Class-F Shuttle (12") will both be ready for Comic-Con San Diego this summer!!!

PA Exhibition Con-Base with active video screen animations, above, also designed by Ricky "MadMan" Wallace and Rick Carthew

Last edited by 1701TPA; March 6 2014 at 08:00 PM.
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

Q2UnME wrote: View Post
Yes, I'll chime in too.

Q2UnME
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 04:56 PM   #15
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Are the pieces hollow or solid?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote